Were you raised to eat healthy? (Question of the Day 1-12-11)

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fwylo

Yes. I'm the pinnacle of human evolution because of it.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By astrotriforce

I tried to avoid middle-ground answers, because really you either DO eat healthy or you don't. "kind of" isn't really an answer when you think about it. Also it makes the poll easier when it's simpler.  

I was NOT raised to eat healthy in the least. I still dont' because I drink way too much soda and sugary drinks. But starting this year I'm going to really make a push. I'm trying to eat more fish, and eat fish at least once a week. I'm also going to try to eat salads regularly, and make another push to cut down drinking soda.  

So were you guys raised to eat healthy or not? If so, did you keep up the practice?

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oatz

No. I eat healthy as hell now, have maybe one cheat meal every two months at the most.  

Feels good man.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

compared to other people, fuck yes. however i dislike it and love junk food and bread and candy, so B

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

My stepmother would make macaroni and cheese homemade and put bacon bits in it and that would be our whole meal.  No vegetables or grains or fruits.  This happened all the time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

No.. I wasn't even raised to brush my teeth -_-'

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By melcene
@astrotriforce said:
" I tried to avoid middle-ground answers, because really you either DO eat healthy or you don't. "kind of" isn't really an answer when you think about it. Also it makes the poll easier when it's simpler.   I was NOT raised to eat healthy in the least. I still dont' because I drink way too much soda and sugary drinks. But starting this year I'm going to really make a push. I'm trying to eat more fish, and eat fish at least once a week. I'm also going to try to eat salads regularly, and make another push to cut down drinking soda.   So were you guys raised to eat healthy or not? If so, did you keep up the practice? "
I've cut down on my soda intake even more since the beginning of the year.  I have always been fairly good about junk food as in candy and whatnot, but not so good about junk food as in fast food.  Working on choosing healthier meals over not-so-healthy meals.   Also going to work on adding salads to our dinners more regularly.   My main problem is I am in love with my carbs.

Oh yeah, and for original question, no I wasn't really raised to eat healthy.  Not that I was raised that junk food is okay, but I wasn't really raised to think about how my food will affect my body.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Fajita_Jim

My siblings and I weren't raised to really pay attention to WHAT we eat, but rather HOW MUCH we eat. We're all in our 30's now and at ideal weights so it can't be too bad.

I've always believed it's not WHAT you eat but HOW MUCH. Mass has to come from somewhere, and even fatty foods don't get inside you and suddenly increase their mass.

I've always wondered, about obese people, is there a time when they look down and figure something isn't working? How can that sneak up on you?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

Yes because our traditional food is healthy and flavorful (You know, actual vegetables and spices and non-processed meats)

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GunnBjorn

Yes, but in a moderate sense. Not super healthy. Just be sure you eat a proper meal that's nutritious. The first thing my mom learned me to cook were simple pasta and rice dishes, accompanied with a salad. I lay down on the booze in 2010 and have been a vegetarian (predominantly) since 2005. Overall, I eat healthy. My only vice is chocolate. Man, I love that stuff!
fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By fearthephins

Ah let's see ... I'm kind of in the middle. My mom was all for eating healthy but my dad was one who used to just buy the foods we liked so more often then not it was unhealthy. I live with my mom though so I guess I'll go with the I was brought up to eat well. I used to eat really poorly before...at one time in my life, eating way too much and then another time in my life, eating extremely little. Now, I eat decently...I try to eat well but sometimes I cave and eat things I should not. In the long run though I'd like to believe that on average I more or less eat fairly well :)

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i eat lots of fish (no suprise there), salads and foods with small traces of salt in them cause thats how my mom cooks her food.  right now im trying to eat more food, especially meat

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

My parents had a garden and we always sat down for dinner. The whole food pyramid thing was in full effect. I still eat pretty good. I like my veggies, fruits and then come the meats. I don't eat candy and rarely drink sodas, but I love my beer.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Nah.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By WickedCobra03

I would say compared to most people yes, but I think a lot of times no.  Like for example, my Dad would a lot of times only have coffee in the morning and then wait until dinner to eat and he would think that would be fine for younger kids (under 10) and they shouldn't get hungry either.  Or my dad would have us clear our plates constantly for dinner and then 3 hours later put a pizza in the oven because he was hungry and therefore we were hungry again (or as he thought).   My dad didn't go for fast food a lot though which was probably good.

My mom was pretty good with eating healthy.  Sure, we could eat cookies and crisps, but they were limited.  Fast food and such was often limited to once every 2 weeks. 

And I guess both were pretty good about getting us our veggies and fruits though.  Each meal at least had one of something in, but it was always the meat that tended to be the main focus of the meal as with most american house holds. 

