what are "samples"?

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CountPickles

I've spoken to some musicians and they tend to have differing opinions about what samples are?

some artists use samples from other artists and incorporate them into their own songs, i.e. drum loops, bass lines, vocal loops etc.

some artists create their own loops and use them in live performances.

so, I guess my question is: are "samples" meant to denote something created or something stolen? or both?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By 49th  Online

Something borrowed. You take something and add to it or modify it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

Sampling is simply the act of using small section of a piece of music. It could be yours or anyone else's. Samples don't imply theft at all, especially if you clear them.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By casper_

i think a sample is a repurposed audio file. so anything that manipulates an actual audio recording as opposed to synthesis or midi or anything like that.

i guess a real obvious example would be the amen beat, which is from a soul tune, but it has been chopped up into miniatures ie snare, crash, ride, kick to allow people to make their own patterns.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CountPickles

so there's no differentiation if I create my own samples versus taking them from someone else? it seems there should be two categories for that, given that it leads to two different kinds of intent for artistic output

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By IBurningStar

To me, a sample means I am clearly taking something from someone else's work and using it in my own, however I am not trying to pass it off as my own creation. I mean, that is pretty much the definition.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

If you're into long-winded explanations, the Wikipedia page is a decent read, too :)

*reads Wikipedia for two hours*

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Canteu

@IBurningStar: You can sample your own work though.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CountPickles

@Ravenlight: yeah, i've read that (and it is quite a good read, I agree) but it sadly doesn't answer the question, as it, more or less, just states the different uses for samples. I'm asking if there are sub-categories for "sampling", specifically revolving around something created and something "borrowed".

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By casper_

@KatyGaGa: maybe if the person sampling someone else takes a significant portion of a tune ala ice ice baby but i disagree if the audio has been modified/ chopped up enough to have a different musical purpose so different harmony, melody rhythm something like that. i think of that approach like a mosaic.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Fallen189

A sample is a small thing which is supposed to be representative as a product of a whiole

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Shivoa

@KatyGaGa: Samples aren't stolen, they are copyright infringement under fair use grounds (if the owner of the original from where the sample was taken is not informed) or licensed use (if the owner is contacted and an agreement made for the reuse). This is a bit questionable (and the question can be asked in each different country under their local laws, you may find fair use or similar doesn't even exist in some places) because the fair use claim comes from making a new work from the sampling which is transformative (adds much expression, not derivative) and so you have to convince a judge of this if ever taken to court. Views are divided about how far you have to walk from the samples and addition of your own material (which can be as short as you like, but is currently considered infringement in the US) to be transformative; be safe, get permission for your samples or be prepared to go to court over fair use. Girl Talk being an interesting case where there is only expression by sampling, all audio is sampled but layered deep and creating very different cohesive work compared to the originals. Maybe the lack of legal action is a PR move to avoid bad press, maybe the studios are deadly afraid of losing and ending up with a lot more unlicensed sampling depended as fair use (IMHO Girl Talk should be considered transformative to the extent to justify the fair use).

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Harkat

People have pretty much spelled it out already in this thread. However, I should add that it only counts as a sample if you rip audio from somewhere. If you re-synthesize or re-record something, it's no longer a sample.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight said:

If you're into long-winded explanations, the Wikipedia page is a decent read, too :)

*reads Wikipedia for two hours*

Wait, isn't that something you're supposed to do with TVTropes instead? Or is it 2006 again?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SomeJerk

One great example of sampling is an introductory bar from KC and The Sunshine Band's That's The Way (I like it) being used in Face Down Ass up by 2LiveCrew, as seen here on a 1990 episode of the Phil Donahue show.

The looks on peoples faces..