What are people "hoping for" with the new Star Trek TV Series

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

Its about damn time! I mean seriously, nine or more years off teh air....stupid.

Okay, so what we know is they are bringing Bryan Fuller, who launched his career writing for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager, will return to the television franchise as co-creator and executive producer of the new CBS Star Trek series with Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin as executive producers. The new series, produced by CBS Television Studios, will launch with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network in early 2017. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription service.

So people who know past Trek and have some good tv production chops, and it will be 'for better or worse' an online streaming show. I suppose the streaming part isn't bad unless the show budget is below $1 million per episode.

But what woudl you want from it?

I think it pretty obvious that this show will happen in the "new" movie Universe/Timeline with Vulcan destroyed, but that really changes nothing.

- I want a next Generation equivalent in the new timeline; i.e. fairly large ship, mixed crew and missions.

- I think its time for a non-human captain, but maybe a half human would be even better.

- I'd want an adherence to command structure without the ships being military run.. Tiny demonstrations of chain of command being used like saluting or everyone else stands when that captain stands, which demonstrate a chain of command and respect.

- Shuttles. I know it easier to use those stupid "mini-van" looking boxes; but, I'd like a proper Drop-ship looking thing that has a bit of menace when it wants to be. Maybe, allow it to have hull active-camouflage, so that when it dropping for diplomatic missions it looks beige/benign, but on military missions it take on camouflage or flat black for Spec Ops.

- Marines! Red Shirts are marines, they should stand outside of secured areas, the detachment on the ship should have their own CO. In fact that Red Shirt (Marine) CO should be one of the main cast. The Red Shirts (Marines) should almost never speak. It should be a running joke on the show that these stoic guys, protecting secured areas just don't speak - you just don't mess with them. Any military missions are 90% red Shirts and they run they operation. The Captain, XO, Doctor, Chief Engineer, or any high ranking command personal are hardly ever on strictly military style drops. At least half of the marines should be female, and at least two should be exotic aliens that might be useful in odd environments.

- Speaking of cast: Captain, Number One, Doctor, Chief Engineer, Intelligence Officer, Red Shirt Commanding Officer and one or two low level crew. No speaking role for the Science Officer, Navigator, or Helmsman so that the speaking roles can be taken by more interesting crew in this iteration of the show. I woudl like at least one Officer to be an alien who speaks Federation English, but does American Sign Lanaguage because their native language is not spoken at all despite this race having hearing - they sign everything out of cultural habit.

- I'd like at least one speaking role to be the AI of the ship. But, I also would want a 100% ban on any story line that is about the AI going wrong or killing anyone. The AI is intelligent and can pick up on crews emotional cues, but it is NOT sentient.. It is not aware of itself as 'a being', it feels no pain, it has no emotions of love, hate, anger, jealousy, or regret.

- The 1960s were a LONG TIME AGO. Just as the leap forward Gene Roddenberry saw were in the past shows, the new show MUST tackle new issues and new areas of advancement. So, the following technologies are now embraced by humanity without them being used a "crisis" or as "evil" - artificial intelligence, extended human life, genetic engineering, and the absence of permanent death except when the brain is destroyed. (BTW: When someones does die, it super shocking to the crew that is used to very long lives and medical miracles.)

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I think this is a pretty interesting discussion, because Star Trek has been so many things over the years/shows that it's pretty hard to pin down really specific "must-have" elements.

That said, I personally consider TNG/DS9 to be the most compelling of Trek and thus I hold a lot of hope that a new show would double down on what made those shows so strong.

Here's my laundry list:

• Put the show on a ship, but really make it about a specific region of space. Meaningful cultures, worlds, and events are a lot easier to develop and explore when writers/showrunners get a chance to routinely return to them (this is a big problem I had with Voyager, by the way)
  • Give the crew a specific mission from the get-go, more specific than simply "explore" (which, though great, has been done before). Their objectives will almost certainly change over time, but internal and external opinions about said mission become a great tool for developing characters and plot lines
  • The problems and issues faced should definitely have a strong philosophical slant, like many of the great TNG episodes - losing sight of that recreates boring "encounter/controversy of the week" routine. Not that it shouldn't be relevant at all, but I feel trying too hard to be topical will kill any genuine sense of wonder or curiosity in its world
  • More aliens for the crew, absolutely. I also think a smaller core group works great, maybe only five or six members to start. This allows for a potentially larger, more diverse supporting cast which maybe only needs to appear a few times a season. Post-'60s Star Trek really lives or dies based on the strength of the supporting cast I find
  • Technically speaking? Give them a big, powerful ship. Plenty of situations become more interesting when brute force is an option, but not really the ideal option - it tempts our better selves to try and find inventive solutions despite being able to win through strength. That said, it's nice once and a while to just bring the hammer down with a big old space battle

I do like a number of your ideas though, having Federation Marines - perhaps blokes who couldn't quite make it into Starfleet, as an example - aboard would add a neat dimension to the show.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I always thought a series based around a ship part of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers would be fun. The books series was pretty good.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I'll be happy as long as it sticks to what Star Trek has always been about, which is conversations about philosophy, ethics, morality, etc. Star Trek is at its best when it's a bunch of people talking about some difficult and penetrating decision, not when they're shooting shit and being all hollywood like the recent movies. The visual and design trappings around Star Trek are just too silly for that to be satisfying, imo. Leave the bombast and action and visual splendor to Star Wars, it's always done that a million times better. Star Trek works because it's smarter than that, and fills a different role.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I want it to be closer to TNG or DS9 and as far away from the new movies as possible. I don't want it to be the television equivalent of dumb action movies, which is what the two new movies ended up being. I want it to have a philosophical aspect like the older shows did.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Moonshadow101

If it absolutely must take place in the JJverse, five minutes into the first episode, Starfleet Medical announces that Transwarp Beaming causes space-AIDS and Starfleet bans its use forever. It is never mentioned again for the remainder of the series.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

It has to be TNG like, no one wants anything else. DS9 is a close second if there must be another series for consideration.

