What denoted discrimination?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Bombs_Away

In the highly sensitive society we live in, people are always getting upset by something or another. Race and religion are probably the most highly sensitive of all topics.
I'm quite a chilled out guy, with a lot of friends from different cultures. We're a pretty tight knit group, always taking the piss. Being Irish/English they all take the piss out of me saying I'm a pikey terrorist, we joke with the Jewish guys saying that they killed Jesus and they retort by saying we killed his grandfather. We joke with the Muslims in our group, the girls saying that they're ninjas in their Niqab and the guys that they're crazy bombers. And then the black guys cause of their attempts to be 'gangsta'.

However, outside our group, people might see this as discrimination and that we're lacking in respect towards the generations before us. I am severely anti-Israel, but it really pisses me off when I'm called Anti-Semetic. I'm also an Irish republican and pro-Palestine, but does this really mean I'm supporting terrorism?

I want to hear from you guys, what do you think denotes discrimination? 

Note - Yeah typo in the title...Any way to change that?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

Why are you discriminating against me with all your threads?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

You have to be call to do it within your own social group and be aware that outsiders looking in may take it the wrong way. 

I know with my friends who were mainly Italian, Greek and Yugoslav, I would say things like "you're such a wog" and they would reply that I am "such a skip (Skippy the Bush Kangaroo - Anglo Aussie)".  If i said wog loudly to them in the wrong place, I would be just asking for trouble.  Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you should. 

I am also anti-Israel (in their behaviour, not their existence) and that isn't the same as anti-Semetic.  It just gets over used to try and maintain some superiority in an argument about poor behaviour by Israel.  Even many Jews don't like the way Israel (government) acts and they get labelled as self-hating Jews. 

You just can't come on too strong in a forum site like this as you will just end up being banned because it just doesn't crossover in the written form, where people don't know you.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I find Race and Religion are the big topics that can really erupt if treated badly.

And as for joking with friends, i have plenty of friends of different backgrounds and i find that they are very relaxed about jesting about their religion or beliefs. My Muslim friend always screams "ALLLAH!" and pretends to rip open his jacket as if he was a suicide bomber. At the end of the day, we all know he is joking and we all have a good laugh as he is just his fun self. He despises what some of the people of his religion believe in the middle east.

It's hard to show this in public though as people may convey you as being racist, or discriminating others. It's really only something i would joke about with my friends at the time, and not without them. Unfortunately i am not the best with expressing myself with words on the Internet, so i can not fully explain myself.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By davidwitten22

You racist bastard.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By warxsnake

I take it you're new to being human

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Tireyo
@warxsnake said:
" I take it you're new to being human "
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bombs_Away
@warxsnake said:
But you're a veteran asshole, yeah?
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@Bombs_Away: As an Eskimo, I'm pretty damned offended with you calling yourself a chilled out guy.
walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By walreese55

Being anti-israel does not make you anti-semetic, it just makes you against the actions of a secular government. Israel is a democracy, so religion should play no part in their government's decisions. Emphasis on should.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warxsnake
@Bombs_Away said:
" @warxsnake said:
But you're a veteran asshole, yeah? "
If you had an ounce of intelligence, you'd know that I wasn't insulting you but making a commentary on human nature... too late I guess.
jewishsanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jewishsanchez

this is a site about video games. not racism.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bombs_Away
@jewishsanchez said:
"

"
So in an Off-Topic Forum, we're still meant to talk only about video games? If so, post what you just said in every other topic on this thread, cause none of them are about video games.

@warxsnake said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
" @warxsnake said:
If you had an ounce of intelligence, you'd know that I wasn't insulting you but making a commentary on human nature... too late I guess. "

And yeah you were trying to insult me, by claiming that I didn't know about human nature. Instead of just discussing the topic you had to be a dick about it, well done.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
@jewishsanchez said:
" FUCK YOU NIGGA "
I suggest your time here may be short.  Stop now before it is too late.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@Bombs_Away said:  
@warxsnake said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
" @warxsnake said:
If you had an ounce of intelligence, you'd know that I wasn't insulting you but making a commentary on human nature... too late I guess. "
And yeah you were trying to insult me, by claiming that I didn't know about human nature. Instead of just discussing the topic you had to be a dick about it, well done. "
Facetious

Oh, the internet.  How you consistently fail to get across the most basic inflection of tone.

