What will it take to get started in the game industry?

Obbeskrutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Obbeskrutt

I'm currently being stuck in a quite tricky situation.
Me, just like several thousand of gamers across the globe, is dreaming about a career in the game development business.
The problem is that I'm located in Sweden, and there's not that many development studios available that's hiring staff on a regular basis, so the competition is strong amongst the students.

You see, I'm studying game-design at university level, currently taking courses in concept art, QA, design, 3D tools and more.
I've played games with a passion since 1991, and I've always dreamed about someday being part of a development crew, but seeing all those talented students
around me really makes my heart sink to the bottom... Why would anyone look at me? What can I ever do in order to get recognition?

I guess this is just one of those days where I just can't gather enough motivation to see the bright future...
Well, I guess I should turn in those last QA assignments... Just like those twenty other students in my class will do this week, all of them with the same hopes and dreams as myself...

Obbeskrutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By Obbeskrutt

I'm currently being stuck in a quite tricky situation.
Me, just like several thousand of gamers across the globe, is dreaming about a career in the game development business.
The problem is that I'm located in Sweden, and there's not that many development studios available that's hiring staff on a regular basis, so the competition is strong amongst the students.

You see, I'm studying game-design at university level, currently taking courses in concept art, QA, design, 3D tools and more.
I've played games with a passion since 1991, and I've always dreamed about someday being part of a development crew, but seeing all those talented students
around me really makes my heart sink to the bottom... Why would anyone look at me? What can I ever do in order to get recognition?

I guess this is just one of those days where I just can't gather enough motivation to see the bright future...
Well, I guess I should turn in those last QA assignments... Just like those twenty other students in my class will do this week, all of them with the same hopes and dreams as myself...

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By dystonym

Get into a mod development team and release a high quality mod. I've heard stories of a fair few people on ModDB getting jobs through mods. If you can't find one in your local area. Get an idea written down, do some concept art and some models and then upload it all to moddb, and look for people in your local area.

I really only know about concept art, but you can do freelance art online which will get you payed and begin to build up your portfolio. This could also be a way in.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho

Remember that no matter what you're good at, going into a University will immediately showcase how much better other people are at it than you.  Unless you're a genius, this will always be the case. 

As for getting a job in game development...well, it's not as hard to get into as say game journalism.  Just keep going to school and get your degree, and focus on what you have to offer rather than what others do more-so than you.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Obbeskrutt: Like Murdouken said do some high quality mods. Also just keep sending off your work to every developer you can find, try and get an internship at a company, go on sites and apply for jobs  (I know Rockstar are always hiring people) . The Edge website and magazine also have a pretty good games jobs list. The main thing is to get your degree but also be making games, artwork, models on the side so you can build up a portfolio.  Good luck with getting the job man, its a dream job for many.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

After you graduate if you and your classmates haven't found a job in a compnay you can start a studio together. Make a couple of indie darlings and then get bought by EA to make Madden sequels.