What sort of legal wild game meat or farm grown game would you WANT to try?

• 70 results
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll What sort of legal wild game meat or farm grown game would you WANT to try? (169 votes)

None! I don't eat animals. 10%
ALLIGATOR 34%
PYTHON 25%
RATTLESNAKE 28%
BISON 41%
ELK 36%
VENISON (Deer) 31%
HARE/RABBIT 25%
DUCK 31%
WILD TURKEY 26%
KANGAROO 28%
EMU 22%
OSTRICH 24%
PHEASANT 29%
QUAIL, SQUAB, GUINEA FOWL 26%
YAK 32%
WILD BOAR 46%

I will say I want to try Yak. That is one meat I have not tried that might be interesting - I like goat.

I have tried Alligator; RattleSnake (just a bit); Bison; Deer (Venison); Rabbit (sorry, they are cute); Duck; Ostrich; and Squab. I think I would feel bad eat a Kangaroo...they are bipedal...that somehow bothers me.

• 
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Yak is pretty fatty. Stick with beef.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Wow, this was an Elk Rib Rack I got for my dad and myself to eat was fantastic. It was super tender and tasted wonderful just roasted with a seasoned dry rub. One chop was a nice meal, two was a very hearty feast; I think it was a 4.4 lbs section. It was as tender as Prime Rib (beef) but had that 'venison' like tang.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've eaten all of these except Yak, Bison and the two snakes. I voted rattlesnake because that's pretty different.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PUT IT ALL IN ME!

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I think I’ve told this story before, but I knew an older kid in high school who raised ostriches and sold homemade jerky for $5 a pop between class. Made some good money off me because that was delicious, but I’m hindsight I’m betting most jerkied meats taste mostly the same.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm up to try any of this but I would instead answer what I would love to have more often which is Venison. It's very much a once a year thing for me now since most of my family hunts during season. It's great as is and great cut with other meats as well.

This years variant was a venison summer sausage that I finished too quickly and miss terribly.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys should try some horse. Had some in Iceland and it was quite tasty.

slaughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Alligator is definitely up there. I don't live near the Gulf Coast, but from what my friends from down there tell me, it'd be a meat I'd like.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ichthy said:

You guys should try some horse. Had some in Iceland and it was quite tasty.

I looked around for horse, but I could not find any in the US so far. I did see camel! But, it only came ground in 10 lbs packs, that was a bit pricey for 'just giving it try". Also, I think of horses as pets; it is a cultural thing, not a logical thing. I accept that pigs, cows, and other animals I do eat are just as friendly, smart and nice as a horses.

(Not to get too off track: However, I think as soon as laboratory grown meat is only $1 more than natural meat, A LOT more people will not eat meat from an animal. I think when people are given alternatives, we tend to do the thing where less 'harm' or 'suffering' MIGHT occur. I EAT meat...I know that right now when I eat meat some animal dies -it not painless or pretty - but I still eat it. So, I think for myself, I would switch to vat grown if it tasted good and was only a bit more expensive. JMO)

Until that happens, I'm looking around for a nice source of frog. I've had fried frog's legs in the past...they were good.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

We eat kangaroo fairly regularly - it is leaner than other meat and sometimes less expensive.

It is delicious. Can't really cook it past medium as it gets way too tough, but all of you with qualms about eating it, move on - there's a lot of em and they are tasty.

Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I've eaten a handful of these, and honestly I feel that some of them are cooler for presentation over actual taste. Quail for example is alright...but small. Kangaroo is incredibly lean but alright.

Damenco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite an interesting survey, but I think the first place is undeserved

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We eat kangaroo fairly regularly - it is leaner than other meat and sometimes less expensive.

It is delicious. Can't really cook it past medium as it gets way too tough, but all of you with qualms about eating it, move on - there's a lot of em and they are tasty.

I think perhaps "Sous Vide" might be the way to go. Captain_insano, do you marinade your kangaroo?

acharlie1377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it legal to consume human meat? Obviously obtaining it would probably be illegal, but is it actually illegal to eat it? If so, what law does that fall under? Is it a felony or a misdemeanor?

Asking for a friend.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Rabbit

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#67 sweep  Moderator

Bison or Yak, because I've eaten pretty much everything else on the list except snakes. Because fuck snakes.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By soulcake

All the meats as long as it's "grown" and slaughtered in a humane way.

Also fuck snakes not eating that shit.

As for weird meats in my country of origin, Horse is a thing people used too eat you can still order a horse steak at your local butcher, it's a relic from the Napoleontic wars where people/soldiers ate there horses out of necessity (starvation).

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acharlie1377: Apparently not, at least in the UK no-one has been charged with cannibalism itself (plenty have been charged with murder who ate the remains). There could also be tangential charges for outraging public decency or preventing a lawful burial or something but not cannibalism itself, so If your "friend" lives in the UK and has a willing & living donor... Fill their boots I guess :)

stabfreely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm old and I grew up hunting and fishing...I did not vote for anything . I have either had it or have no interest in trying it...I gave up hunting after my father passed away...I would rather eat Filet Mignon or fish or seafood.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By monkeyking1969

I have been on a beef steak kick lately. I got a sous vide for Christmas. The sous vide makes it nearly impossible to overcook or undercook meat. Knowing that my $40 cut of meat won't be ruined, because I screw up the cooking makes me more willing to buy nicer cuts.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Pheasant