You're given 2 free drinks at a bar. A staff member offers you a free drink and you've already had your 2. Do you accept?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Poll You're given 2 free drinks at a bar. A staff member offers you a free drink and you've already had your 2. Do you accept? (357 votes)

Yes, it's their mistake, not mine. 70%
No, I've had my free 2 drinks and ethically I should buy the next one 22%
Just the results please 8%

I got this question debating moral imperative with a friend. What would you do?

• 
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I feel you're missing a shit tonne of information from this.

If I am given 2 free drinks at a bar and another free drink whats the problem? It's a free drink. Do you mean the bar person accidentally gives me a paid for drink for free? Where it this weird 2 drinks free only rule? If it's free it's free. What if I know the bar person well and they just wanna give me a free drink?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I will never not accept free alcohol. But in all likelihood, I would probably just assume that I am being offered an additional free drink and not just jump to "they're making a mistake." In fact I'm pretty sure I've been in similar scenarios before.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If I'm given a free drink on accident I'll just tip the bartender more.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

For sure, I wouldn't think twice.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Nodima

So, as a bartender, one of my biggest pet peeves about the whole understanding of the industry from outsiders on the open bar/drink ticket scenario in general: if I am at a wedding or party or some sort of event where some person or entity is footing the bill, a bill that's at least several hundred dollars if not $1,000, why am I putting the onus on that person to also do the entire tip? You tip a dollar when you get a drink not because you spent $8, but because you got a drink from a bartender rather than your fridge. There's this unwritten rule amongst 90% of the population that you don't tip if you aren't spending money; to me, the tip is entirely related to service, it isn't contingent on first spending money on a good or service.

All this is to say, when I go to an open bar situation, I tend to tip on my first drink what I would reasonably expect to spend on a night out - $20 to $40 - and then I go from there. So I also often run into the situation where I'm getting a third free drink - or several free shots on the side of the drinks I pay for down the road - but there isn't a moral dilemma involved. I've made it known that I understand the scenario and I would like to be a preferred customer during the event, and also that I appreciate your time and your work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would probably take the drink.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By avantegardener

As someone who literally trawling through academic questionnaires and surveys for a college project right now, I think this question needs more clarity.

Is this situation one where the staff member is freely offering you a drink ticket or is he under the impression you have not been given one to begin with, and is offering to buy you one, in both case this individual is a mensch.

The ethical quandary is easily solved as you discussed, by telling him you've had your free two, if he insists on buying you another its up to you to graciously accept or politely refuse.

Edit: I now understand this about American bar staff and the system of tipping, which to be fair I'm sketchy on the details of the custom. If you drink there a lot, probably don't be a dick, if your not regular, you could in theory feign ignorance.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By monkeyking1969

This seems like a ridiculous question. It like asking would I accept a drink another guest offered because they only want to drink one out of their two. In most catering scenarios, there is a buffer of cost because it is assumed some guest will drink one or zero drink or someone will use their tokens for someone else. Giving or someone getting three drinks is meaningless as a moral delema of costs. The delema morally is more likely overindulgence, drunkeness.

@nodima I tip in the case of tokens or cash bar - always . I often tip even when someone else is paying, but arond here the person paying for the bar is EXPECTED to tip the bar on top of any small tip guest might have given ... but yeah people can be twats.

Napstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Napstar

@nodima: I salute all bartenders, but tipping a bartender is not a habit in Europe, in some rare occasions tips are due for waiting staff.

As to the main question if someone offers me a free drink I take it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

Where is the mistake though? If they are offering me a free drink they obviously don't want their second one, who am i to say no? That would just be rude no?

edit: i read it as a staff member on this site lol

Either way I'd take the drink

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@napstar said:

@nodima: I salute all bartenders, but tipping a bartender is not a habit in Europe, in some rare occasions tips are due for waiting staff.

As to the main question if someone offers me a free drink I take it.

