JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

So I just say Avatar in IMAX 3D Friday, and man, was this great movie. 

This is truly a movie for all the geeks that grew up in the 80's who are now grown up and want more than just an "action" movie.  I will admit, the story is pretty by-the-numbers but the trick is the execution and this film is put together masterfully.   

First of all, you can't talk about this movie without talking about the special effects.  Now, the hype leading up to the movie made one think that the special effects will blow you away and it's stuff "never before seen".  In reality, the special effects are just an evolution of the effects you've seen before, just never this well done.  I think the best compliment I can give to the special effects is that it made you forget that for about 2/3 of the movie, you were watching nothing but a CG animated film.  The backgrounds and scenery is photo real, no it hyper real (because real life does not look this sweet-most of the time).  The characters animate wonderfully, and since the Na'vi are human like, not human thus avoiding the uncanny valley thing that Robert Zemeckis is fighting with in his CG movies.  These animated characters also differ from the Prequel episodes in the fact that they are real characters with emotion that act.  

Another great thing about the special effects is the scale.  There are several HUGE things in this movie and they are a sight to behold.  I love scenes where you see this tiny little dude next to a large set piece, and in this movie, the set piece isn't a mountain, but a giant futuristic bulldozer, or robot, or troop transport.  And unlike the prequel trilogy, everything looks real--and that's an accomplishment. 

Now this movie is in 3D.  When most movies do 3D (Up is an exception), it's usually a spear in your face, or a ball flying towards you.  In this movie, there is very little of that happening.  Here, the 3D is used for depth and it really is stunning.  I hope to see more movie go for this type of 3D than the "gotcha" 3D used in so many of today's films. 

I though the acting was well done (nothing terrible, but nothing great either) and the action was phenomenal, but as District 9 has shown, everything is better with Mechs. 

Now due to the hype of cost of the movie, and how long it took to make, there will plenty of haters.  And of course, this is not a "perfect" movie.  It is a bit long.  The story is a bit cliche, the acting is OK, but really none of that matters.  For a little under 3 hours, you  are transported to a totally different world that looks beautiful.  The story has heart, and there are mechs.

uncanny valley
JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JCGamer

So I just say Avatar in IMAX 3D Friday, and man, was this great movie. 

This is truly a movie for all the geeks that grew up in the 80's who are now grown up and want more than just an "action" movie.  I will admit, the story is pretty by-the-numbers but the trick is the execution and this film is put together masterfully.   

First of all, you can't talk about this movie without talking about the special effects.  Now, the hype leading up to the movie made one think that the special effects will blow you away and it's stuff "never before seen".  In reality, the special effects are just an evolution of the effects you've seen before, just never this well done.  I think the best compliment I can give to the special effects is that it made you forget that for about 2/3 of the movie, you were watching nothing but a CG animated film.  The backgrounds and scenery is photo real, no it hyper real (because real life does not look this sweet-most of the time).  The characters animate wonderfully, and since the Na'vi are human like, not human thus avoiding the uncanny valley thing that Robert Zemeckis is fighting with in his CG movies.  These animated characters also differ from the Prequel episodes in the fact that they are real characters with emotion that act.  

Another great thing about the special effects is the scale.  There are several HUGE things in this movie and they are a sight to behold.  I love scenes where you see this tiny little dude next to a large set piece, and in this movie, the set piece isn't a mountain, but a giant futuristic bulldozer, or robot, or troop transport.  And unlike the prequel trilogy, everything looks real--and that's an accomplishment. 

Now this movie is in 3D.  When most movies do 3D (Up is an exception), it's usually a spear in your face, or a ball flying towards you.  In this movie, there is very little of that happening.  Here, the 3D is used for depth and it really is stunning.  I hope to see more movie go for this type of 3D than the "gotcha" 3D used in so many of today's films. 

I though the acting was well done (nothing terrible, but nothing great either) and the action was phenomenal, but as District 9 has shown, everything is better with Mechs. 

