Video games for SCIENCE! Gamers help study protein folding

meatsounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By meatsounds

From The New York Time:  Video Gamers Tackle the Complexities of Protein Folding

In a match that pitted video game players against the best known computer program designed for the task, the gamers outperformed the software in figuring out how 10 proteins fold into their three-dimensional configurations.

Proteins are essentially biological nano-machines that carry out myriad functions in the body, and biologists have long sought to understand how the long chains of amino acids that make up each protein fold into their specific configurations.

In May 2008, researchers at the University of Washington made a protein-folding video game called Foldit freely available via the Internet. The game, which was competitive and offered the puzzle-solving qualities of a game like Rubik’s Cube, quickly attracted a dedicated following of thousands of players.

It turns out that, when enough gamers work together, the same skills that we use to beat games like Tetris and Picross 3D can outperform high-end research computers and modelling software. The problems of understanding protein folding is something which can be mapped onto 3D puzzles, which our meat brains seem to be very good at solving. Yay, us!
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

I could do that. Or I could just download Folding@Home onto my PC or PS3 and just let it run in the background.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MrCandleguy

Awesome, as if us gamers werent amazing already.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I tried something like this but I used SETI@Home. I gave up after a while, usually everyone does with these kind of things.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@eroticfishcake said:
" I could do that. Or I could just download Folding@Home onto my PC or PS3 and just let it run in the background. "
This. 
meatsounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By meatsounds
@sodiumCyclops: 
It's not running something on your home machine, like SETI@Home or Folding@Home, it's a game you play. Then the people in the lab compare the best answers by the pool of gamers against the best solutions produced by their software models. It's not distributed computing, it's distributed gaming. 

It turns out that humans outperform computers with this task. The computer tries to brute-force it with statistical methods, whereas our meat brains are much better at picking out and exploiting patterns. When enough gamers compare their notes, the end result is better than what the best number-crunching computers can manage -- for this experiment, gamers produced more efficient solutions for how the proteins fold than computers for 7 out of 10 cases, and for two of those the gamer solution was much better than the computer one.
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@meatsounds: This was very interesting, thanks for the link! Makes you wonder how many of the worlds best minds are hanging out on neogaf solving publisher's ARG's.