What Weird Sport Does Your Country Enjoy?

ryanmc94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ryanmc94

So I'm currently an Australian studying at an Australian university and their is a tonne of international students living on campus. I really wanted to teach the American's some of the weird sports Australian's enjoy. In particular Australian Football which is really like no other sport. After taking them to a game I started wondering about national sports that other countries might not know of. So what else is out there? I recently discovered Gaelic Football which seems pretty cool. Is there more sports outside of the major international games that we might not know of?

Oh and for those wanting to know what Australian Football looks like this is it:

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Well, I'm Australian and came into talk about AFL but I see you've already done that!

Go the blues. :)

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was gonna say Australian football.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By audioBusting
Loading Video...

I don't know if "weird" is the right word.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, I'm Australian and came into talk about AFL but I see you've already done that!

Go the blues. :)

Ugh... It could've been Collingwood. That being said, Swans man. Those Swans.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By falserelic
ryanmc94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: well that wasn't exactly what I had in mind but I'll add it to the list hahaha

ryanmc94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanmc94: Man have we got a rough last two rounds. Geelong then Hawthorn. One win guarantees a top four finish though... Holding out for one over Geelong. Just got to hope Tippett keeps firing

ryanmc94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanmc94

@gloriousdinosaur: Yeah Tippett being out would be a real kick in the balls. I'll be at the Hawthorne game next Friday. Here's hoping our injuries clear up and we knock them around a bit.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Loading Video...

@ryanmc94: @falserelic: It's not really a national sports (badminton is much closer to being that), but it's a pretty well known game. I'm not sure where it came from.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm not sure I'd call Aussie rules (as it's colloquially known here) that weird, but maybe that's just cause they show it on tv here.

I don't know what you'd really refer to as weird, the 3 main sports in England are the 3 biggest sports in the world.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By gkhan

We Swedes used to be real into Bandy, but it's a sport that's been on the decline the last decade or so. We've lobbied to get it into the Winter Olympics, but we've been rejected so far, probably because every year it would come down to finals between Sweden and Russia, with the occasional other Nordic Country thrown in.

Edit: also handball.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I guess Darts & Cricket are the weirdest sports we enjoy here in the UK. In fact, I believe the former was brought up by one Bradley Shoemaker on the Bombcast a couple of weeks ago.

Loading Video...

ryanmc94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creamypies: You Brits and your darts! I'll never get it hahaha

@gkhan: Bandy seems pretty cool. How much does it differ from ice hockey?

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gkhan

@ryanmc94 said:

@gkhan: Bandy seems pretty cool. How much does it differ from ice hockey?

The field is MUCH larger than an ice-hockey rink, and because you use a ball instead of a puck, it's a lot faster. There's also much less of a focus on things like tackling, the players don't have nearly as much protection. There's also none of the intentional fighting thing that's in hockey (though Swedish hockey generally doesn't have that either).The goals are also much larger than than a hockey goal. There's plenty of videos on YouTube showing the sport, like this full game between Sweden and Russia. Jump around in the video a bit, and you'll get a sense of the game.

I should also add a variant of the sport called Floorball (in Sweden it's referred to as "indoor bandy") which is played on land (generally, but not necessarily, inside a building) is very popular with young people. As a kid, I played more floorball than any other sport besides soccer, me and my friends would set up two goals on a street and go at it for hours on end.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By leebmx

@ryanmc94 said:

The darts is more about the oppourtunity for the audience to get shit-faced and sing songs. Go back a few years and even the players were drinking and smoking up on stage. I used to have to go to a lot of darts for my job and it is basically just a huge pub. Some of the games up in Scotland used to get quite scary, espcially if they found out you were English.

In the Premier league they play four matches a night. For the first the crowd is boisterous but paying attention, by the second they are rowdy but still watching the game and for the last two they pretty much ignore the darts and are either fighting or singing random songs.

RicoismynamE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RicoismynamE
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

yea know whit shinty not weird it's just not a well known sport outside of alba, so here another sport that happens in scotland that i can think of that best describes weird sport. plus in the uk rounders is a game that is played a lot by everyone especially youngers, think this is how baseball got its origins from as its a very old game with basically the same fundamental rules. Used to play it as a child all the time, at the annual gala everyone from our village young and old would team up and beer kegs were used for bases, good times.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finland has a lot of weird sports, like Wife carrying championships...

Loading Video...

Swamp soccer...

Loading Video...

...and boot-throwing.

Loading Video...

We are kinda weird, I know.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InternetDotCom

As an American I find nothing weird about Aussie Rules Football.

Not an American sport but I find Pesapallo fascinating and really weird.

Here it is with you music you may know:

Loading Video...

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This GIF got some attention on reddit recently.

http://i.imgur.com/I8lZmRj.gif

Fierljeppen.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pezen

While some sports have been mentioned from Sweden in here. I would like to point out Speedway (or motorcycle speedway). Here's a wikipedia explanation; "Motorcycle speedway, usually referred to as speedway, is a motorcycle sport involving four and sometimes up to six riders competing over four anti-clockwise laps of an oval circuit. Speedway motorcycles use only one gear and have no brakes and racing takes place on a flat oval track usually consisting of dirt or loosely packed shale. Competitors use this surface to slide their machines sideways, powersliding orbroadsiding into the bends. On the straight sections of the track the motorcycles reach speeds of up 70 miles per hour (110 km/h)"

I've always found the sport odd and really boring to watch and from what I can find, not entirely sure how popular it is generally speaking. However, we're one of the few nations with an elite league and have, relative to country size, a lot of top competitors.