Now due to the hype of cost of the movie, and how long it took to make, there will plenty of haters.  And of course, this is not a "perfect" movie.  It is a bit long.  The story is a bit cliche, the acting is OK, but really none of that matters.  For a little under 3 hours, you  are transported to a totally different world that looks beautiful.  The story has heart, and there are mechs.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RetroIce4

I heard the visuals are amazing, but what is the movie even about? I don't even get it.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai
@RetroIce4 said:
" I heard the visuals are amazing, but what is the movie even about? I don't even get it. "
Humans invade a alien plaent, people living there dont like it. Humans tell them to leave they dont. Stuff happens after that. 

Its a great movie
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

...another pro-liberal movie to push Al Gore's motives forward.  I heard there were a lack of alien boobs, so I'll wait for the BD.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

I loved it, I really like the message the film gives about natures role.  I hope James Cameron releases a Directors Cut when it comes to DVD & Blu Ray. 

@RetroIce4 said:

" I heard the visuals are amazing, but what is the movie even about? I don't even get it. "

Humans invade a beautiful planet and try to drain it of a mineral, which has high monetary value on an Earth which is now dying, dying because it's lost it's "mother" - nature. 
Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine
@KaosAngel: 

I think that's more you putting the movie's message against the politics of the day.  It's environmentalist, sure, but to say it is liberal isn't 100% accurate.  If this movie came out 15 years ago or something, you probably wouldn't think this was a political movie at all.

As for the actual movie, my only problem was when you got the blue alien guys and the humans right next to each other. When they were apart, both of them looked great, but it looked a bit goofy when they stood next to each other.  I almost think District 9 did that part better.  I really liked the rest of the movie, just those few parts seemed not quite right...
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By chstupid
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Bruce

HELLO PEOPLE, George Bush wasn't the first damn person to invade a country for their resources! 

God, people are so stupid. If anything, this is much more similar to Dance with Wolves or something like that, where the Native Americans are the ones being ripped off. Making parallels between Avatar and Iraq is just lazy.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

I loved the movie.  5/5 for me. even better once I see the directors cut with the 20 minutes they cut from the beginning of the movie. Future earth looked incredible in the concept art they released.    

And I don't get this bullshit about the story being weak. Its everything but weak. And the people bitching about it not being original...
I thought the story was completely original despite its obvious similarities to other films in the past.  Nobody bitched about District 9 blatantly ripping off The Fly right? Because it was cool. This movie is similar to Dances with Wolves (which I never actually saw but I know the gist of it) and Ferngully- but Avatar is way better than those two movie.  The way this story plays out is amazing too. See Jake in his avatar in this amazing world running around and doing these wild things, the go to sleep, only to wake up i his human body with his lifeless legs- its just a really emotional thing to take in. You really will care for the characters in the end of the film.  

I loved the characters. And yeah you can say what you want about the acting, I had zero complaints about it though. And shit, I say they give Zoe Saldana an oscar nomination. Ney-tiri had a real soul and I felt very impressed by her throughout the film.   

I also thought the world of Pandora was incredible and it was amazing how well thought out it all was.  
I loved the idea that the world of Pandora was so highly advanced. I think that the planet must have had life much longer than Earth, because it has evolved sooo much. The way the planet is like a completely connected living thing is awesome. I loved how Na'vi and the animals and plants can "mind-meld" with each other like a usb port so-to-speak. Thats really awesome somehow seemed completely possible to me. I know there must be real science to back it up, maybe something some creatures can do in the ocean. And all of the bio-luminescent stuff looked amazing. I thought it would look cartoony and fake but man, especially because of the 3D, it was stunning.  

Lets talk about the hype around this film. Was the 3D and the CGI revolutionary? Is this film a game changer? 
I say YES. The Na'vi were completely life like. I'm not saying the looked 100% real all of the time (sometimes they definitely do) but it was photo-real, meaning completely believable. They moved like they existed in an actual world, not floating and slow like in Robert Zemeckis movies like Polar Express. They are completely "uncanny valley" free as well.  But the real step in CGI was the environments and pretty much everrything surrounding the characters. from the absolutely real looking jungle to the massive mining vehicles to those super awesome mech suits, to the creatures. Its like they really went to this planet and filmed a movie there.   

We're all gamers who stare at cg images all the time. we are the most hard to please for this sort of thing. We look at every little thing and will immediately notice something wrong. You are going to have a hard time doing it here. The way everything moves so realistically is just surreal. For instance, you'll wait to see one of the Na'vi to jump and you will focus on how real the sense of gravity and weight is, and you watch closely as they land and make sure the don't look like they have soft jellow for feet and land softly. the movie constantly will give you a kind of eerie sense,its hard to explain, but i got it most from the facial animations, its so real and life like you're just going to be like...woah.  

on a final note for my wall of text. I nominated Colonel Quaritch as the most BADASS dude ever. Seriously, this guy spits on guys like Mr. T. 
I mean, I almost wanted him to win at times because he was just so damn awesome. He is sitting there directing his fleet to fire missiles while he sips a cup of coffee. and what does he do first when he hops in his amp suit- he starts shadow boxing. lol he is the fucking man!!!!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho
@KaosAngel said:
" ...another pro-liberal movie to push Al Gore's motives forward.  I heard there were a lack of alien boobs, so I'll wait for the BD. "
There's some alien boob. Not nearly enough though. Not nearly. 
Also I don't see what so progressive about a story where a white man swoops in to save the simple natives. Its positively archaic really. 
Nice looking movie, again, but its a cartoon and about as subtle as a jackhammer.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive
@ryanwho said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" ...another pro-liberal movie to push Al Gore's motives forward.  I heard there were a lack of alien boobs, so I'll wait for the BD. "
There's some alien boob. Not nearly enough though. Not nearly. Also I don't see what so progressive about a story where a white man swoops in to save the simple natives. Its positively archaic really. Nice looking movie, again, but its a cartoon and about as subtle as a jackhammer. "
this was not about the white man swooping in to save the natives. you are being incredibly naive and narrow minded to think that.  
Did you really see the movie? If you did then you can't sit here and say that the plot was that fucking simple. As for white man swooping in and saving them...The Na'vi saved themselves. Jake didn't really do a whole lot- the only thing he did was recommend gathering as many clans as possible. And then he gave them much needed advice on how to attack them since he was a force recon marine with advanced warfare knowledge.  The Na'vi fought and died and saved themselves, jake only helped them. 

@chstupid said:

" @Atomic_Tangerine:
The Anti Bush stuff was pretty heavy and why does noone talke about the story  

The visuals were great but that dosn't make up for the rest of it imo. "
i couldn't disagree with you more. did you even see the movie? i don't see how anyone could walk out of that theater and be a pissy about the plot. its like you didn't want to like it, and had all your bad reviews you read on the internet tucked away in the back of your mind the entire time you watched it. just so you can come back to the internet and act like the negative stuff is true. its bullshit.  And the shit about Bush....again, you guys are completely wrong and do not know what you are talking about. This movie is about a corperation using a private military corp. to take care of its dirty business so they can turn a blind eye and go on with taking the resources. Lots of greedy corperations do this all of the time. This movie doesn't have to be compared to any government actions whatsoever. I think Shell Oil (could be wrong google it or something) is one of the companies who instigated locals in a small country in africa and worked with local gang leaders to get people to do what they needed and are the cause of many murders. This is real shit that real companies do every day. I didn't see any anti--bush stuff in this film because the plot of the movie wasn't really like what the Bush Administration did.  
anyways,
explain to me, PLEASE, what SUCKED about the story?
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho
@TwoOneFive said:

" @chstupid said:

" @Atomic_Tangerine:

i couldn't disagree with you more. did you even see the movie? i don't see how anyone could walk out of that theater and be a pissy about the plot. its like you didn't want to like it, and had all your bad reviews you read on the internet tucked away in the back of your mind the entire time you watched it. just so you can come back to the internet and act like the negative stuff is true. its bullshit.  explain to me PLEASE what SUCKED about the story? "
I'll tell you what bothered me. I can't speak for this other guy. My problem was the pacing as it related to the motives of the hero, which I positively didn't understand. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

