extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#1  Edited By extintor

EDIT (23/09/14)

I'm sorry to everyone that was planning to attend this but due to a family commitment that has just come up today, I won't be around for the weekend any more. That isn't to say to not have a meetup... it's just that I'm not going to be around so won't be able to coordinate stuff any more. Unless someone else wants to pick up the torch and run with it, you should probably consider this meet up cancelled.

Ok. We're a month out from this so here's the plan.

I'll have an 'unfiltered USA' please.

EGX closes at 7pm each day so let's say that the main meet up is on Sat 27th @ The Four Quarters Bar - from 8pm

The Four Quarters is only 30 mins away from EGX's location by train and light rail so ought to be fairly accessible (especially if you're South of the river).The Loading bar is also a similar distance to EGX so could be a back up alternative if things don't work out with The Four Quarters.

For those interested in multiple meet ups we could also have a secondary meet up on either Friday 26th or Sunday 28th @ Heart of Gaming - from 8pm (an overnight lock-in option is available at HoG so if you feel hardcore enough for that let me know ahead of time so that I can let them know)

Heart of Gaming
Heart of Gaming

More about HoG , as covered by Edge magazine here

Reply in this thread to let me know if you plan to come to either/both so I can get a list

together for the venues;

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By rahulricky

Saturday would work best for me (that's the day I've got my ticket for). My nerd hang out of choice is always Loading Bar in Dalston, great people on the bar, good atmosphere to it.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By LackingSaint

Likely any day would work for me, there's a good chance I can make it to this one! Live Q&A for the guy who made that dumb Enjoy Your Massage animation over here.

Kittiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

100% down for this. Friday would probably be the best for me, but I could make whenever.

Likely any day would work for me, there's a good chance I can make it to this one! Live Q&A for the guy who made that dumb Enjoy Your Massage animation over here.

Hah, wicked. I've watched your videos enough times that I reckon I probably owe you a pint! :)

ChanceFurlong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I'd be up for this. Friday and Saturday are best, but can probably make any day work.

@kittiah Hmm, don't I know you from somewhere? :p

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I won't have my September work roster until next month, but I'm definitely up for coming along again if I'm able to on whatever day we pick - I'm sure I'll be able to prise myself away from Destiny for one night - I mean Matt stepped back from DOTA2 so it must be possible.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooh cool an official thread for this. I have sorted my tickets for the friday so naturally thats the best day for me.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A suggestion...?
No alcohol or food served... but it does look fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

https://www.facebook.com/fourquartersbar

Suggestion, I believe it's £10 gets you unlimited arcade games + it has a bar serving a wide range of drinks. It opened this month and I have heard nothing but great things about it.

Though I've been trying to find out more about this £10 deal and not sure if its true or not, air with caution XD

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm going to EGX, as are a few of the other British mods. I'm sure we'll be there. I'm definitely going on to the show on Friday and on Saturday. Maybe Sunday (I have a ticket for Sunday, but I might not go depending on what other plans I have).

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suggestion, I believe it's £10 gets you unlimited arcade games + it has a bar serving a wide range of drinks. It opened this month and I have heard nothing but great things about it.

Though I've been trying to find out more about this £10 deal and not sure if its true or not, air with caution XD

this place looks great! Let's keep an eye on it to see how it pans out though as it's only been open for a few weeks.

My pref would be either the Friday or the Saturday night but I can do the Thurs or the Sunday if that's what people would like.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I would totally be up for this! Any day would be fine with me.

GeneralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait on a finalised date before I buy my ticket, hope they're not sold out by then

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By extintor

I've got tickets for the Friday.

Let's go with Sat 27th as the date for the meetup. It seems like most people will have gone on either the Fri and/or Sat so Sat night would make the most sense.

Any more suggestions on venue?

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hmmm, very tempting indeed to toddle on down to the big smoke for this. Put me down as a highly positive maybe for right now.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not going to EGX this year.

So...have fun!

GeneralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do we need tickets to go to meetups? I'll be up for several meetups!

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By extintor

multiple things sounds alright by me.... either inside or outside of the EGX venue/location.

I'm pretty keen on taking a look at this place one evening

https://www.facebook.com/TheHeartOfGaming (I live nearby but haven't been yet)

or this place

or to head to Meltdown for some drinks, a wholesome game of 'mount your friends', or some more Gang Beasts?

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might be moving back to London in September so looking forward to it if I do move back. Cheers.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By extintor

Ok. We're a month out from this so here's the plan.

I'll  have an 'unfiltered USA' please.

EGX closes at 7pm each day so let's say that the main meet up is on Sat 27th @ The Four Quarters Bar - from 8pm.

The Four Quarters is only 30 mins away from EGX's location by train and light rail so ought to be fairly accessible (especially if you're South of the river). The Loading bar is also a similar distance to EGX so could be a back up alternative if things don't work out with The Four Quarters.

