What are the best TV miniseries in the world?

• 78 results
VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

CTRL+F "Dekalog" 0 results

Yeah so this is me being disappointed. Good thing Berlin Alexanderplatz was here! Anyhow, Kieslowski's ten-part Dekalog is basically a ten-film series with each film depicting a modern day version of one of the ten commandments. It's basically the coup-de-grace for Kieslowski's career and when you've got stuff like the Three Colors -trilogy and Double Life of Veronique under your belt, that's saying something. It's very heartfelt and real like his best work. Gripping, I guess is another word you could use.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Ezekiel

@vierastalo said:

CTRL+F "Dekalog" 0 results

Yeah so this is me being disappointed. Good thing Berlin Alexanderplatz was here! Anyhow, Kieslowski's ten-part Dekalog is basically a ten-film series with each film depicting a modern day version of one of the ten commandments. It's basically the coup-de-grace for Kieslowski's career and when you've got stuff like the Three Colors -trilogy and Double Life of Veronique under your belt, that's saying something. It's very heartfelt and real like his best work. Gripping, I guess is another word you could use.

Dekalog is why I made this thread. I finished it last week. Loved it and wanted more shows like it.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By imsh_pl

I still think Peep Show is the best comedy show (or comedy anything, really) ever. I think you'll find all episodes on YouTube.

EDIT: Not exactly a miniseries but still awesome.

Loading Video...

The original UK version of Office is also better than the US one, if you're into that.

Loading Video...

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By WynnDuffy

Band of Brothers is miniseries perfection!

I remember being excited for The Pacific but it didn't have any of the charm that Band of Brothers did. The characters were not interesting or very likeable.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I went through a mini-series phase this last year as well. In no particular order, here are some mini-series I enjoyed watching :

Pillars of the earth, The Night Of, The Night Manager, 11.22.63, Wolf Creek, Wolf Hall, Generation Kill, John Adams, Bleak House, Generation War, This is England '86, This Is England '90, The Game, From The Earth To The Moon, The Lion The Witch & The Wardrobe, Southcliffe, TInker Tailor Soldier Spy, Run, The Pacific, Broken Trail, Angels in America, The Odyssey, GUllivers Travels, Band of Brothers, And Then There Were None, Deutschland 83.

Esten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I recommend Band of Brothers, John Adams, War and Peace, The Night Manager, Generation Kill, Horace and Pete, The Jinx and The Night Of.

mrblarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the Earth to the Moon is a docudrama miniseries that is fantastic

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Band of Brohters

/thread

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

It just occurred to me that I love The Wire but never watched The Corner, the miniseries that David Simon and co. put out before they made The Wire. I should probably fix that at some point.

ignatz27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of my faves:

Out 1 (Jacques Rivette) -- Not too long ago, cinephiles wondered if they'd ever get a chance to see the full, 13-and-a-half hour version of what was reported to be one of the best films by one of the most interesting directors of the French New Wave. Now it's on Netflix! (Listed as "Season 1." Don't hold your breath for a second season.) It's divided into eight episodes and the first may be the most challenging.

The Sandbaggers -- One of the best espionage dramas I've seen, and all available on YouTube.

Perfect Lives (Robert Ashley) -- Ashley called this a "television opera" and tried for years to get one of the networks to air it. It's really unclassifiable, but I think it's the greatest long-form American poem since the first edition of Leaves of Grass. Ashley himself said, "They're not poems, they're songs. Like The Iliad." First four (of seven) available on YouTube, and the whole thing is up on UbuWeb (along with Ashley's great Music With Roots in the Aether, featuring interviews with and performances by some of the other leading composers of his generation, including Pauline Oliveros, Alvin Lucier, Terry Riley, and Phillip Glass.)

I'd also second or third the mentions of The Prisoner, Twin Peaks, Berlin Alexanderplatz, and The Kingdom. For Bergman-heads, the long version of Fanny & Alexander should count. And I love Jean-Luc Godard's video work (especially France/Tour/Detour/Deux/Enfants and Histoire(s) du Cinema.)