Loading Video...

It focuses on crashes, but it got plenty of meat-and-potato sections on the actual thing.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently an American and there's this thing called Dressage our rich people enjoy.

Pretty timely reference, right guys?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chiablo
EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EXTomar

This might be a quibble but is a dancing horse really a sport? That seems to be more like "an activity".

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I suppose technically Lacrosse is the national sport of Canada. I'd say we enjoy Canadian Football, Curling and Ringette more though. In some parts of the country there is a type of handball played called Zazpiak Bat.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fattony12000

Activity Sports.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scampbell

Off the top of my head I think tractor pulling is the most pointless "sport" in my country, though I´m not sure its popularity stretches much beyond a small minority, one obviously connected to farming.

Loading Video...

By the way the flags are not a sign of Nationalism as such, it is more of symbol for a general sense of celebration and joy (unless of course it is on half, meaning someone has died). At the same time it is an empty symbol, not in a negative sense, more in the that it means whatever you want it to mean. Also it is apparently the oldest still used national flag in the world, how about that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By monkeyking1969
No Caption Provided

Down around Nantucket way; we lower a basket into the water, we drag a great white into it, some brave idiots jumps into four feet of water to grab the tail as the basket gets lifted out of the water.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By Sergio

U.S. Football.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33 MattyFTM  Moderator

Cheese Rolling. Every year they throw a lump of cheese down a steep hill in Gloucestershire, and a bunch of idiots run after it. It's not the most popular sport ever, but it makes it onto BBC national news every year, without fail.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tescovee

@scampbell: when i was a kid, for some reason my dad used to get these NHRA, Outlaw and tractor pull race videos (VHS/BETA?) (mid 1980's) and they were out of Denmark (but with english announcers). I have literally not thought about them since I was 9 or 10. For whatever reason I fucking loved them...so weird to have those memories resurface. :) All I can remember is they would have these neat sleds attached to them that would incline a weight and they would be judged by distance? Shit was really mesmerising to a 7 year old boy :P

Edit: lol still crazy mesmerising! why in the fuck do I find it so interesting?

Edit2: Is there any skill involved with this or ist it straight up horsepower? Dat diesel powered smoke belching...

Edit3: go ford! USA! USA!

Edit4: So I don't know regionally but in the north east (usa) Lacrosse is wildly popular (mix hockey with soccer and jai lai). Shit didn't have tractors in it so I never gave two shits about it.... man that john deere truck needs to respecinize.

Edit5: my next vacation is to Denmark to watch this shit live.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By crusader8463

I don't know about all of Canada, but here in New Brunswick Rugby is huge in many of the schools. The school I went to in particular were one of those schools that seemed to win provincials every year or every other year. I remember the gym walls being covered in banners. No idea what they are like now as I have not been in almost ten years.

I know Rugby isn't so much weird, but it's a sport that I never hear of anywhere but I remember my school being crazy for it. Well the jocks anyway.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scampbell

@tescovee: I've grown up on a farm though my parents weren't actual farmers, mainly they enjoy the idea of being mostly self sufficient. They did own a field for the purpose of feeding the goats and sheep during winter. The work they did themselves in terms of tending to the field was transporting the hay back to our farm. To do this they borrowed and old red John Deere tractor one with no enclosure, in fact it barely had a seat.

As most of the work was done off the road I was occasionally allowed to drive it and almost toppled it once. Good times.

I honestly don't know much about tractor pulling but I think it mostly horsepower though a bit of technique probably doesn't hurt.

And here I thought our cultural influence had ended with with H.C. Anderson...

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Football, baseball, basketball, hockey... take your pick.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Baseball's pretty strange:

• The play field is not symmetrical.
  • The defense has possession of the ball.
  • The best players are those who fail at hitting 70% of the time.
  • There's no clock.
Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Hockey and Lacrosse aren't really that weird, I guess Curling maybe? It's essentially just shuffleboard on ice. Broomball I guess could also be counted though not sure if that's distinctly from Canada. It's pretty much hockey but with a ball instead of a puck(larger than a ball hockey ball, more like a dodgeball I think) and brooms instead of sticks, plus you are just wearing normal shoes on the ice. Only played it a couple times back in highschool and it was a clusterfuck each time.

@crusader8463: Rugby is pretty big over here in Victoria B.C.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The weirdest American sport has gotta be Nascar, right?

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baseball's pretty strange:

• The play field is not symmetrical.
  • The defense has possession of the ball.
  • The best players are those who fail at hitting 70% of the time.
  • There's no clock.

And the amount of enjoyment a spectator has is directly proportional to the amount of beer he has consumed.

Loading Video...

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the US by far it is competitive eating.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zella: I love curling. Playing in evening leagues, its half sport, half night at the pub.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Budwyzer
No Caption Provided

In the USA

Wrestling

No Caption Provided

and College Football