Xbox 360 Installing to Hard Drive Proving Crafty at me.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

Edited By nukesniper

So, I have a copy of Supreme Commander from that distant past Best Buy blowout, and I want to try it out and at least give it a chance before I never play it again. However, my Red Elite console refuses to read the disk properly. So, I thought I was getting all wily and went and used my old white Xbox to install the game to the 120gb hard drive from my Elite. Apparently the other box has no difficulty reading the disk. 

I took my hard drive back to my Elite console (as it is the one in my room, where I am now) and tried to play the game from the hard drive. In theory I saw this working, as the system does read that it is the Supreme Commander disk, it just doesn't load anything other than a blank frozen screen if I try to boot it up. So, I try booting the disk from the Hard Drive and the Xbox proudly tells me that you can't play from the hard drive except on the console that did the installing. Now why the heck is that the case? I have the disk in the drive, I have my hard drive in there with the game data on it. How could I be cheating? I don't get it. Hell, I'm even on Xbox Live, I'm the only me out there!

Right now I am trying to install it again through my Red Elite system so I can play it here, on MY Xbox. It always gives a dirty-disk-error around 22%, but now I am trying it with the system upright. I really find it pointless that I am trying so hard to play this game... It isn't making those painful noises as much with the system upright, but I still don't know about this... It's up to 24% now though, a new record. Heh, and dead, just as I typed that.

Why the hell can't I play this game through the hard drive if it is not on the original console that installed it. What is that about?
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nukesniper

So, I have a copy of Supreme Commander from that distant past Best Buy blowout, and I want to try it out and at least give it a chance before I never play it again. However, my Red Elite console refuses to read the disk properly. So, I thought I was getting all wily and went and used my old white Xbox to install the game to the 120gb hard drive from my Elite. Apparently the other box has no difficulty reading the disk. 

I took my hard drive back to my Elite console (as it is the one in my room, where I am now) and tried to play the game from the hard drive. In theory I saw this working, as the system does read that it is the Supreme Commander disk, it just doesn't load anything other than a blank frozen screen if I try to boot it up. So, I try booting the disk from the Hard Drive and the Xbox proudly tells me that you can't play from the hard drive except on the console that did the installing. Now why the heck is that the case? I have the disk in the drive, I have my hard drive in there with the game data on it. How could I be cheating? I don't get it. Hell, I'm even on Xbox Live, I'm the only me out there!

Right now I am trying to install it again through my Red Elite system so I can play it here, on MY Xbox. It always gives a dirty-disk-error around 22%, but now I am trying it with the system upright. I really find it pointless that I am trying so hard to play this game... It isn't making those painful noises as much with the system upright, but I still don't know about this... It's up to 24% now though, a new record. Heh, and dead, just as I typed that.

Why the hell can't I play this game through the hard drive if it is not on the original console that installed it. What is that about?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond
@nukesniper said:
Why the hell can't I play this game through the hard drive if it is not on the original console that installed it. What is that about? "
I heard about this.  Probably just another layer of security MS put in place in case some walls are 'broken down' in the future.  I can't think of any good reason to have that security measure in place right now. 

Odds are the disk is somewhat messed up if only one of your 360s can read it.  Or maybe one of your 360's DVD drive is gone bad?  Try installing any other games lately?
nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nukesniper

Yeah, I've put quite a few games on recently. All has been well so far. I guess if this xbox does die its no biggie, I got months left on the warrenty. Just weird stuff all in all. Only disk that won't play or install, and that whole "just in case" security that Microsoft likes so very much. I have just resorted to playing this game on the other Xbox at this point.

Avatar image for pocketfullabuttholes
PocketfullaButtholes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Same thing happened to me. Burnout Paradise wouldn't work on my Elite (drive barely reads disks) but installed on my arcade (newer). Installed Burnout on Elite hard drive on arcade and same thing happened. Get a new disk or a new console. No real way around it. I tried everything.