Windows 7 RC Question

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine

I'm thinking about installing Windows 7 RC onto my computer. I currently run Vista. If I install Windows 7 RC and don't like it can I change back to Vista?

Edit: I don't have the discs, Vista came on my PC.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Why would you not  be able too?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolverine

I don't have the discs because Vista came on my PC when I bought it.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By m1k3

If you bought your PC from retail, then you should have gotten the vista disc. i've been on the windows 7 beta and just downloaded the RC, and i love it. Much more efficient than vista.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Megalon

Your vista disc might be called "recovery disc" or something similar, btw. 

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolverine
Megalon said:
"Your vista disc might be called "recovery disc" or something similar, btw. "
Okay I'll go searching then.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolverine
Wolverine said:
"Megalon said:
"Your vista disc might be called "recovery disc" or something similar, btw. "
Okay I'll go searching then.
"
Second thought, I doubt I'll have problems. I'll and install it and if I do I'll find the recovery disc.
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By thebeast

Yeah I shouldn't worry about having too many problems - the driver architecture and such is almost exactly the same as that in Vista.

Note that the RC expires in March 2010 - so you won't be able to use it without it shutting down every 2 hours after that. Make sure you're either planning to upgrade or have your computers 'recovery disk' at hand.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Systech

Please post back and tell me if it works. I have the same issue at the moment because I really want to download that RC.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thebeast
Meltbrain said:
"Do you think they will offer some kind of nominal discount to people who used the beta/RC? I sure hope so, cause damn Win7 will probably be hella expensive when it's released. Speaking of which, do you know if they've announced a RRP?"
A discount is highly unlikely considering the beta/RC is open to practically everyone and I don't remember them doing anything similar in the past.
Nothing's confirmed on the RRP front yet but it's likely to be in the range of $200-$300 if previous releases are anything to go by. 
If you're a student or a member of the MSDN you're likely to get a rather hefty discount, if not completely free.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

The RC works great. Better than the beta for sure.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thebeast
Meltbrain said:
"TheBeast said:
"Meltbrain said:
"Do you think they will offer some kind of nominal discount to people who used the beta/RC? I sure hope so, cause damn Win7 will probably be hella expensive when it's released. Speaking of which, do you know if they've announced a RRP?"
A discount is highly unlikely considering the beta/RC is open to practically everyone and I don't remember them doing anything similar in the past.
Nothing's confirmed on the RRP front yet but it's likely to be in the range of $200-$300 if previous releases are anything to go by. 
If you're a student or a member of the MSDN you're likely to get a rather hefty discount, if not completely free.
"
I'm not either of those =( Could I become a member of the MSDN without too much hassle do you think? Or is that just for serious developer types. I do have some programming experience, but not a fat lot."
You have to purchase a subscription unfortunately - it's quite a hefty sum but considering just how much you get for it, if you're interested in development then it's a really good investment.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demyx

I should download it.

Meltbrain said:

"systech said:
"Please post back and tell me if it works. I have the same issue at the moment because I really want to download that RC."
It should work fine, man. I installed the beta many moons ago and the installation process and bootup is smooth as hell, and for what it's worth I haven't had a single crash or crazy error of any kind since that day, so I would say aslong as you have backed your stuff up then go for it."
how exactly do you download it and such? (i have an idea, but I'm really paranoid of doing something stupid)

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Systech
Meltbrain said:
"systech said:
"Please post back and tell me if it works. I have the same issue at the moment because I really want to download that RC."
It should work fine, man. I installed the beta many moons ago and the installation process and bootup is smooth as hell, and for what it's worth I haven't had a single crash or crazy error of any kind since that day, so I would say aslong as you have backed your stuff up then go for it."
A couple other questions:
  • Does it end up running faster even though Vista is stored on the disc?
  • Is it easy to switch from Vista to 7 whenever you want?
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thebeast
Demyx said:
"I should download it.
how exactly do you download it and such? (i have an idea, but I'm really paranoid of doing something stupid)"
Right
here.
Make sure you read everything thoroughly so you know what you're getting yourself in to!
IVIorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IVIorpheus

I'm fairly sure you can....

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By KamasamaK

As long as you have your Vista key recorded somewhere you should be fine. You can find a Vista disc elsewhere if you need. I doubt you'd want to go back anyway unless you wait until the RC expires.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By JJOR64

My Vista machine was pre-installed and I have the disc for it so you should have it somewhere.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Demyx

Took me all day, but I finally got everything installed, and I gotta say, I'm lovin' it.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By turbomonkey138

What's different about it ?