Why are more games not like this?

Ninjakid7396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Ninjakid7396

While surfing the web today I came across a "game" (if you can even call it that) it's called Spent. Basically it puts you in the position of a poverty stricken single parent and you have to survive a whole month with only 1000$ in your pocket. While it sounds easy it ends up being a difficult experience and surviving for 30 day sounds like a lifetime by the time your done with it.  
Anyway it got me thinking that with so many games trying to be realistic why are no games trying this? I for one think it would be a interesting mechanic in a game. 

Also if you want to try out "Spent" check it out here

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheHumanDove

$1000 in a month? Pfft I've lasted longer with less.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BlinkyTM

I feel my brain being washed :D

I made it to day 30 with $168 to spare. My car's all messed up and my kid is not eating but, you know, I have $168.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RobertOrri

Made it to day 20, accidentally clicked the dentist icon when expecting it to open up a prompt for me to examine it better. Nope, just said I had lost.

Played again and despite me trying to pick the same options, the game gave me all sorts of new random occurences that basically forcefully bankrupted me in 4 days.

I think this game needs a suicide button.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jmfinamore

Because not many people in the games industry are interested in conveying any sort of real struggle or emotion, much less make any thing that borders on commentary.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shirogane

It doesn't involve shooting people, so it won't sell. Therefore nobody will publish it.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dtat

That was sure depressing. I made it through the game though. The game gets its point across very well I think. The last bit about the labor union really hit home. It's not easy to see why poor people will say no to unioninzing for fear of losing their job.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Masha2932

I don't believe it would work as a big budget release but it would be an interesting mini game or diversion in a full fledged game. Nice game, I think I've played it before but I still enjoyed it the second time.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Despite being part of the rich monarchy all my life, I played that a while back, and I kicked poverty's ass.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mazik765

@TheHumanDove said:

Me too, but to be fair, I'm not a parent.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheHumanDove

@mazik765 said:

@TheHumanDove said:

Me too, but to be fair, I'm not a parent.

Me neither, I hate kids.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jking47

first time had $100 at the end of the month.

Funny thing is, I make about 2k a month and pay half of that in rent, so this was basically like playing a normal month for me lol

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By destruktive

Made it out with $426.

sir_lizardman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By sir_lizardman

Wow that was very one sided.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

what about phone story?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeF

the one thing I'd say is bad about this game would be that it seems unlikely that some new crap is happening EVERY single day

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Flaboere

There are games like this, and I think there will be more like it. Game Dev Story had a great success, and the premise sounds a lot like this game.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bwmcmaste

I really liked this, thanks for posting it. Also, I thought the whole American "health insurance" thing was pretty harsh; I live in Canada, and we get our medical services for "free."

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Still_I_Cry

That felt like someone was trying really hard to convince me that I should have compassion for those who live on welfare or something.

I was not convinced.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MoseSSesoM

Other than no kid, this is my everyday life.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By fini_fly

That was a depressing endeavor. And that is probably why more games are not made like that. Although as a tool to raise awareness on social issues, it certainly does a good job.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Becuase its not very accurate? I get the point of it and if your living in the staes and have to pay for healthcare I get that its worse but Ive been REALLY broke in the past and some of the options you would have to realisticaly pick are not given. Why not walk and take public transit instead of paying throught the ass for a car and gas? Why am i limited to 4 packs of $1 ramin? The prices for some of the things are just not right. While I get and undersatnd the message of SPENT its limited and not highly realistic in many ways. As for no mainstream games being like this just pick up a Sim City game and get deep into the Mayor / counicl aspects of it if thats what your looking for. Interesting game, worth a play but wouldnt take too much of what it does to heart, jsut read the informative statistics in between decisions.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

Like i said in another thread. Real Life isnt Fun.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By veektarius

Would you pay for that game? I wouldn't. If the answer is no, then there's your answer.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By crusader8463

Because people play games to not have to think about real life problems.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@crusader8463: But..but..what about all the pseudo intellectuals who need to feel smarter than everyone else because they play a "deep" game that deals with social issues?!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kingzetta

uhh if you can't make it through a month without spending a 1000 bucks in real life, what is wrong with you?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By crusader8463

@Still_I_Cry said:

@crusader8463: But..but..what about all the pseudo intellectuals who need to feel smarter than everyone else because they play a "deep" game that deals with social issues?!

