Windows Won't Update

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RonGalaxy

I was on my computer today and saw that my Microsoft SE tray icon was saying I might be at risk because I hadnt scanned in a week. So I went to update the virus definitions and it said something like "cannot connect. failed to download". I restarted my computer and the program and that didn't do anything, so then I went to the windows update program to see if I could install the definition update from there, and it's not letting me search for updates there either (its saying I have never updated my computer which isnt true). So, what could be causing this? Just checked another computer in the house to see if it was having the same issue (maybe its a server issue on MS's side) but it was working fine. Really hope my computer isn't infected.

EDIT: apparently the definitions say they are updated now but I still cant check for updates on the windows updater. The error number is 80246002

EDIT2: Problem seems to be fixed, but I still have questions (which are outlined below).

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'm not sure, but it could be an issue with your hosts file. I think it's in the System or System32 folder in the Windows install. The file is simply named hosts, with no extension, and is a text file that can be used to reroute ip addresses and domains.

Some malware may rewrite that file, and some legitimate programs do it too.

It could also be worth it to use the Network diagnostics tool to check if it can find any issues in the Network settings. Another options is to change the DNS used to Google's public DNS servers, available at 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8.

Edit: I assume you've searched for the error code you listed and followed the advice at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-error-0x80246002?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Im running windows 7, but yes I've checked and nothing is working so far. I looked at my update history and the only update one listed is for the definition update and it says it was successful now, but I still cant update. Ill try the things you recommended.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: I found the hosts file. It seems to be fine, but I looked up how to reset it to default just in case. That didn't do anything. It had a bunch of stuff about adobe in it (which may or may not be from when I did something bad concerning photoshop and obtaining it. Im not sure though) but nothing out of the ordinary. Anyway, that didn't fix the problem. I'll move onto the network thing next. Ill update this with more info.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CatsAkimbo

It might be trying to download the recent bad update that Microsoft pulled because it was blue-screening machines. See here or here. I'd hold off on windows 7 updates until there's definitive word that the latest update is stable.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might be trying to download the recent bad update that Microsoft pulled because it was blue-screening machines. See here or here. I'd hold off on windows 7 updates until there's definitive word that the latest update is stable.

Last time I updated was 8/16 so I probably already installed it. Im looking at the list of installed updates and I cant find anything called "MS14-045". And why would this make it so I can't update? I rarely ever have problems computer wise so when stuff like this pops up it's super frustrating and makes me anxious for a fix.

A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7 A

test

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RonGalaxy

Okay so I contacted microsoft support and they told me to clean boot the system. So I did that and now it's working fine. I checked for updates, it ran for a few minutes, and it said I'm up to date. Normal booted the system and checked again. Same thing: it checks for updates and it says I'm up to date now. Problem seems to be fixed.

But I have one more question. What the fuck? I fixed the problem and have no idea what caused it. It must have been a 3rd party program because disabling them all fixed it. And the windows update client still says "never" under "Updates Were Installed:". So, where do I go from here? I have no clue what could have caused it.

I'm pretty sure it's not a virus or malware because I have really good browsing hygiene: don't download shady shit and don't go to unfamiliar sites (often). I keep everything up to date run a scan often. So Im sure it's not anything malicious.

What does have me thinking is I installed both witcher games recently and they both did something I've never seen from a game installing on steam. It asked for windows firewall permission or something like that. I don't recall exactly what it said but it was something firewall/network related. Could that be related?