What came after Nu Metal?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm kinda confused on this and have a hard time finding a answer looking through the era's of music. I can see the music timeline era's and cycles from the 50's through the 90's but somewhere in the mid 2000's nu metal died and I was wondering what came next? was it auto tune rap? and then hipster music? or did music just lose all it's musical era's and everyone just went YouTube and I Tunes and listen to old stuff?

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By bemusedchunk

Nu-er Metal

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

I normally associate the 2007-ish timeframe with like... southern hip-hop and auto-tune rap. Around the time Soulja Boy's Crank That blew up and also like, 808s and Heartbreak coming out the following year.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

emo?

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Trilogy

Butt rock.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Nu Metal

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nothing. Thanks to the internet music has become very diluted so there's not really one central movement but a shit ton of smaller one's. When I try to think of one that was different after nu-metal I think dubstep but it's no where near being part of a musical and cultural movement like psychedelic 60's rock, punk, disco, grunge etc.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@jec03:There's this idea that bands like The White Stripes & The Strokes got rid of the distortion of nu-metal and brought back rock songs that had clear, upbeat melodies and guitar solo's. No bullshit effects or theatrics, just a band and their instruments playing 'clean' 3 min rock songs. They are seen as the blueprint for (indierock?) bands like The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Loading Video...

Rolling Stone famously called the Strokes the saviors of Rock & Roll, and that's something you will still encounter in reviews whenever The Strokes release new music.

Here's an article i found

Looking back on the debut of the strokes

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After nu-metal, I feel like there was a decent phase of emo music and hardcore music being quite popular. With some small exceptions, I did not much care for that period.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Metalcore, in the vein of August Burns Red or Killswitch Engage or Devil Wears Prada? I dunno, that stuff was all right but there are plenty of people who hate it.

It's also a lot easier to find new and different music these days. If you don't like what's popular, it's really easy to find someone else doing something completely different

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A period of radio rock so generic that I'm still not convinced that half of the bands playing weren't the same five people under different names. I stood by radio for a long time, but man... the aughts were rough. Hell, it's still rough. Say what you (deservedly) will about nu-metal, but at least there was some personality to it.

Of course, I'm purely talking about radio rock here. There's never a shortage of excellent music to be had overall.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that, given the way the music industry began to lose ground to sharing services like Kazaa and burned CDs and, indirectly, began to lose control of how people were being drip-fed popular music, nu-metal was the last truly big single alternative genre. From there, several sub-genres began to develop their own popular scenes, which were themselves larger than the underground scenes of a decade or two before.

Most notably among them (in my experience, having worked at Hot Topic for three years during this period) was the pop-hardcore/pop-punk/so-called 'emo' in the mid-2000s, all of which kind of fed into each other. Hatebreed, Killswitch Engage, Devil Wears Prada, The Used, Taking Back Sunday, The Juliana Theory, New Found Glory, Glassjaw, Brand New, Thursday, etc. Loud, angry, emotional young dudes appealed to everyone in this age range, and there was tons of crossover appeal between previously disparate genres like metalcore and melodic pop-punk. It wasn't so much about genres as it was about the scene, and the scene was all about emotional intensity (which largely manifested as calling your ex a manipulative bitch over the course of an entire album).

That's my observation, anyway. Hope this helps!

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Post grunge

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It never died. The same people who were really into Nu-metal are still into it. There are still 35 year old men who wear giant shorts, have unkempt greasy hair, and bad tattoos of skulls they got in some dudes kitchen on the third day of a bad meth and plastic jug vodka bender. Just the other week I was at a bowling alley and low and behold the local Nu-metal act was putting on a show. Sure they were older now but they never put down banner. They were still scream rapping about being psychos and how no one really understands them. They picked the hill they were gonna die on, and that hill was Nu-metal. Nu-metal is alive and well if you know where to look, usually where you have look is in the poorer parts of the midwest and rust belt. The same places that love the Insane Clown Posse and prescription opiates.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Post-metal.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Zevvion
@jec03 said:

I'm kinda confused on this and have a hard time finding a answer looking through the era's of music. I can see the music timeline era's and cycles from the 50's through the 90's but somewhere in the mid 2000's nu metal died and I was wondering what came next? was it auto tune rap? and then hipster music? or did music just lose all it's musical era's and everyone just went YouTube and I Tunes and listen to old stuff?

It what now?

Oh, it died, of course it did. That's why there are still nu-metal concerts everywhere and new nu-metal bands. I suppose it died in the same way that PC gaming is now dead.

@andythemez Did you just associate Linkin Park with goth? I can see where this thread is going...

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Stealthmaster86

@onemanarmyy said:

@jec03:There's this idea that bands like The White Stripes & The Strokes got rid of the distortion of nu-metal and brought back rock songs that had clear, upbeat melodies and guitar solo's. No bullshit effects or theatrics, just a band and their instruments playing 'clean' 3 min rock songs. They are seen as the blueprint for (indierock?) bands like The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Loading Video...

Rolling Stone famously called the Strokes the saviors of Rock & Roll, and that's something you will still encounter in reviews whenever The Strokes release new music.

I heard that song recently and forgot how great that song is. Modest Mouse comes in mind, mainly because they are my most favorite band. I do love me some Korn though.

If you're into that genre of music I recommend Land of Talk and Wolf Parade.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

I think it was around 2004 where I stopped focusing on genres. In most of the 90s I was All Country all the time, then by the late 90s early 00s I was getting into Rock, mostly through bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot (take a guess which one I don't listen to anymore), but while I was listen to those bands, it started to blend where I didn't care about genres. I could be listening to Korn's Life is Peachy album one minute and then Matchbox 20's Mad Season right after that. If I liked it, I liked it no matter the genre.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know what came after Nu Metal. I stopped caring, and if there was something after it, I wouldn't know. I just like what I like regardless of genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Thanks that does help a bit

@shagge said:

A period of radio rock so generic that I'm still not convinced that half of the bands playing weren't the same five people under different names. I stood by radio for a long time, but man... the aughts were rough. Hell, it's still rough. Say what you (deservedly) will about nu-metal, but at least there was some personality to it.

Of course, I'm purely talking about radio rock here. There's never a shortage of excellent music to be had overall.

Yeah, I feel the same way I'm not really a fan of Nu Metal I only really liked Korns first two albums but that's mostly it than that genre got over oversaturated all the new rock does sound the same to me too these days.

@zevvion said:
@jec03 said:

It what now?

Oh, it died, of course it did. That's why there are still nu-metal concerts everywhere and new nu-metal bands. I suppose it died in the same way that PC gaming is now dead.

@andythemez Did you just associate Linkin Park with goth? I can see where this thread is going...

I really don't know so if you like Nu Metal I hope I didn't offend you and PC gaming is awesome :)

@ajayraz said:

I normally associate the 2007-ish timeframe with like... southern hip-hop and auto-tune rap. Around the time Soulja Boy's Crank That blew up and also like, 808s and Heartbreak coming out the following year.

Yea I kinda of remember this thanks for the info though.

@kcin said:

I think that, given the way the music industry began to lose ground to sharing services like Kazaa and burned CDs and, indirectly, began to lose control of how people were being drip-fed popular music, nu-metal was the last truly big single alternative genre. From there, several sub-genres began to develop their own popular scenes, which were themselves larger than the underground scenes of a decade or two before.

Most notably among them (in my experience, having worked at Hot Topic for three years during this period) was the pop-hardcore/pop-punk/so-called 'emo' in the mid-2000s, all of which kind of fed into each other. Hatebreed, Killswitch Engage, Devil Wears Prada, The Used, Taking Back Sunday, The Juliana Theory, New Found Glory, Glassjaw, Brand New, Thursday, etc. Loud, angry, emotional young dudes appealed to everyone in this age range, and there was tons of crossover appeal between previously disparate genres like metalcore and melodic pop-punk. It wasn't so much about genres as it was about the scene, and the scene was all about emotional intensity (which largely manifested as calling your ex a manipulative bitch over the course of an entire album).

That's my observation, anyway. Hope this helps!