Except for the second part.  War was kind of a dick there.

Why am I bothering with this, anyways?  Bombs has consistently been an unprovoked asshole.  Who am I talking to?
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bombs_Away
@oldschool said:
" @jewishsanchez said:
" FUCK YOU NIGGA "
I suggest your time here may be short.  Stop now before it is too late. "
Yeah and I just got a PM saying "f u". Unfortunately I can't flag him for some reason.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Coombs

Stop it,   Just  Stop it.

How have you not been banned yet?

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warxsnake
@Bombs_Away said:
" @jewishsanchez said:
"

"
So in an Off-Topic Forum, we're still meant to talk only about video games? If so, post what you just said in every other topic on this thread, cause none of them are about video games.

@warxsnake said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
" @warxsnake said:
And yeah you were trying to insult me, by claiming that I didn't know about human nature. Instead of just discussing the topic you had to be a dick about it, well done. "
You want me to talk about the topic? Sure, I've lived in Lebanon 10 yrs of my life under constant Israeli bombardment and having my family directly affected by it (mother and brother evacuated in 2006 when they bombed the airport and all ways out of the country). And after all that I still don't hate Israelis, or Jewish people in general; because they are just that, people, not the fucking government or military, and they are not responsible for any of that. I have plenty of Jewish friends here in montreal. 

And people who hate others for no real reason piss me off. 
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bombs_Away
@HaltIamReptar: Not really adding anything helpful are you?

@Coombs: And is that aimed at me or jewishsanchez?
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Coombs
@Bombs_Away said:
" @HaltIamReptar: Not really adding anything helpful are you?
Did you?

@Bombs_Away said:  
@Coombs: And is that aimed at me or jewishsanchez? "
I really hope one of the mods helps you figure this one out.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@Bombs_Away: Other than trying to clarify the context with asking you if you were new to humanity?  No.  I suppose not.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By TheHT

discrimination in the sense you're asking is really only annoying/offensive when someone is serious about those stupid stereotypes.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
@Bombs_Away said:
" @oldschool said:
" @jewishsanchez said:
" FUCK YOU NIGGA "
I suggest your time here may be short.  Stop now before it is too late. "
Yeah and I just got a PM saying "f u". Unfortunately I can't flag him for some reason. "
Fixed and done. 

People here are right about you though.  You come across as way too aggressive.  You say you are a chilled guy, but it isn't reflected in your posting habits.  You seem like you could be a likeable guy, but the view is very hazy from where I sit (and type).  Just saying.  Try not reacting so aggressively and don't assume every reply is an insult.
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By calidan777

Until we make first contact with beings from another world, I refuse to use or acknowledge the terms "racist/racism".

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By immike
@Bombs_Away: Eh, this topic is getting a little out of hand. My opinion on the matter is that if it is in your own social group, try your best to keep it there. I'm surprised you can even stay stuff like that around your friends. It's always going to be offensive, it's just up to you and your friends to take it however you choose.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@calidan777 said:
" Until we make first contact with beings from another world, I refuse to use or acknowledge the terms "racist/racism". "
I suggest you make a new word for alien speciesm first.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bombs_Away

Yeah the mods should lock this now. I thought it might lead to some discussion but obviously not. 

@HaltIamReptar:@Coombs: And to you two, acting with the way you have in this topic has shown you both to be hypocritical. Don't judge someone in a negative way and then act that way too.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By Termite

Some people's write very differently from how they speak. The OP comes across as a thoroughly unpleasant, and certainly not chilled-out guy by the way he writes. 

As for the question, it's fine if you're among friends, but you can't expect to say racist things in public and not offend others. That's the way things are, and it's the way things should be. 

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@Bombs_Away: I don't.  What.  OK.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers