Preparing for Record Store Day 2011

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

Edited By SMTDante89

It's almost that time of year again for Record Store Day!

No Caption Provided
I've decided to make a list for people that may have an interest in Record Store Day to help make this wonderful "holiday" run as smoothly as possible.

Find a Participating Store Near You!

That's easy enough, just go here and search your state (if you're in the United States) and here if you're from another country.  And even if your local record store doesn't show up, they may very well still celebrate RSD through various discounts, free schwag, and other ways.

Have a Look at the Special Releases for RSD!

Every year, many bands release exclusive versions of albums for Record Store Day.  Here's a list of all the special releases coming out this year.  However, not every record store will carry every single release, which brings up my next point.

Plan Ahead

There are a few ways to do this.

1.  Look at the Special Releases Above.

Kind of redundant, but take special care to look above and try to find something that may interest you.  These items will likely become very rare collector's items and will be very difficult to find after Record Store Day.

2.  Check Out Your Record Store.

Go in and ask if the employee(s) know what kind of special items they may get in for RSD.  Also ask if they have any special plans for the day, such as discounts and special events (bands playing throughout the day, for example)

3.  Make a List.

With so many things going on, it can be difficult to remember everything you might want to check out while you're at your favorite record store.  Making a list is vitally important, it is very difficult to remember exactly what you want to check out.

4.  Show Up Early.

Like I said above, many of the items for RSD will become rare after the day.  If you know your record store will have an item you really want, show up as early as you can to purchase it.

5.  Plan to Make Return Trips.

Main reason for this is if there's special events happening later in the day.  Last year at my local record store, a local band had a CD release party for their new album and played for a while that evening.  I couldn't go to it last year, but heard it was a blast.

Have Fun!

Seriously, just have as much fun as you can.

If anyone has other possible suggestions, leave them in the comments below.  Let's try to make this the best Record Store Day possible!
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SMTDante89

It's almost that time of year again for Record Store Day!

No Caption Provided
I've decided to make a list for people that may have an interest in Record Store Day to help make this wonderful "holiday" run as smoothly as possible.

Find a Participating Store Near You!

That's easy enough, just go here and search your state (if you're in the United States) and here if you're from another country.  And even if your local record store doesn't show up, they may very well still celebrate RSD through various discounts, free schwag, and other ways.

Have a Look at the Special Releases for RSD!

Every year, many bands release exclusive versions of albums for Record Store Day.  Here's a list of all the special releases coming out this year.  However, not every record store will carry every single release, which brings up my next point.

Plan Ahead

There are a few ways to do this.

1.  Look at the Special Releases Above.

Kind of redundant, but take special care to look above and try to find something that may interest you.  These items will likely become very rare collector's items and will be very difficult to find after Record Store Day.

2.  Check Out Your Record Store.

Go in and ask if the employee(s) know what kind of special items they may get in for RSD.  Also ask if they have any special plans for the day, such as discounts and special events (bands playing throughout the day, for example)

3.  Make a List.

With so many things going on, it can be difficult to remember everything you might want to check out while you're at your favorite record store.  Making a list is vitally important, it is very difficult to remember exactly what you want to check out.

4.  Show Up Early.

Like I said above, many of the items for RSD will become rare after the day.  If you know your record store will have an item you really want, show up as early as you can to purchase it.

5.  Plan to Make Return Trips.

Main reason for this is if there's special events happening later in the day.  Last year at my local record store, a local band had a CD release party for their new album and played for a while that evening.  I couldn't go to it last year, but heard it was a blast.

Have Fun!

Seriously, just have as much fun as you can.

If anyone has other possible suggestions, leave them in the comments below.  Let's try to make this the best Record Store Day possible!
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Unfortunately I live a few hours away from any store that is participating but I'm really excited for the new songs Radiohead is releasing.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Here's a helpful and informative video on Record Store Day!

Josh Homme should be the Ambassador for Record Store Day every year. He's awesome.
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SMTDante89
@natetodamax said:

" Here's a helpful and informative video on Record Store Day!

Josh Homme should be the Ambassador for Record Store Day every year. He's awesome.
"
Hehe, I remember that from last year.  A lot of the videos from last year were funny and got me hyped for Record Store Day (my first, by the way)
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McGhee

Ahh. . . indie record stores, a rare chance to study the wily hipster in his natural habitat as he browses the aisles in his beard, flannel, and quirky glasses.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By beej

Shit, I'm super hyped.

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: Absolutely that's why Dio is participating, because you know, Dio is a super indie band. 
Ozzy Osborn, Peter Bjorn and John, Pearl Jam, Of Montreal, who's heard of any of these bands? Good thing We're not hipsters, amirite guys? 
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee
@beej said:
" Shit, I'm super hyped.

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: Absolutely that's why Dio is participating, because you know, Dio is a super indie band. 
Ozzy Osborn, Peter Bjorn and John, Pearl Jam, Of Montreal, who's heard of any of these bands? Good thing We're not hipsters, amirite guys? 
"
I said "indie record store" because that is what Homme says in the video. I am actually one of those guys with the beard and glasses. It's just a funny thing I notice every time I'm in a record store, that everyone looks like this, including me. No need to be a defensive and angry douche.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By beej
@McGhee_the_Insomniac: Excuse me for presuming that you were engaging in the usual internet tactic of calling everyone you don't like a hipster. That said, no need to call me a douche either, especially given that I'm not angry and it's hard to tell the difference between joking and bitching on the internet. 
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

I wish good bands released stuff for this :(

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By yakov456

So what are my investment costs to get a player and say 10 newely released records?

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By neozeke

Well, time to lose much monies due to the great beasts known as Mastodon and Between the Buried and me. 

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SMTDante89

One other tip I could give is if you're a friend of an employee, you could ask if they may hold onto something for you, but that's kind of a jerk thing to do for others that want things.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SSully

God I hope I nail a copy of the Tron soundtrack, easily one of the coolest Vinyl's I have seen. 

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Hot_Karl

Thanks for this man, this is totally helpful. First time I'll be participating in Record Store Day.

If anyone's in the Los Angeles area, Origami Record Store is having limited edition vinyls & a bunch of performances from (TBA) bands throughout the day. I'm going to check that out & if anyone else is going, hit me up.

@SSully said:
" God I hope I nail a copy of the Tron soundtrack, easily one of the coolest Vinyl's I have seen.  "
I WANT THAT SO BAD
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SSully

Going off Vinces post, Where is everyone participating at? I am from Chicago. I plan to hit up 3 different stores downtown, Daves, Dusty Groove America, and Groovin High Records. 

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SMTDante89

I'm going to be at Cheap Thrills Records in Beckley, West Virginia.  It's the only one that's really close to home for me.

Another tip for those using social media sites like Facebook, see if your local record stores have pages on there.  Then you might be able to get a leg up on other customers if they mention something about Record Store Day on their pages.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By natetodamax

God I love the idea of Record Store Day so much. Unfortunately I can't participate this year. Maybe 2012....

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SMTDante89
@natetodamax said:
" God I love the idea of Record Store Day so much. Unfortunately I can't participate this year. Maybe 2012.... "
It better be the greatest Record Store Day ever, it may be our last.
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SMTDante89

I knew there was one somewhere, here's another map of countries that are not the United States that are participating.  Will also update the original post with this.