It does thanks!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shindig

I wasn't huge on it. I think part of the problem was that, even for the time, you reached saturation point very quickly. The only ones that still get rotation from me are Deftones who arguably are different enough to have survived that. Around that time I was starting out listening to British Sea Power and going through my 'Indie Twat' phase. There's no easy way to phrase that. I was this close to buying a military jacket for gigs and using 'immense' to describe everything. Youth, eh?

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a huge fan of certain bands which could be described as Nu Metal, i might say that it's still going?
Specifically i'm talking about Sevendust, who released an album in 2015, Korn - 2016, Skindred - 2015 and Limp Bizkit, who are still touring and technically making an album but it sure is taking a while, they put out "Endless Slaughter" a couple years ago which is a mess and i love it, it feels like they really let go and just did whatever the hell they wanted, Rammstein are kind of in the same boat, i consider them to be Nu Metal-ish, while they chill out a bit the lead singer released an album as "Lindemann" (very explicit), which i recommend if you like the song Pussy. As far as modern bands go i'm only aware of Twelve Foot Ninja, who tend to mix modern Metal with other styles of music into something people describe as Fusion, but for being creative i'd also stick them in with the Nu Metal crowd.
Tool started a tour last year and are somewhere in the process of making an album... i think, and while they certainly don't fit the same Nu Metal banner as those other bands they are "Alternate" or "Progressive", which is where i think bands influenced by Nu Metal might have gone instead, a quieter more thoughtful sound which fits into the modern Prog Rock/Metal genre.
I like very specific Rock/Metal which tries to be a little different, sometimes challenging to listen to, creative and well made, i've been loving everything coming from Dorje and Toska (man i love this song, i learned it on guitar), fans of them also seem to like Karnivool but they're too plodding and repetitive for me.
Desperate for new music to listen to i discovered Jinjer, who manage to push past the Heavy Metal traps that genre has been stuck in for decades, into something more creative and somehow more brutal, i only like very specific screaming singers and she appeals by being so incredibly violent, and there's so much going on with the guitar and drums it fits with my need to hear something well made and creative.

Loading Video...

These are just my thoughts about where i am as a Nu Metal fan :P, we probably all span off in different directions.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fnrslvr

Culturally I want to say emo/metalcore. I'm not sure that it makes sense stylistically, but I think that's where the kind of crowd and marketing money that made nu-metal big ended up going.

The problem with nu-metal was that marketing departments tried to position it as the successor to the extreme metal of the '80s, despite a lack of shared DNA and the existence of a clear lineage from thrash metal through to the death metal and black metal movements forming in the early '90s. That always drew the ire of those movements, and it forced a lot of unflattering comparisons of technical pedigree, because the extreme metal scene can get really elitist about instrumentally difficult guitarwork and percussion -- which was fine when nu-metal had popular appeal and the money was flowing and they could ignore those elitists whilst sharing stages with Slayer and Iron Maiden and the like, but I think it caught up to them. I don't think it was necessarily a fair way for nu-metal to go out -- nu-metal had different goals, it didn't share the values of extreme metal at all -- but it really got positioned to take a lot of shit for not being extreme metal.

---

It's kinda like an anecdote I once read, that might've been from Paul Fussell's Class, about how upper-class people (henceforth toffs) would seek to distinguish themselves from lower-class people (proles) by the choices of flowers in their gardens. The proles would clue in on the new flora trend and start growing the new flower too, so the toffs would move on to a new flower to continue to set themselves apart from the proles, and so on. The toffs wanted to signal their higher status, and the proles wanted to fake said signal.

For a long time, I remember Slipknot took a lot of shit for never adding guitar solos to their music. Extreme metal fans knew they liked complex music, but far from all of them knew their music theory, so not knowing what "complex music" was or how to describe it, it was easy to point out this dude blazing across the high end of the fretboard with a sick solo, because that seems hard and nu-metal bands sure as hell weren't doing it. Slipknot went through two albums (three if you count MFKR?) without any solos, and then did a few in Vol. 3, which sounded to me like an album that was trying to build something resembling an extreme metal pedigree. But at the time you had big deathgrind bands like Cryptopsy, Nile, Behemoth, bands that were pushing blastbeats at >250bpm frequencies and indulging in 2+ minute solos. I'm a big fan of this stuff, but I'll admit: extreme metal as a scene was getting up its own arse with fetishizing instrumental chops. For a band that was seeing a lot of shouting from across the aisle about not being "true heavy metal", Slipknot's later albums seemed to be chasing a critique that they'd've been better off ignoring, because it was never going to stack up.