Someone once said they wanted it to be like Voyager. They're gone now.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prime universe. Time jump another 100 years. Large ship. Large enough to really sell the Ent-D's city in space idea rather than the hotel lobby it got snarked into. Hell, have an ep start in an outdoor filming location and you pan out and realize its INSIDE the ship. Give a reason for families and kids on such a dangerous posting. A Galaxy class ship on a continuing mission going to Farpoint Station on its first outing sorta implies these people aren't coming back anytime soon (even if TOS Ent came back to Earth despite being on a 5 year mission).

That would allow for you to do something somewhat radical and have two shows set on the same ship. Big problem with Trek was needing to film 26 eps a seasons to spread out costs, but then they went and kept setting spinoffs in completely different places requiring all new sets, costumes, makeup, and even CGI. Maybe a "best of the best" show following the command crew and a passengers/lower decks show where the schlubs and no names on your standard Trek show are ubergenius Olympic athletes to your normal folks. Same amount of Trek, but fewer fillers, more opportunities for strange characters and episode pairings that made DS9 so cool. Might allow for a broader base of actors/actresses as well without the commitment 26 eps require.

Stop introducing so many aliens of the week and flesh out what you already have a little more. Spock and Worf speaking so definitively about what their respective species believe and do should be the realm of madmen, especially as we have so much footage and dialogue that inevitably contradictions have taken place (Worf commenting on Klingons and their views on fear for example). Species have relative predilections based on genetics and culture, but not monolithically so unless a very good reason is provided (Vulcans have a decent one). This also goes for the naming conventions of human crewmembers where a collected list reads like an Anglo xenophobes dream.

Move past going back to TOS era threats for nostalgia's sake. Cardassians (or heck even the Ferengi) could have been sold a lot better had they conquered a TOS era threat rather than trying to compete with them for mindshare and predictably coming up short. Sure, the Kelvans are still out there, the Tholians are up to some real end game type shenanigans and maybe a god alien now considers the "modern" Federation an actual threat, but no more Klingon and Romulan threats as more than regional issues. If this is to be an optimistic setting about peace ultimately being the way, then those guys are way on the backburner. They simply couldn't keep up even when they did a tech exchange once upon a time. I'd say the same for TNG's threats, but they left large outs for why even the defeated Dominion could still be a threat let alone the Borg and 8472.

I like the faster action of JJ Trek. A solid break from iterative improvement of 60's TV sci fi capabilities. Like with Superman, if you aren't using Trek technology it should be SCARY fighting them. Not for their power (though that is not inconsiderable). But because of how suddenly you can be defeated when fighting it. Not even a blur, things just appear and stuff starts blowing up. Combat should not be lazy rolling puttering torpedoes, it should be fractions of lightspeed jousting.

Keep the morality plays, keep an eye to the future with a mind on predictable human foibles, make it big and make it good.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so at the risk of having a massively unpopular opinion- i want it to be SLOW. not boring mind you- but a major strength of trek is the time and care spent on gradual, complex character development. things like meaningful allegory and grounded conflict can't be established by a space battle- it makes me sound like an old man to say so, but i'd much rather get a darmok and jalad than a starfleet awakens.

i'm pretty bearish on this new series- especially since it's supposedly inhabiting the same universe as the JJ movies. i hope it succeeds- and i'll keep an open mind. but JJ trek isn't my trek- here's hoping they can convince me otherwise.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see good writing.

Calling out the Federation on being hypocritical jerks would be good too.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

i was shocked to hear DS9 thrown out there when you'd expect they would say "the new movie style." I loved how that show set up politics and had a really long arch that paid off.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want a Star Trek that's about science fiction again instead of the campy action crap that the recent movies have been.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to subscribe to some other service to watch it? wow, just put it on tv if it's not Netflix/Amazon Prime. Guess i'll have to pass.

It's crazy there hasn't been a star trek show in almost a decade. Anyway, I want slow motion judo chops, exploration of strange new worlds, weekly poker games, Captain and bridge crew going on away missions with at least one red shirt, and i hope it ties into the original time line and not the reboot. The movies are fun popcorn flix but c'mon star trek is a space epic meant for stories to be told over seasons and not 2 hours.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969

I might add I want the show to be HOPEFUL. There is no need for the overly gritty and overly war-like Trek we saw in DS9 and Voyager. I loved DS9 for story and characters, but I'd like Star Fleet to be the side that cares a bit more about people's and cultures rights over Star Fleet's security - even when it hurts them.

We need a hopeful view of the future more than ever! Our current world is so crazy, I think the message 'it does get better' is useful. I said I wanted Marines on the ship, but I want them to be philosophical warriors. In fact I'd like the Red Shirts to be the HARDEST part of Star Fleet to join. They are smart, have masters degrees in alien cultures, and can build anything with a ballpoint pen and chewing gum....even a rudimentary lathe.