Who makes the best Eldritch abominations? East? West? Or Lovecraft?

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jay444111

What a Eldritch Abomination is, well, basically... it is Cthulu, it is Galactucus, it is Yog Sothoth... or even ones like Necromorphs or even monsters like Demons from even the bible as well. Who, in your opinion, makes the best types of these monsters?

IMO, I personally think that East is the clear winner here. Sure, Lovecraft invented many of them. But I will say that the sheer holy shit amounts of ultra beings in Japanese horror stories and anime, along with video games and manga is overwhelming and many of them are designed amazingly to look like something completely inhuman and insane. They do it like no other country or person IMO. I mean it. Just look at a damn SMT game and you will know instantly why I think this.

No Caption Provided

Or this...

No Caption Provided

Yeah... I am most likely going to be modded after this one... I apologize.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Are you basing this off Shin Megami Tensei? Because a lot of them are ripped from Western mythos.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jay444111

@Video_Game_King said:

Are you basing this off Shin Megami Tensei? Because a lot of them are ripped from Western mythos.

True. But I am mainly basing my preferance of East on how they themselves design a lot of their work. I mean... LOOK AT MARA DAMMIT!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

The actual biblical descriptions of angels can get pretty far into horrible cosmic monster territory, and Japan creates some crazy shit in their off-hours, but I think it's hard to top Lovecraft for sheer weirdness and scope. Azathoth alone pretty much seals the deal for him, and you add in even half the other crap he made? Dude was ahead of the curve in adding tentacles and freaky impossible anatomy and geometry to things.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten
@Jay444111 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

True. But I am mainly basing my preferance of East on how they themselves design a lot of their work. I mean... LOOK AT MARA DAMMIT!

Mara is a colloquialism for Penis I think.  
I might be wrong but I know I heard it somewhere. Might have been from a friend who's really into the SMT games. 
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jay444111

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

That was pretty much all Atlus. Kind of like how Jack Frost looks exactly like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also Final Fantasy loves this trope actually. In fact, FF13 could be a freaking post singularity apocalypse if you think about it.

Also... look at EXdeath!

No Caption Provided

That thing is freaking Eldritch... like... the damn description of it really.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jay444111:

Final Fantasy also draws a lot from mythos, although not as explicitly or as exhaustively as Shin Megami Tensei.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first picture just looked like a dude the second one was on the right track but I still think it's hard to top Lovecraft when the monster's image evolves from the deepest caverns of your mind. The concept of concealed horror, of avoiding to show to much works best when you don't show the monster at all. In writing you can show the monster and still keep that feeling of concealment, there's still a grey area as to what it actually looks like.

You can stick as many tentacles, phallic things, and teeth as you want but as soon I see the whole thing, as soon as I can count how many tentacles it has and quantify it's look then it just turns into a dead space necromorph. They're ugly but you can quickly get acclimated to the look, you can find comedy in their animation.

Cloverfield was an interesting experiment in the genre but even then I feel like they showed way to much of the monster for me to fear it and not think, oh it's a big cgi construct.

I voted Lovecraft.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

Lovecraftian monsters aren't defined by the fact that they are masses of tentacles and slime. What makes them unique is that they are beyond our scopes of good and evil, beings beyond our comprehension. We don't know what their motives are and we never will because we don't matter to them. Lovecraftian horror is really about man's need for self importance and the right to call ourselves special and then facing the reality that even on what we call our own planet we are nothing but insignificant ants both in size and comprehension. Some gods in religions could fit the bill, but the major problem is that we know what they wish to do and see humanity as something important to them which goes against the whole "beyond our comprehension".

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

you didn't even post the worst ones, like arioch

No Caption Provided

though I will say the brothers of The Void are pretty bad too

Tyrant ingame
Tyrant ingame