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Alucitary

Nobody has mentioned Over the Garden Wall yet?

Loading Video...

Great characters, songs, story, and it's perfect for this time of year. Watch it ASAP

lovcol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By lovcol
stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@ezekiel: It was too much. I enjoyed the first season so much more. Billy Bob Thorton was so good.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By kcin

@forkboy said:

The best mini-series from the US is Band of Brothers, though Generation Kill is really really good as well.

Oh, and for a couple of classics, two of the best British TV shows ever made, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the pacing is very slow & deliberate, it's unlike anything made to do in that context, starring Alec Guinness. An old spy has to uncover a mole in MI5. It's absolutely perfectly told. And there's Edge of Darkness, which was made into a Mel Gibson movie for some reason I don't understand, but it was made in 1985, hard to describe the show, but a police detective's environmentalist daughter is murdered and he investigates, and it all leads into a very 1980s end-of-the-Cold-War style paranoid thriller. I really cannot recommend it highly enough.

From this post you can probably tell that tense thrillers set during the Cold War are definitely a thing for me.

A slightly different setting is State of Play, set in early 2000s London, a teenager & the researcher of an MP are murdered in two apparently unrelated incidents, the MP happens to be a friend of a journalist who is doing a report on the murder, it goes from there. It's really cynical about politics and is again, another tense thriller. Spy thrillers & political thrillers are my bag, but there's just not enough of them these days.

Slightly lighter that those is Dead Set. It's a zombie apocalypse show, with the catch being that it happens during the filming of the latest series of Big Brother. Written by the guy who created Black Mirror, it's darkly funny from what I remember, & was a quite good take on the zombie thing, as well as the weirdness that was the popularity of Big Brother. It's on Channel 4's streaming service for free if you can spoof your IP to pretend you are in Britain.

These are the best recommendations that I can verify.

For other pretty good stuff:

I liked Murderland, a British 3-part crime drama, as well as the first standalone series of the British miniseries on which (the utterly atrocious) The Night Of is based on, called Criminal Justice. Both of these are, relative to the above recommendations, fairly forgettable, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

Someone else mentioned The Corner, the precursor to The Wire. It's worth noting that, while interesting, The Corner feels like a proof of concept. It features 'interviews' with the characters that feel very stagey, and overall it just feels pretty 90's. There's no comparison at all between The Wire and The Corner, frankly, but it's neat seeing so many familiar actors from The Wire in roles that are often the inverse of the roles they played on The Wire.

The Lost Room was also mentioned. It's fun and has a lot of heart, but as it's a sort of real-world-meets-fantasy thing, it requires that you accept some dumb stuff to allow it to work. Worth watching, and it works if you let it.

I've been meaning to get around to The Shadow Line, another British conspiracy thriller miniseries from 2011. Maybe check that out!

Also, you know, there's a surprising amount of good anime miniseries...

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alucitary: I second Over the Garden Wall, one of my favourite series of all time.

For short comedy series my favourite is Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. The first episode is something I can return to anytime and find hilarious.

It also has a great Matt Berry song.

Loading Video...

Thiddith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Thiddith
Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True detective season one and The night of were both great. Westworld is airing right now and is also really great. Pretty sure these are all considered miniseries.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Band of Brothers is miniseries perfection!

I remember being excited for The Pacific but it didn't have any of the charm that Band of Brothers did. The characters were not interesting or very likeable.

I liked The Pacific, though not as much as Band of Brothers. Just want to note that the best part of The Pacific is probably Rami Malek. Turns out he's pretty good at playing haunted, disassociated oddballs.

If I were to be overly simplistic it seems the war in Asia had less of a "rah-rah beat Hitler stop the Nazis, we're all heroes but we're not gonna admit it because really we were just doing our job!" sort of vibe and more a "oh god oh god this is horrific and it seems like this killing is never going to end we're trapped in an endless nightmare" sort of vibe and they lean into that.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Mother fucking Banshee.

If you like how action movies used to be in the 90s, Banshee is the show for you. It is fucking awesome!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Shindig

@ezekiel said:

Do I need to understand UK politics/government to enjoy House of Cards?