I felt like the intended message was to preserve nature, but I left thinking the message that came across was each tribe needs to look after itself. I didn't see how the Na'vi were being any different than the humans.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By grilledcheez
@ryanwho said:
" I felt like the intended message was to preserve nature, but I left thinking the message that came across was each tribe needs to look after itself. I didn't see how the Na'vi were being any different than the humans. "
I'm interpreting the story different ways right now in my mind, I think it just depends on the person that saw it.  
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
@GrilledCheez01 said:
" @ryanwho said:
" I felt like the intended message was to preserve nature, but I left thinking the message that came across was each tribe needs to look after itself. I didn't see how the Na'vi were being any different than the humans. "
I'm interpreting the story different ways right now in my mind, I think it just depends on the person that saw it.   "
It just bothered me how this guy seemed to have absolutely no compassion for the race he was a part of for all but 3 months of his life. He just sent them home to die as if every human deserved to die on account of the mercenaries. As if him, Signorny Weaver, and a handful of others already on the planet were the only good people left and everyone on earth could just go to hell on account of the actions of some extra abrasive Marines.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive
@ryanwho said:

" @TwoOneFive said:

" @chstupid said:

" @Atomic_Tangerine:

i couldn't disagree with you more. did you even see the movie? i don't see how anyone could walk out of that theater and be a pissy about the plot. its like you didn't want to like it, and had all your bad reviews you read on the internet tucked away in the back of your mind the entire time you watched it. just so you can come back to the internet and act like the negative stuff is true. its bullshit.  explain to me PLEASE what SUCKED about the story? "
I'll tell you what bothered me. I can't speak for this other guy. My problem was the pacing as it related to the motives of the hero, which I positively didn't understand. 
"

also i don't understand why you disliked the pacing of the film. I thought it was paced incredibly well and I loved how they slowly but methodically made it very aware that jake was becoming more and more sick of his human like- having to be this incredible 10 ft tall being and then waking up in a tube with lifeless legs over and over and then reporting to a colonel about everything he is doing was making him go crazy. You could see what it did to Grace (weavers character). She was a chain smoking bitch, but when she was in her Avatar, she was completely different. Before the movie you couldn't imagine doing what jake does in the end, but as you sit through the whole movie, and see what he goes through day in and day out, you understand exactly why he chose to do what he does. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah I guess. This isn't a story you put under a magnifier. You watch it for the visuals, and the visuals are great, the dialogue is mostly good save for some of the corny gung ho one liners (but it wouldn't be a Cameron movie without that). The overall message just seemed a bit sloppy. The overall concept, though, is easier to swallow if you think of this as a fantasy movie. 

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By chstupid
@TwoOneFive said:
" @chstupid said:
" @Atomic_Tangerine:

Alright I'll tell you. I really wanted to love this movie the fact that almost everyone loved it but me makes me feel like I've done something wrong or something.
It was a pretty good movie but the ZOMG THIS IS THE BESTEST MOVIE EVER has to stop. The story was ripped off Dances with Wolves and other great movies and the parts that were not ripped off were wierd and stupid. 
Don't even get me started with the Mech suit that had a knife  
Also it was way to predictable. Nothing suprised me expect how many terrible one liners and cliches the could fit in to one movie. The visuals were good enogth for some people e nough for some people but I thought it would be more then just that. 

Did you really think this guy was a good guy. I mean look at him he reeks of asshole 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

That dude was way cool. My favorite part of the movie. He seemed to understand what the role called for and went full caricature.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Moeez

Disappointed. The visuals don't make up for the completely predictable plot and characters. I did like the ending, and the connected world stuff. The whole Navi training montages, with good humour. 

