Why spoilers mean nothing to viewers of a soap opera?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

Soap Magazines for those that don't know, are magazines that pretty much spoil what is going to happen in the coming weeks/days on a soap opera. Why the fuck do people want to read about something there going to watch? Thats like us before we jumped into say The Walking Dead, reading about what happens in it.

MADNESS!

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RandomHero666

Because people who watch soaps(assuming you mean shit like eastenders) have no imagination, watch the same programme every day, with the same recycled storyline and drama just happening to a different person.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't know, but if it wasn't for Eastenders The Walking Dead would be the most depressing thing on TV.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

It's not even that there small, they say that this character will die and this character will be the killer, what is the point of watching the show after that..

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

Some people are dumb I guess. I go out of my way to know as little as I can about movies, TV or games I really want to see to the point that I stop trailers after seeing enough to know I want the product so I can't explain why someone would do so.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft

@Hizang said:

It's not even that there small, they say that this character will die and this character will be the killer, what is the point of watching the show after that..

I never understood that either, read a TV guide and the entire plot and major reveals are right there in the synopsis, also most of the guides have fairly in spoiler rich what happens this week in the soaps

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By habster3

People actually read those Soap magazines...?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RazielCuts

Jeff has a theory hes mentioned a few times about people liking spoilers because they have some superiority of knowing whats going to happen and they don't have to feel shocked and unease by being surprised or something like that. Personally I hate spoilers with a passion, if you already know whats going to happen next what's the point, there are no stakes and I don't feel invested in the characters and plot.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By nightriff

@RandomHero666: I heard Barry from Eastenders is pretty good.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

People who watch soap operas are bad people. That's right, I just insulted my own mother, and Dr. House.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By recroulette

I guess it's for people who are going to miss a day or go on vacation. 

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By Levio

Some people really like to tell others what's going to happen in a movie/TV show. Don't ask me why.

tarvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tarvis

The same reason a person will watch a movie or television show based on a book they've read. Or read a book after watching a movie or television show. Or any media based on historical fact. Spoilers are only a big deal if you think spoilers are a big deal.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By pyromagnestir

I think the question you should be asking is why people watch soap operas in the first place. Also this sounds a lot like what Jeff what was talking about regarding behind the scenes wrestling websites that would spoil winners of matches, and who needs 3 months off to shoot a movie, and so on.

@tarvis said:

The same reason a person will watch a movie or television show based on a book they've read. Or read a book after watching a movie or television show. Or any media based on historical fact. Spoilers are only a big deal if you think spoilers are a big deal.

Please don't spoil history for me. I skipped the books because I'm waiting for the movie.

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By living4theday258

@crusader8463 said:

Some people are dumb I guess. I go out of my way to know as little as I can about movies, TV or games I really want to see to the point that I stop trailers after seeing enough to know I want the product so I can't explain why someone would do so.

this is what I do.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@habster3

I hope not, the shampoo magazines are way better.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

I've experienced my fair share of soap operas through osmosis and I have to say nearly every show I've seen is really predictable. Maybe it's because every twist can be seen a mile away that people just don't care. It's like spoilers when watching the WWE. Those stories are so predictable why would those fans care if they are spoiled?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life is a big soap opera mannnnnnnn

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I think the people who do this are possibly just heavily invested in the world that is created in these shows. They just have toknow what happens next as soon as possible, and will still watch what they just read about even though they know what will happen already because they want to experience it within the medium of the world with which they have become so enraptured. It is quite possible that they aren't all that interested in the actual story itself, but just want to feel a part of whatever story it is with which they have connected.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

@Hizang said:

Soap Magazines for those that don't know, are magazines that pretty much spoil what is going to happen in the coming weeks/days on a soap opera. Why the fuck do people want to read about something there going to watch? Thats like us before we jumped into say The Walking Dead, reading about what happens in it.

MADNESS!

As someone who both watches soaps (mainly General Hospital, and it's been a while - haven't watched since right after Lucky was in that abandoned house after doing some smack) and has read those soap magazines, I can tell you exactly why: we don't care. It doesn't matter if something is spoiled or not. We still want to see it unfold.

There's also the fact that multiple soaps would run during the same times. Because of this, some people wanted to know what was going on with the other soaps and see what was coming up so they could join in the conversation with their soap-watching friends.

Also, don't you people dare fucking judge me. General Hospital used to be the shit. Sadly, Steve Burton is leaving the show...which basically kills the majority of interest I could possibly have in the show at all. Jason Morgan was an incredible character, and Steve Burton is the only man that can play him properly.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Animasta

@JasonR86 said:

I've experienced my fair share of soap operas through osmosis and I have to say nearly every show I've seen is really predictable. Maybe it's because every twist can be seen a mile away that people just don't care. It's like spoilers when watching the WWE. Those stories are so predictable why would those fans care if they are spoiled?

wrestling is just a soap opera that's acceptable for guys to watch honestly, always has been.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JasonR86

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86 said:

wrestling is just a soap opera that's acceptable for guys to watch honestly, always has been.

Exactly.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@pyromagnestir said:

@tarvis said:

Please don't spoil history for me. I skipped the books because I'm waiting for the movie.