That's what books are for.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BlinkyTM

@crusader8463 said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

That's what books are for.

That is what QWOP is for.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@crusader8463: Well played :P

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jozzy

@kingzetta said:

uhh if you can't make it through a month without spending a 1000 bucks in real life, what is wrong with you?

I assume you don't have any kids. This game is about a single father. Not saying it isn't possible, but it certainly would require some serious sacrifices.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kingzetta
@jozzy said:

@kingzetta said:

I assume you don't have any kids. This game is about a single father. Not saying it isn't possible, but it certainly would require some serious sacrifices.

No shit, it's not actually that hard to live within your means. It's your wanting to live outside your means that messes you up.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bybeach

@DeF said:

the one thing I'd say is bad about this game would be that it seems unlikely that some new crap is happening EVERY single day

When you are living on the edge, most anything will affect you. And without being scientific about it, I would bet most of it bad. IE, trying to negotiate getting from point a to point b juggling time and/or money.. Screw up this one up and lose your job. So on so forth. One of the best things that occurred to me in life was getting enough together situationally so that my well being was more contigent on my own responsibility,..then that responsibility or rather lack of it was the major threat of course, rather than a condition. I could respond to it, or even make choices to whom/what I was responsible to, and still do okay. that is, if I chose correctly...

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jozzy

@kingzetta said:

@jozzy said:

@kingzetta said:

No shit, it's not actually that hard to live within your means. It's your wanting to live outside your means that messes you up.

Now you are just being ridiculous. This is in no way about me, I have 3 kids and I manage just fine (with more than a $1000 obviously) thank you. If you think it's easy to life and raise a kid on $1000 a month I don't know what part of the USA you are living. A place to live that is "suitable" for a small family will cost you at least $500 alone.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CaptainCody

I bet this is another dumbass, overly hipster flash game. Shock that once I clicked on it I was right..

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kingzetta

@jozzy said:

@kingzetta said:

@jozzy said:

@kingzetta said:

Now you are just being ridiculous. This is in no way about me, I have 3 kids and I manage just fine (with more than a $1000 obviously) thank you. If you think it's easy to life and raise a kid on $1000 a month I don't know what part of the USA you are living. A place to live that is "suitable" for a small family will cost you at least $500 alone.

I meant the general you not actually you jozzy.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By phantomzxro

I think it is a cool idea and maybe someone can do something with that. But i want to say there are a good amount of people living that game and do what they can to make it. Some who are not quite that broke and have money for games i think would want to live out a cooler fantasy to get away from worrying about bills,tests,stressful jobs, real life, or whenever your car think its nice to brake down before a holiday.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PeasantAbuse

More games aren't like this because it's boring as hell to play.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By CastroCasper

I only made it to the 15th day before I wanted to quit and immediatly call my parents and appologize. While we weren't this poor, I am sure my snot nose ass wanted ice cream when we could of used the money on gas

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#41  Edited By donutfever

I heard about this game before, also from GB.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Burzmali

$3 for spaghetti and another $3 for sauce? Where the hell is my guy shopping, Whole Foods? Get the $0.79 spaghetti and the $1 can of generic sauce, dumbass. With a little bit of sugar added, it tastes almost as good as the brand-name stuff. If I don't make it to the end of the month, it's going to be because my guy's standards seem to be too high.

Edit: Made it with $85 to spare. I'm smart enough to tutor my kid in math/science, paid all the bills, managed to stay healthy, and kept everyone fed. Even drove to my friends wedding. I get where this is going, but the person in the game is making bad choices. $75 a month for a cell phone? How about $20 as needed for a prepaid. $100 for car insurance? Is he really that bad of a driver, or does he not own his car outright? Learn to drive or ditch the leased/financed car and get a cheap clunker and a repair manual. I'm sure there were other ways to save money, but those are the ones I remember. I am by no means a raging conservative, but someone who can't get by on $1k a month really needs to get their priorities straight. Even with the kid, this shouldn't be that hard.