Metalcore arose somewhere in the mid-00s as nu-metal was declining, and they too were marketed as the second coming of the likes of Metallica and Anthrax. But these guys had prominent lead guitarists who played solos, got into wanky guitar duels between songs just like a real metal band, etc. They'd learned the signal! But extreme metal fans still didn't consider these guys "true heavy metal", so they started picking apart the compositional intricacies ofdeclared that all metalcore songs are basically the same song.

---

One of the problems with both of these genres is that, when they got big, both drew in these long tails of me-too bands who played music that sounded more-or-less exactly like those parody videos I linked. I recall a radio interview Korn's Jon Davis did during the decline of nu-metal, where he expressed relief at the death of that long tail, in more-or-less these words. It seems like a pattern that could easily repeat itself for decades to come: someone starts doing something that sounds vaguely like metal, big record companies market it as the second coming of Pantera, a bunch of me-too bands glom onto the trend by cloning the basic elements of the original band whilst claiming to be the truest heavy metal ever, and then extreme metal fans get pissed off that this new scene with lots of money behind it is co-opting their thing and tear it down on their own very technical grounds.

I don't know. I remember being a 15-year-old Korn fan, and then being an 18-year-old Suffocation fan who disavowed Korn completely, and the stuff that happened in between being this big shitfight between elitists and wannabe-elitists over whether Korn was shallow trash. I listened to some Korn recently, and I can kinda get into it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't aware Nu-metal was even an era. "Indie" music - ironically named because a whole lot of it is anything but independent - has been quite big for some time. Lots of post-rock and synth-pop. Most recently, old analog synths are very much en vogue. All the old synth makers - Moog, Korg, Dave Smith, Roland, Arturia (not old, but very retro) and a load of other manufacturers big and small - are putting out new, analog and analog imitating gear. It's a synth player's dream out there right now.

These are freaking cool:

Loading Video...

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nu metal is still here. All around us. Or at least the radio sure as shit doesn't want to move on from it. The thing is that nu metal doesn't just mean butt rock. There are very good bands such as system of a down which are labeled nu metal and there are very lame bands like breaking Benjamin who are also nu metal. The term "nu metal" is just a really doche way of saying post metal. The genere takes elements from older metal (usually heavy guitar riffs) and combines them with newer or less common elements (in the case of system of a down they took their home countries folk tunes and meloldies and applied them to the metal genre). The term is to wide spread and will probably be with us forever.

There is definitely new music that came after nu metal. That's just all that gets played on the radio sadly. I remember just as the nu metal fad began emo/scremo was right behind it. However that fad seemed to die real fast and nu metal was just chilling the whole time, waiting.

Something slightly new that most people don't know about is Djent. Djent is hard to desribe. If you are familiar with the doom soundtrack, those tracks are Djent as fuck. An actual band that plays Djent would be Meshugga.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By csl316

Pop Punk? Sum 41 one and the like, that damn band that ghosted on Jeff this holiday.

Avatar image for achillesforever
achillesforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a shame Nu Metal was a direct result of Mike Patton Era Faith No More and Mr. Bungle.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Pop-punk was popular around the same time as Nu-metal with Sum 41, Blink 183, MxPx, Green Day etc.

As stated above the era of the internet means that there really isn't a singular movement anymore. There are tons of bands in just about every genre so you can find something and listen to it.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm not sure if there is a direct lineage from nu metal to a new (or "nu"?....Sorry...) kind of metal. Metal kind of feels like a weird constant to me. Things like progressive metal have been around for ages, but some new bands came onto the scene while the old crews were still doing their thing. There are a number of different kinds of death metal bands.

