Is Overwatch over-hyped?

• 99 results
ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I had 0 expectations and a blast playing it. I think Blizzard is just exceptional at making games. But they don't make "new games". They take known concepts and make them in a way that its interseting enough for engaged players and easy to pick up for everyone.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I say this as someone who enjoyed the beta, but I would say it definitely is. I think some people think this is the next coming or something. It's a real fun game, but let's settle down a little.

Assirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@chaser324: I think you're vastly underestimating how repetitive a multiplayer only game can get after hour 10. Since you mention Titanfall, just look what happened to it: There was so much hype around it, and the launch was fantastic, but then what? It just fell into the abyss. There was its horde mode update, and then nothing.

That's the biggest downside with Overwatch, I feel. It's fun and all that, but it's just going to get way more repetitive quicker than most, and I'm willing to bet the maps will just get funneled down into "Here's the route you take for your character or else you're doing it wrong" levels of competitiveness. There's no player-created content, no alternate weapons, and like every team based anything, your enjoyment is going to be more reliant on the people you're playing with than the game itself. But hey, at least there'll be microtransactions for some retail therapy, right?

I, for one, do not want to hedge my $40 bet on either A) Keeping my friends playing, or 2) hoping I get matched with people who are decent in both skill and manners.

You miss a very vital point. There have been people playing the beta for months and still gushing over it. Most of the hype actually comes form those people before Blizzard started with the cinematics and such. Everyone that has a clue and played the Titanfall beta saw it was doomed to fail. Very limited modes, no variation, locked skills behind a progression system, the smart pistol.