District 9 was far better, if we're talking about sci-fi action films.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JCGamer
@TwoOneFive said:

i couldn't disagree with you more. did you even see the movie? i don't see how anyone could walk out of that theater and be a pissy about the plot. its like you didn't want to like it, and had all your bad reviews you read on the internet tucked away in the back of your mind the entire time you watched it. just so you can come back to the internet and act like the negative stuff is true. its bullshit.  And the shit about Bush....again, you guys are completely wrong and do not know what you are talking about. This movie is about a corperation using a private military corp. to take care of its dirty business so they can turn a blind eye and go on with taking the resources. Lots of greedy corperations do this all of the time. This movie doesn't have to be compared to any government actions whatsoever. I think Shell Oil (could be wrong google it or something) is one of the companies who instigated locals in a small country in africa and worked with local gang leaders to get people to do what they needed and are the cause of many murders. This is real shit that real companies do every day. I didn't see any anti--bush stuff in this film because the plot of the movie wasn't really like what the Bush Administration did.  anyways,explain to me, PLEASE, what SUCKED about the story? "

Don't forget that James Cameron made another movie in 1986 (it's Aliens)  that also dealt the a corporation trying to do some shady stuff to get what they want.
DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By DukesT3

I got a pair of tickets for me and my girlfriend to check it out at the IMAX here in houston and I'm pretty excited for it. My girlfriend? Let's just say I probably paid $15 for her to nap.. so I hope the CG is amazing enough for her to keep her eyes open! I just really hope its worth the premium of the IMAX experience. 

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ahriman22

Damn environmentalists are at it again.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Daryl

Movie kinda grows on you after seeing it from boring to kinda alright. But really, it's not as good as it was made out to be. 

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WonderboyCoz
@ryanwho said:
" @TwoOneFive said:

" @chstupid said:

" @Atomic_Tangerine:

"
Yeah, but are you forgetting that the RDA want the rock for its massive monetary value, due to it being so rare, hence unobtainium, not because they need to save humanity, Jake and Grace obviously have some kind of morality and think, "you know what, maybe its wrong to destroy this alien civilisations world for some cash?". It is never indicated that the rock is the last hope for humanities survival, in fact, I think the movie knida indicates that while earth is pretty dead, I think its more like a giant city world without any green, but really with all their technology, they can either survive on earth fairly easily, or just move to another world.
coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By coolarman
@ryanwho said:
" @TwoOneFive said:

" @chstupid said:

" @Atomic_Tangerine:

"
Well the Main character just gets so entranced by the whole culture of these alien people thats why he never brings it up. 

At least thats what i got out of it.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive
@coolarman said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @TwoOneFive said:

" @chstupid said:

" @Atomic_Tangerine:

"
Well the Main character just gets so entranced by the whole culture of these alien people thats why he never brings it up.  At least thats what i got out of it. "
Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Teran
@TwoOneFive:

...anyways,explain to me, PLEASE, what SUCKED about the story? "

I liked the story a lot the first time I saw it... in 1990.  The story didn't suck, what sucks is that a new story wasn't written, basically you got locations renamed and characters reskinned.

It really kind of felt like James Cameron was too concerned that the audience wouldn't "get it" and I really hate it when a movie talks down to its audience.
Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Moeez

You know this is a kid's Disney movie when the rock is called "unobtanium". 

Let's be clear: The film won't be remembered for its story, characters, plot, acting, or drama. It'll be praised for its visuals. And $500 million.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Evilsbane

See it in IMAX or don't see it at all some can disagree but I was glued to that screen for 2 hours and 40 minutes and it just blew my mind how good this looked, I can't wait for games to reach this level of visual fidelity.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By L4wz

I hope it's great because I plan on seeing it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HandsomeDead

@Moeez said:

" You know this is a kid's Disney movie when the rock is called "unobtanium".   Let's be clear: The film won't be remembered for its story, characters, plot, acting, or drama. It'll be praised for its visuals. And $500 million. "

Will you fuck off with trying to be pretentious? It didn't work with your GTA IV blog and it's not working here. You are aware Unobtanium is a real term and considering the bottom of the Periodic Table is full of things like Americanium and Einsteinium, I don't see how Unobtanium is for a 'kid's Disney movie.'
WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WonderboyCoz
@Moeez:  yeah, sorry man but you do realise that unobtainium is an engineering term that has been used since the 1950s for describing an extremely rare or costly material, If a material was found that was as valuable as the mineral in Avatar, I can't think of a better name for it. It tells you that, yeah this is some valuable and hard to find shit and thats why we need to get these blue guys out of here.
SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SuperZamrod

there's a lot of stupid in this thread