Wonder Woman

• 69 results
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@whitegreyblack: yeah it felt really forced/rushed and unnecessary. they could have had the same characters/setup and not gone that route. or at least waited until towards the end and built to it better. i'd rather it had not been there at all. more i think about it there were quite a few things that undermined WW's strength as a character.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ripelivejam: Also, after the storyline left the Amazonian island you get to see.... I think, maybe 4 female characters with speaking roles in the rest of the movie? Wonder Woman, the secretary, the evil doctor, and the German debutante that Wonder Woman rolls for her dress (I think she has a total of two lines).

I don't know, it did create some interesting storyline elements of Diana/Wonder Woman bucking the trends in her clothing and actions in the male-dominated military complex of WWI but it still seemed like the show jumped right back into the standard action-movie cruise control.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Wunder Frau ist wunderbar!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54  Edited By Castiel

First act: It was okay at best but a little plain, predictable and maybe even a little rushed?

Second act: Good. I genuinely enjoyed the middle part of the movie.

Third act: Horrendous. WW makes the same mistake as the previous three DC movies. A way to over the top CG shit show. The ending part of the movie is so bad that it ends up hurting the rest of the movie. It's a goddamn shame because DC was on their way to have their first good movie in a long time.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jadegl said:

Besides the ending, which kind of loses focus and goes full Dragonball Z

After seeing that ending, I feel that a DBZ could easily work if the right people worked on it, especially with the current superhero movie climate we're in. I also got some Attack on Titan vibes from the beach scene near the beginning where they grappled to the wall and swung down.

As for my opinion on the movie itself, I enjoyed it but I fully agree with a lot of sentiments here too. We live in a day and age of fantastic CGI but there was some serious stand out moments here where it just looked awful. I'm talking Age of Ultron awful.

I also really, really disliked the romance subplot. It just so felt forced and unnecessary. When Steve and Diana were dancing, I was like, please don't kiss and they didn't. I thought to myself, I'm so glad they didn't go there, only to then have that happen 5 seconds later and then presumed sex. That also leads into the sex jokes. They weren't funny, they were just cringe-inducing but I'm sure saying a man has a larger than average penis is funny to Zack Synder. Steve and Diana barely say a word to each other and one of he first proper conversations they have was about sex. smh.

With that said, when it works, it really works. The action scenes are hype as fuck and the No Man's Land portion of the film is great. The beginning of the film also gives us a break from the DC norm with this gorgeous island with bright and vibrant colours but it unfortunately doesn't last too long.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By DarkeyeHails

@mrcraggle: To be fair, if you were going to have a place look grim, grey and murky then the western front of World War 1 is a natural fit.

blackmagicwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave this a 5/5, I think it's one of the most beautiful movies ever made.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Qrowdyy

So here's a little tidbit for you guys. Zack Snyder and executives at DC didn't want the the no man's land/village scene in the movie. The director, Patty Jenkins, had to fight to get that scene in(great that we had a female director for a female superhero movie, maybe next time a female writer as well, cuz there were some...problems with the script).

Knowing that the possibly the best scene in the movie(and the defining moment for Wonder Woman's character), almost wasn't in movie, doesn't make me optimistic for DC film universe going forwards.

That said the movie was pretty good. It was at its best when Chris Pine was on screen. He really stole the show. Gal Gadot wasn't amazing imo, but she wasn't terrible either. The last fight scene had Snyder's grubby fingerprints all over it.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@qrowdyy: What's the source for this information?

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By nicksmi56

Great film. I was worried in the beginning, both from rushed setup and liberal use of slow-mo, but the movie picked up from the minute they get to London, and that No Man's Land sequence was a show-stopper.

Cast is great, chemistry is great and the movie looks good. My only real complaints after they leave Thimescyra are the movie kind of dropping the ball on the moral (Diana should have stated her point to Ares better than just aping Steve) and the fact that the film's moral is undone by BvS, which isn't the film's fault but still a big eh.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By pyrodactyl

@qrowdyy: What's the source for this information?

Yeah, your comment fits very well with the narrative that DC and Zack Snyder don't know what the fuck they're doing. Would be a shame if it was complete bullshit.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrowdyy: I'm actually kind of torn over that scene because on the one hand, it is great and I loved it as some grade A, pure superhero cornball action. On the other hand, the set-piece doesn't exactly gel with the idea that World War 1 was a complex conflict without villains exactly but people stuck in the muck and horrors of war. It's the sort of thing that would have played better if she was fighting Nazis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@fredchuckdave said:

@whitestripes09: The first Captain America is terrible compared to Wonder Woman while aiming to do roughly the same thing; the second one is a totally different (really good) movie, the third one is basically an avengers movie that kind of sucks (and essentially nothing happens).

I feel the exact opposite. The first one is by far my favorite thanks to the Director and its close resemblance to The Rocketeer. The second one was a well filmed but standard action movie. The third was another avengers movie which I couldn't stand.

I am kind of going back and forth on whether I'll see this in the theaters. I don't really like superhero movies that much. . . but then again . . . Gal Gadot. . .

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@whitegreyblack said:

It was definitely one of the best DC movies in the past decade or so, but it followed the Marvel formula to a fault (and to the letter).

I gotta say I was a bit unhappy to see they still had the empowered female title character fall hopelessly in love with the very first man she ever encounters. I went in to the film hoping they'd not toss Wonder Woman straight into a romance situation, but I guess that was a foolish wish.

A lot of people, especially women, like romance (just ask my wife!) . . . it's really not all that unexpected.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: @colonel_pockets: Wow, didn't expect the hostility. In any case this isn't exactly a secret, you'll find multiple articles about it with a simple google search. But, I'll provide a couple links anyways:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/6/8/15742716/wonder-woman-script-second-act

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-womans-most-fantastic-scene-nearly-didnt-get-mad-1795811939

Apparently the info stems from an interview the director did with Fandango. I think its mentioned in one of the articles i linked.

@darkeyehails: ikr! I was actually confused about which world war the movie was set in for an embarrassing amount of time. To be fair though the "evil Germans" depiction is a problem with the entire movie and not just that one scene.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@qrowdyy: If I came off as hostile, I did not mean it. There has just been so much wrong stuff out there about this movie pre-release, that it didn't seem right. Thanks for the links. That would have been a shame if they cut that scene because it is so powerful.

Rata Gain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Rata Gain

Well at least they made a lot female customers happy , right girls ?

Avatar image for nietzschecookie
NietzscheCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By NietzscheCookie

I just saw it. My first thought is that this movie is all over the place. Overall I liked it about the same amount as Captain America 1, so an ok 3/5 stars. But where Captain america was a 3 star film all the way through this oscillated wildly between great and cringeworthy.

The good: The romance plot had heart, the humour mostly worked, the crew of soldiers were well developed, the ending was kinda cool looking.

The bad: Those plot twists were bad. Why have them if you're going to make it so obvious? And as many others have said, these aren't Nazis, many of them were in fact German Jews, who would later suffer Nazis. Also Ludendorff was a real person, I'm not saying he wasn't a bad dude, but giving a version of history where general Erich Ludendorff had super human strength is kinda weird, right? Its also very odd in this movie how Diana flips between taking germans out without a thought and then saying she's trying to save them from themselves. Crossing no mans land was uncomfortable. Like I get that they have to tell the story from one side but when there are examples of things like the Christmas truces in no mans land, demonstrating Diana's supposed stance on peace and heroism could have been done in a much less confusing way.

The ugly: That Justice League guitar riff is the absolute worst, it instantly ruins any scene over which it plays.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: That was directed more at the other guy, don't worry about it.