For those interested in multiple meet ups we could also have a secondary meet up on either Friday 26th or Sunday 28th @ Heart of Gaming - from 8pm (an overnight lock-in option is available at HoG so if you feel hardcore enough for that let me know ahead of time so that I can let them know)

Heart of Gaming
Heart of Gaming

More about HoG , as covered by Edge magazine here

Reply in this thread to let me know if you plan to come to either/both so I can get a list together for the venues;

Avatar image for redsquirrelbrown
RedSquirrelBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to EGX, but I'd be up for this if that's allowed? I'm gonna be living just up the road from the Four Quarters so I should be able to head over.

TrueHeresy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like this has been kind of quiet, I'd definitely be up for a meet with a good few folks - at least meet at EGX itself even. Still, seems cool and will probably make an appearance!?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I would love to but in order to catch a train home I'd have to leave when it starts... and I still wouldn't get home until after midnight.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I live south of the river and would love to come to this. I will do a little more research and see if it is actually feasible. :D

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if anything might happen on the friday i would be down for it

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MattyFTM  Moderator

I'll definitely be there on the Saturday night thing, I'll try to do the friday/sunday thing, but it depends on what other plans I have. I have to get back to Amersham (which is the most north-westerly tube station) so I might have to bail slightly earlier than the south London guys, but I'll definitely be there.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to say that we're still on for the Saturday night meet at the Four Quarters bar at 8pm. Hope to see a bunch of you there (EGX-goers and other duders who can make it are all welcome)

Friday/Sunday have become impossible for me in terms of going to HoG so I'll be going on the Saturday afternoon instead, come join us there. The place is really quite awesome.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortch I'm going to the Wild Rumpus party Saturday night after EGX, any GBers going to be there?

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By extintor

@rahulricky: It does actually look pretty great. Would duders prefer to go to that instead of The Four Quarters Bar?

There's time enough to change plans... so if people are up for going to Wild Rumpus instead let me know by the end of this week?

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry to everyone that was planning to attend this but due to a family commitment that has just come up today, I won't be around for the weekend any more. That isn't to say to not have a meetup... it's just that I'm not going to be around so won't be able to coordinate stuff any more. Unless someone else wants to pick up the torch and run with it, you should probably consider this meet up cancelled.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MattyFTM  Moderator

It's bit of a bummer it isn't going ahead as planned, but if any Giant Bomb duders want total meet up after EGX and make our way through to that Wild Rumpus thing, that seems like a great alternative plan.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are tickets still available for Wild Rumpus so you should definitely come if you can! Also, tomorrow night if people want something to do after EGX then they should go to Loading Bar for a Turbo City night, which'll have great music from folk like Scratch Bros. Turbo City Facebook event

I'll be at both events so gimme a shout if you see me, yelling because I'm losing a multiplayer game of some sort.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahulricky You sir are awesome for posting that turbo city facebook event, I have always wanted to see sabrepulse for a long time, tomorrow seems like the perfect chance to do it

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By extintor

I just want to apologise again to those duders that were expecting this to happen. Sometimes family stuff you can neither predict nor ignore comes up and unfortunately this was one of those times. I hope some of you were able to link up over the weekend anyway.

EGX was good for the one afternoon (Friday) that I could attend. I saw Rami Ismail give a talk on Nuclear Throne which was a pleasure. Some of the games looked pretty decent but were hard to form a proper opinion about (Dragon Age 3, Alien Isolation and Dying Light). Others, like the new Fable game and the Evil Within didn't really leave much of an impression.

By far the stand out best in show and most impressive was the Witcher 3. That looks like a proper video game.

The Meltdown meet up in July was great and we should definitely do something like that again. In the coming months, I'll try and arrange another London meetup. Let me know what you'd like to do?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MattyFTM  Moderator

I saw Rami Ismail give a talk on Nuclear Throne which was a pleasure

Were you the guy in the gamebomb.ru shirt who commented on my throwback BOMB shirt in the theatre for that talk?

To be honest, as much fun as a meet up would have been, by the end of Saturday at EGX I was just so exhausted from being on my feet pretty much all day for two days straight. I just wanted to sleep. I'd have still gone to the meetup if it was on and I'm sure it would have been great, but man, that sleep was great too.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm: Hey - yes that was me! What did you think of that dev talk? It definitely increased my interest in the game and my respect for Vlambeer overall.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MattyFTM  Moderator

@james_hayward: Yeah, it was really interesting. I also went to Rami's Q&A at the Go-8bit stage at the front of the hall. I love hearing game developers talk passionately about their games. I went to a couple of other developer sessions - Heat Signiture by Tom Francis and Volume by Mike Bithell. Those were both great too.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By extintor

@mattyftm: Great that you were able to spend a couple of days and really absorb all of that. I was limited to just an afternoon there unfortunately. Are you London-based? Hopefully there will be another meet up in the next few months to go to and I can introduce myself properly.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MattyFTM  Moderator

@james_hayward: Nah, I live up in Sunderland. I have family who live just outside London and I visit them 3 or 4 times a year, but the rest of the time I'm 300 miles away.

I am planning on going to EGX Rezzed in March (by total coincidence I was already planning on coming down to see the family that weekend. So now I'm just going to spend most of my time at a gaming convention instead of with them) so if you plan a meetup that weekend, that would be cool.