Some styles come in and out of style or prevalence, but that doesn't mean that music is literally no more. For example, to me and I assume most people, trash metal conjures up music of the 80s, but that doesn't mean there aren't any new thrash metal bands out there today. I think some of the djent stuff is relatively new, but a lot of metal is a combination of a bunch of different stuff (Opeth's entire catalogue is just one example of metal subgenres combined with even more subgenres).

In terms of what happened to nu metal, I would probably point to bands like HELLYEAH as the successor of that type of music. Some bands that were still in that scene like Drowning Pool are still releasing albums. I don't listen to really any of these types of bands because I'm not really a fan, but I think that's where it went. In addition, maybe I'm in a bubble on this, but I think some of that music isn't as big as it was a decade or so ago. If you look hard enough, you'll find some nu metal bands, but that doesn't mean you're going to find a System Of A Down type group that had more appeal.

Avatar image for deactivated-58a8a61786966
deactivated-58a8a61786966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares?, Nu-Metal is alive & kicking as a underground style yet still has the most annoying haters of any genre.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rise of nu-metal era came about during the early 90's with bands like Korn and Deftones, what it transformed into was a progressive genre, and even these same bands were later exposed to it and also converted their fans tastes for it. Nu-metal kinda died in the late 90's with other genres like cheesy hip/hop music and Tupac... Metal has since been very progressive, cleaner production values, more main-stream interests. Modern metal sounds, bands like Animals as Leaders, Meshuggha, shit like that ... totally took over, for the better, heavier, more agressive, less whiny.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@zevvion said:
@jec03 said:

It what now?

I could probably find newer 3rd wave ska bands--4th wave?--if I tried, but that doesn't mean the genre isn't dead. I haven't heard a new "nu-metal" song on the radio from a new band in quite a long time. Certainly nothing of note past Chevelle.

Full agreement on Linkin Park, though. That's pretty far from goth. The freaking Cure is closer to goth than Linkin Park is, and even that association never felt especially right to me.

At least the Deftones still can put out a great album every few years or so.

As for the actual question, I'd say really whiny punk rock of the 2000s is what came after nu-metal. My Chemical Romance, Yellowcard, Fall Out Boy, etc. Sorry to those who grew up with and loved those bands, but my time for that sort of thing left with the 90s, so that was my cue to discover all the great off-radio indie and lesser-known alternative rock that I missed up until the late 90s and early 2000s.

Belle and Sebastian, Aimee Mann, Tori Amos, The Decemberists, Kings of Convenience, early Liz Phair, Phoenix, Spoon, Laura Veirs, and so on.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rise of nu-metal era came about during the early 90's with bands like Korn and Deftones, what it transformed into was a progressive genre, and even these same bands were later exposed to it and also converted their fans tastes for it. Nu-metal kinda died in the late 90's with other genres like cheesy hip/hop music and Tupac... Metal has since been very progressive, cleaner production values, more main-stream interests. Modern metal sounds, bands like Animals as Leaders, Meshuggha, shit like that ... totally took over, for the better, heavier, more agressive, less whiny.

Please don't associate nu-metal with progressive metal.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

I don't necessarily agree with that especially since engineers compete against each other and even themselves for a production that sounds more or less similar.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@spaceinsomniac: Not mainstream =/= dead. Not on the radio also =/= dead. When I look at what size venue holds nu-metal concerts regularly and the fact they sell out more often than not, I think it would be easy to conclude it is far from dead.

Calling an entire genre 'whiny' is also a bit much. I like Fall Out Boy. It doesn't sound whiny to me at all. Their concerts are always full of power and a great atmosphere. If anything sounds whiny to me, it's the insane overuse of auto-tune. Talk about songs that are on the radio, yet are total hot trash. Talking about nu-metal, Limp Bizkit actually did a fun bit with auto-tune and mocked it. But whatever, I suppose many people listen to that garbage for a reason. I must just be one of the few to whom it doesn't speak. But make no mistake that music is only as alive as the people who have passion for it, in which case it would be silly to say nu-metal is dead.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably MetalCore, Post Metal/Post Rock/Shoegaze, the bastardization of Black Metal, and Djent