I watched the first three episodes of Scenes from a Marriage and it's been pretty great so far.

Edit: Ugh, Netflix's version of House of Cards is cropped. Why the hell do they do this? I don't know if I wanna even watch it now.

Not really. You pick up the gist pretty quickly. You understand when people get fucked over in this without needing political nuance. I assume they have the whole trilogy (House of Cards, To Play the King, The Final Cut?)

Its a pantomimey at times but I'd stand by Ian Richardson's FU over Kevin Spacey's version.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ezekiel

@shindig said:
@ezekiel said:

Do I need to understand UK politics/government to enjoy House of Cards?

I watched the first three episodes of Scenes from a Marriage and it's been pretty great so far.

Edit: Ugh, Netflix's version of House of Cards is cropped. Why the hell do they do this? I don't know if I wanna even watch it now.

Not really. You pick up the gist pretty quickly. You understand when people get fucked over in this without needing political nuance. I assume they have the whole trilogy (House of Cards, To Play the King, The Final Cut?)

Its a pantomimey at times but I'd stand by Ian Richardson's FU over Kevin Spacey's version.

The remake became pretty dull for me in the second season, partly because the characters were all unlikable assholes, with the only goodhearted one, Peter Russo, being crushed for his weakness. Kevin Spacey was despicable, without the charisma of someone like Tony Soprano or Walter White. I gave up.

Yes, Netflix has them all. But they cropped the 4:3 aspect ratio into 16:9. The Blu-ray retains the original aspect ratio. I find it gross that Netflix denies cropping movies and TV shows.

I sent a note to Peter (the author of this piece) as well, but just to everyone knows we don't crop movies or TV shows at Netflix. We want to offer the best picture and provide the original aspect ratio of any title on Netflix. However, unfortunately our quality controls sometimes fail and we end up offering the wrong version of a title. When we discover this error, we replace that title as soon as possible. — Joris Evers, Netflix PR

http://gizmodo.com/you-wont-believe-how-much-netflix-crops-your-movies-816686310

http://flavorwire.com/409632/the-netflix-cropping-mystery-solved-maybe

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Shogun is an amazing mini series for the time, and holds up fairly well.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firefly and Fargo spring to mind for me.

tradee9691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 1 of True Detective. Season 2 never happened in my eyes so I say 8 episodes constitutes a mini-series.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ripelivejam

i don't know why i've sat on from the earth to the moon for so long, seeing as i'm fascinated by everything space/space race/nasa related. too bad it doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#77 sweep  Moderator

@forkboy said:

Slightly lighter that those is Dead Set. It's a zombie apocalypse show, with the catch being that it happens during the filming of the latest series of Big Brother. Written by the guy who created Black Mirror, it's darkly funny from what I remember, & was a quite good take on the zombie thing, as well as the weirdness that was the popularity of Big Brother. It's on Channel 4's streaming service for free if you can spoof your IP to pretend you are in Britain.

Glad this has already been mentioned. Was pleasantly surprised by this show.

This Is England '86 is a follow-up of the film This Is England, which is pretty great in a gloomy Northern kind of way.

I started watching The Night Manager and I've been meaning to go back and finish it, about a Hotel manager in Cairo who gets roped into infiltrating an arms dealership - It's got a great cast (Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, etc). I've also been bugged by friends to start watching Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell, though I've heard the ending isn't particularly satisfying?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with The Night Manager is that I read the book first. John Le Carre really knows how to write "Fuck." moments and they struggle to translate into screen. Laurie's great in it. Hiddleston less so. Pine in the book feels like a cunt that could pull this off. Hiddleston is just a fop.

Speaking of scenes that rendered me shaken to my core, This is England '86 has something that stopped me sleeping one night. And I contacted Shane Meadows to be all, "That was a bit much, mate."

@ezekiel: That's arguably the best quality Ian Richardson brings to the role. You'd vote for FU. His knowing nods, winks and monologues are pretty playful and he plays the part like someone who thinks all of this is in the national interest.