I would say overall, they didn't do a bad job.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By crusader8463

No, and it makes me mad to know so many of my problems in my life could have been avoided if I didn't get all those bad habits growing up. I keep trying to undo the learning, but it never sticks.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Brendan

I was raised by a marathon runner. 
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By StarvingGamer

I would argue that the definition of eating healthy is fungible.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@astrotriforce said:
" I tried to avoid middle-ground answers, because really you either DO eat healthy or you don't. "kind of" isn't really an answer when you think about it. Also it makes the poll easier when it's simpler.   I was NOT raised to eat healthy in the least. I still dont' because I drink way too much soda and sugary drinks. But starting this year I'm going to really make a push. I'm trying to eat more fish, and eat fish at least once a week. I'm also going to try to eat salads regularly, and make another push to cut down drinking soda.   So were you guys raised to eat healthy or not? If so, did you keep up the practice? "
That's ridiculous. It's not black and white. The spectrum of healthy eating is very large. You can go from beinga  massive fat ass from consuming nothing but processed sugar and plastic to mildly over weight from a little too much junk food, to a balance that keeps you healthy but not quite to the point where you have the perfect diet. There is absolutely a "kind of" because there are a billion and one diets out there, ranging from shit to healthy as shit. I don't live on a diet of entirely processed, fatty, sugary foods, but I still consume enough pizza and pop and other junk food that I'm not on the bleeding edge of health. Sure, you can cut the spectrum of healthy diet into "killing you" and "at least good enough to keep you alive" but it would be silly to do that.

Growing up, eating healthy was hard in my household a lot of the time, but now I make sure not to consume anything that is downright terrible for me, but I certainly partake in guilty pleasures. I don't feel the need to be in pristine condition, and I consider good food to be all around better for me than food that makes me miserable. But also a lot of unhealthy food just grosses me the hell out, so I'm pretty healthy. I also make sure to make up for any extra shit I put in my body by working it off, and try to stick to unhealthy food that isn't full of things that are nasty chemicals of death. But fat and sugar I can work off for the most part so I don't mind going for a little extra. Generally GOOD food isn't unhealthy in the artificial bullshit sense, so I don't mind it. It's the processed shit that I stay away from. I mean, I'm not a crazy hippy like my mom who eats nothing but organic food, but I avoid the real bad shit, for the most part.
eagles_band

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By eagles_band
@crusader8463 said:
" No, and it makes me mad to know so many of my problems in my life could have been avoided if I didn't get all those bad habits growing up. I keep trying to undo the learning, but it never sticks. "
Yes, everything is your parents fault....
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainObvious

I'm a D-man.

ashyzup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ashyzup

I was. But since I worked in the big city, all I did was eat in fast-food restaurants each and everyday (too busy to cook!). My parents would always tell me to try to eat healthier food as they are often concerned my unhealthy diet would soon gravely affect my well-being..

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By crusader8463
@eagles_band said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" No, and it makes me mad to know so many of my problems in my life could have been avoided if I didn't get all those bad habits growing up. I keep trying to undo the learning, but it never sticks. "
Yes, everything is your parents fault.... "
I never claimed it was, but teaching your kid how to eat properly is a parents responsibility. Yes they can change later in life and learn how to, but, in case someone is not you and a perfect human being with no faults who never had to change an aspect of their life before, it's rather hard to change life styles and things you have been taught to do since birth.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'd say so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fajita_Jim said:
" My siblings and I weren't raised to really pay attention to WHAT we eat, but rather HOW MUCH we eat. We're all in our 30's now and at ideal weights so it can't be too bad.  I've always believed it's not WHAT you eat but HOW MUCH. Mass has to come from somewhere, and even fatty foods don't get inside you and suddenly increase their mass.  I've always wondered, about obese people, is there a time when they look down and figure something isn't working? How can that sneak up on you? "
@Fajita_Jim: I don't know if I had quite reached the level of obese, but I had been pretty overweight for much of my life. It didn't sneak up on me; I just didn't care enough about my weight to change my habits. But now I've lost a lot of weight from replacing soda with water. My whole family also went on a mostly chicken and broccoli diet from some service called Diets to Go for awhile, so that helped too.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hourai

Not at all, my family regularly munch on chips and drink pop between meals. Whenever I ask them to buy some healthier food for me to eat they act like I'm crazy. 

Suffice to say, after 17 years of this my body doesn't feel great. 

d_breeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By d_breeze

Since my mom controlled my diet when I was younger I always ate healthy (because my dad didn't really care what we ate when we were younger), but now I try to do so even more. It's harder keeping it up at school since there aren't as many options and I have less time to spend on food, but I do what I can...

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By WickedCobra03
@Brendan said:
" I was raised by a marathon runner.  "
Oh god, I am sorry.  There is one thing in eating healthy, but if you would have to be raised by a total health freak, it could possibly suck if they were as strict with you as they are with themselves...
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green

yeah, i would say so but i don't think anymore. i eat fast food two times a week for dinner. i eat salad, veggies, and meat for dinner.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Skytylz

I'd say so, I only drink a can of pop every few days or so and I rarely eat out.  I eat a lot of red meat too :)

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yes I was pretty much starved as a kid.