Yea, I can't speak to non-American drink ticket situations, though I do read a lot of drinking abroad literature and it seems even the most internationally inclined Americans can't help but leave a hefty tip after a satisfying night at a renowned sauce house.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I tell them I've already had two free ones I was offered and let them decide if they still plan to give this new free one to me or not.

If they still give me the drink for free that's fine, if I can have it but have to pay that's fine too.

In most things in life it's better to be honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would take it, but the question is vague and the answers are too binary with implied thought.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is like those employment quizzes where they ask you like 10 times if you would steal.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

This is like those employment quizzes where they ask you like 10 times if you would steal.

Within cells interlinked.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn right I'm taking that third drink

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm taking the free drink all day long.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I would probably treat it as I would when a waiter brings over the wrong tray or something. "This isn't ours. You got the wrong table."

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once presented a twenty to pay for a drink at a bar, and got handed change for a fifty. Felt guilty about it, and eventually went back to the bar to correct the bartender's mistake. Guess that kinda settles what I'd do in this situation.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'd probably pass, but more so because I tend to stop at two drinks in most situations anyway. I can't speak to the tipping issue because tipping bar staff isn't really a thing over here.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assuming the questions is whether or not you would accept the drink which was meant for another customer? But it would depend on the situation. If it was a mistaken order then they're not going to throw it away and they're giving it to you anyway. If it's just a free drink "on the house" then it's offered anyway. If they came up and asked if I ordered something I would say no.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I wouldn't take the first two drinks if they were alcoholic. If they were sugar, I would turn down a third and ask for water anyway.

krikke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

simple:
first i ask if it was a mistake, since i got my 2 freebies already.
if it's not thanks, if it is: 2 things can happen: i just pay for my drinks as i should (im an honest guy) or they give me the drink for free although it's supposed to be paid for because of my honesty. i've had both happen on multiple occasions :)

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Where is this bar out that's handing out free drinks in threes?

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd take the free drink. Lots of people would.

Even if you tell them "Oh I've had my 2 freebies" they are likely just going to tell you to take it anyways. Is everyone getting the same drink, or are these custom cocktails each time? If they made it FOR you, they're not likely just going to try and hand it to someone else afterwards, because who knows if they want whatever you asked for. If its a bottled beer or generic glass of wine, that's different, they can give those to whoever all day and it's not going to be a big deal.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I don't drink alcohol so I'll never find myself in that position but the poll doesn't have that option so I'm just going to post here instead.

picot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's essential a question of morals isn't it? Ultimately, it's a free drink - some people paid for 2 but only redeemed 1, but they don't get a refund. If you paid for 2 and got offered a third one, I think it's just having the mentality that it's someone else's, who probably left without taking their drink - so why not help them with it?

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ethics go out the window as soon as alcohol is involved. Take the goddamn drink.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! If someone offers me a free drink, I'll take it. Also, outside of abstract moral philosophizing, it's hard to see what harm results from an establishing giving out one free drink too many.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By maxszy

@burncoat said:

If I'm given a free drink on accident I'll just tip the bartender more.

Yep this exactly. I think a lot more context and information needs to be presented with this question if its really about more than just a free drink. A drink on the house is a drink you don't pass up!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mellotronrules

drink the drink and pass the karma on to your waitstaff/bartender.

(that means tip well).

@nodima my man! as a guy who's bartended more weddings and private events than i care to remember- you most certainly get it.

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I separate the actions of the staff member from the actions of the bar. I.E., it's the bar's fault that the staff member wasn't aware that you've already had 2 drinks. Since the bar (a company) has no ethics I have no moral quandary as to whether I should accept the drink or not.

So basically, bottom's up.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

EMPLOYEE FLAGGED

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a person who has been to an event with drink tickets, make friends with a bartender and they will give you free shit. Also, it's not like that bartender is paying for your drinks out of pocket. Whatever shitty bar you're at that's implementing a two-drink limit, probably deserves to have $.50 of whiskey stolen from them.