Don't worry, they ended up changing the story quite a bit for the film version so book spoilers won't ruin anything for you.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Sooty

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86 said:

It's funny that the acceptable medium for a guy to watch is one where men are half naked with sketchy levels of skin showing at times. (Rishiki)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JasonR86

@Sooty said:

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86 said:

It's funny that the acceptable medium for a guy to watch is one where men are half naked with sketchy levels of skin showing at times. (Rishiki)

They have that in common with soap operas too.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By habster3

@NekuSakuraba said:

@habster3

I hope not, the shampoo magazines are way better.

Well played, well played

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I will tell you the truth: they don't care because 99.9% of everything that happens (no matter what anyone says) doesn't matter. But knowing that something is going to happen gets viewers to tune in. That's the formula for a show that lasts 20 years.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By lazyhoboguy

@TooWalrus said:

People who watch soap operas are bad people. That's right, I just insulted my own mother, and Dr. House.

My mother is an overall smart lady, but she watches soap operas every day. When confronted about this contradiction in her level of intelligence/ watching of soap opersa she admitted they weren't good, but continues to watch them. I think chicks just like seeing ridiculous romantic and dramatic crap.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

it's so people won't be surprised at it. i don't know why people would watch those shows. it's pretty much the same thing every day, week. people always cheats on people. it's a love triangle.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187

@iam3green said:

it's so people won't be surprised at it. i don't know why people would watch those shows. it's pretty much the same thing every day, week. people always cheats on people. it's a love triangle.

It's actually MUCH more than that simplistic of a view. There are some very intricate storylines in some of them. It's odd because I look at something like Sons of Anarchy and I think "there's not much difference between this and General Hospital". Both involve gangs, badasses, cheating, manipulation, barters and deals under the table, secrets and lies, people sitting around in rooms just talking to each other about shit we've seen all season.

It's about the characters in the end, and there are a lot of great soap characters. That's kind of the main reason I personally found myself enamored with General Hospital: the characters on that show for a strong ten year span were fantastic. The show was well-written. They would be more than willing to throw people for a loop every once in a while.

The only two issues I end up having with soaps is the handling of death and the handling of children growing up. When it comes to death, no one actually dies unless the actor dies in real life, and even then, there are very few times that they won't bring the character back with a different actor. I'm honestly kind of hoping that they flat-out kill off Edward Quartermaine in GH because there is no one that can play him better than John Ingle did. They killed off Lyla's character, so why not kill him off? At the same time, ELQ and the Quartermaine family are such an important part of that whole series that Edward is almost a necessary character, especially since they killed off Alan some time back.

As for kids, I just hate it when the kid is a kid, and then after about a year, they bring in the character again and they are a fucking teenager. It's like...seriously, just let them goddamn age. Give them some credit. I understand that right now the companies making the soaps are trying to bring in younger viewers (that 20-30 age group) and so it helps them relate more. Nonetheless, it does a disservice to some of those characters. I'll never forget when they aged Shaun D. on Days of our Lives. I wanted to gag afterwards. Granted, the actor grew into his own and really owned that character well. Nonetheless, it was just...I don't know, it was a travesty to me. The same thing recently happened with Michael Corinthos and Kristina Corinthos (Sonny's kids on GH). They aged them up, and it kind of killed the show for me. Then again, they also brought in characters from another soap opera that was cancelled (i.e. Todd and Blair from One Life To Live) to try and pull over some of that viewership and such. Some of those characters just don't mix well with General Hospital.

Anyways...yeah, I think I just spoke more about soap operas than most people on these forums would have the foggiest about. I'm going to exit stage right and continue to weep about Steve Burton leaving GH.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Terramagi

I have never once understood the aversion to spoilers.

Like, to be sure, I won't actively go seek them out. But I'm not going to live in a fucking cave in the weeks prior to a new episode of a show I like, or a game coming out. I'm not going to shove my fingers in my ears and screech "THPOILERTH" any time somebody brings up the books a series might be based on - primarily because I'll probably end up reading said books at some point, or secondarily because I'll sound like a complete jackass stymieing any conversation that might be had.

Fun fact? I never played Mass Effect 3. But I know enough about it to pass judgement on that piece of shit through pure osmosis. I didn't lock myself in a sound-proof cell because there was controversy going on and I was holding onto hope that I would play it. I knew I wouldn't, and I am vindicated.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Terramagi: That's too bad, 'cause it's definitely not a piece of shit and you just heard a lot of people who were angry about the last ten minutes. There's some really affecting stuff in Mass Effect 3, and no matter how screwed up parts of it may be, other parts are so fantastic that it kind of defies explanation. This continues to be the problem with groupthink.

Spoilers only matter if you want to honestly judge media rather than simply enjoy it (unless you enjoy twists, in which case obviously spoilers would be a problem for your enjoyment too.) If you're not a crazy person trying to evaluate what the best games, movies, or books are, then spoilers aren't that huge a deal because you're just along for the ride. For people digging way, way too deep into things (like me,) spoilers are hugely important because you're trying to evaluate the quality or artfulness of the turns.

For the record, I do enjoy twists, so I tend to do things as quickly as possible to avoid the spoilers. However, if I catch a spoiler, it rarely noticeably "negatively impacts" my experience.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think this applies for everyone who enjoy soaps, but I think the reason people buy those magazines is because they don't care that much about spoilers, and they want to be both in the know about the shows they enjoy and are interested enough in those characters that they want to know what happens to them as soon as they can.