Who else gets weirded-out when one of the guys says "Hell of" instead of "Hella"?

• 65 results
vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

Poll Who else gets weirded-out when one of the guys says "Hell of" instead of "Hella"? (252 votes)

YES, ABSOLUTELY. I HATE IT. 4%
I definitely notice it and definitely get weirded-out, but it's not a huge deal. 8%
It doesn't really bother me. Seems like a cool way of saying it. 10%
What? weirded-out? No way! Fully pronouncing it just makes it better! 37%
What are you EVEN TALKING ABOUT?! 41%

I always find it super off-putting whenever one of the guys says "Hell of" instead of "Hella"
I'm not sure exactly why, It's like they're attempting to use proper English, but yet it stills ends up not being proper. It's this weird middle-ground. It's not like it actually bothers me that much, as I'm sure they do it on purpose just to sound that way, but... it just seems to stick out to me.

• 
Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We weren't allowed to use hella in middle school so instead we said "hecka." I use hella a hell of a lot of the time now, though.

I thought "hell of" was some sort of weird "older" Californian Giant Bomb-ism that the guys were just using ironically. Shows what I know.

"Hell of" is still weird.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Damn, nor-cal teenager here...I feel ashamed. IT'S NOT MY FAULT I SAY HELLA! You can't live in nor-cal for your entire life and not start saying it. I agree it's fucking dumb, but it's ingrained into my brain permanently.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I like Zach Hill's drumming

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By Justin258

@scrawnto said:

@geirr said:

My wife pointed out Hella and Hell of tends to have different uses.

Something is "hella cool" or "hella good" and usually not "the cake was hell of a good", the cake was infact "hella good".

You wouldn't say "hell of a good", certainly. "Hell of good", maybe, but probably not. I do think that I hear "Hell of" more frequently when the guys are discussing the amount of something rather than the degree of something, e.g. "There are hell of explosions in that movie," v.s. "That movie is hella sick."

You could say that you had "a hell of a good time". Which still sounds pretty dumb, but nowhere near as dumb as "hell of *noun*".

@Oldirtybearon Hey man, I'm Canadian, I know what a toboggan is. According to that dirty Carolinian Shoemaker, they call toques toboggans.

When I Google'd "toque", I got this. Out of curiosity, I Google'd "tobaggan" and got this, which seems like a correct enough definition to me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ghost_cat

I grew to like and use the word "hella" now, because it's just as efficient as saying "y'all." And I will drop "y'all" bombs like a mother clucker.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I prefer it to "hella", that's for damn sure. I actually kind of like it, truth be told.

climbedbritain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moved to the Bay Area from Boston. We used to say hella/hecka/hell of out there too... back in the 90s.

I'm surprised Ska isn't super popular out here still, the way they throw hella around. Then the time-bubble would be complete.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being from Southern California, I find both particularly repugnant. LEARN TO SPEAK YOU HIPPIES!

That's really not a term I associate with the hippy crowd, unless it's something specific to Southern Californian hippies. About the only time I can recall hearing the term is possibly from the skater crowd back in high school.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HELLUV OR GTFO.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I hell of like when Jeff says hell of.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never type "hella," but because I grew up in the Bay Area it, of course, is a modifier that is forever stapled in my verbal vocabulary.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ripelivejam

hella has always annoyed me.

Being from Southern California, I find both particularly repugnant. LEARN TO SPEAK YOU HIPPIES!

this, oh yes this.

no doubt can suck it too.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#64  Edited By vigorousjammer
@chtasm said:

I thought "hell of" was some sort of weird "older" Californian Giant Bomb-ism that the guys were just using ironically. Shows what I know.

This.

I totally thought it originated on Giant Bomb. Now I'm ever more weirded out knowing that people outside of Giant Bomb say "Hell of"

@geirr said:

My wife pointed out Hella and Hell of tends to have different uses.

Something is "hella cool" or "hella good" and usually not "the cake was hell of a good", the cake was infact "hella good".

You wouldn't say "hell of a good", certainly. "Hell of good", maybe, but probably not. I do think that I hear "Hell of" more frequently when the guys are discussing the amount of something rather than the degree of something, e.g. "There are hell of explosions in that movie," v.s. "That movie is hella sick."

I'm not sure if it's just an east coast thing, but when discussing the amount of something, we'd generally just say "Tons of" or "A lot of" or "A buttfucking bunch of" or perhaps even "Hella" if we were toking it up or something.

But we'd never say "Hell of". Giant Bomb is literally the first place I've ever heard it.

Then again, Giant Bomb is also the first place I ever heard "duder," and only later learned that it originated elsewhere.

Of course, with "duder," I immediately thought it was cool, and it didn't weird me out in the same way "hell of" does.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@president_barackbar said:

That's really not a term I associate with the hippy crowd, unless it's something specific to Southern Californian hippies. About the only time I can recall hearing the term is possibly from the skater crowd back in high school.

It was a joke

Avatar image for angre_leperkan439
Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People say "hell of" instead of "hella"?