Are you guys buying disc or digital?

• 168 results
deadshot_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I do both but like 85% disk. I get discs mainly so that when the generation is over, I can sell everything.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I do both but like 85% disk. I get discs mainly so that when the generation is over, I can sell everything.

I've assumed that the PS4 handles download games the same way as the Xbox One, in that any game bought on the system can be accessed by whoever you decide to sell the system to in the future.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@raven_sword:

Digital all the way on the PS4 and the XB1. I've even started going digital only on the Wii U.

inki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like physical media for the simple fact, I like to resell my games. Once I've beaten something I have a difficult time replaying through it so I figure why not use that game to help pay for my next one.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a PS4 so far. Going disc-based for everything that is not multiplayer-centric. I bought Destiny digitally. I probably should have gotten it as a disc, too...

I normally only buy games digitally on PC.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

100% discs. No way I'd ever go digital on console. At least PC has GOG and other DRM-free options.

Avatar image for midnightgreen20
midnightgreen20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I go disc with something like fighting games to ensure the game runs without any inherent lag because downloadable versions might do that. Other than that, I'd get disc if I really dig the case and disc. I would buy them for a book inside, but nowadays they have absolutely nothing. If not, I go digital. Saves the hassle of going to a store and being given shit for not pre-ordering the game.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I go disc with something like fighting games to ensure the game runs without any inherent lag because downloadable versions might do that.

Both the PS4 and One install the complete game to the harddrive so there's no functional difference between a downloaded copy and a store purchased disc except that you need to have the disc in to start the game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Discs have a resale value and can also be picked up considerably cheaper used. I'm not paying £45 - £55 for new releases.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I do not own a PlayStation 4.

I "own" 14 PlayStation 4 digital games.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I go disc with something like fighting games to ensure the game runs without any inherent lag because downloadable versions might do that.

I don't... Uh... So... Running a game off a disc is slower than off your hard drive. The downloaded versions should perform better - data rates from a disc are hella slow compared to a hard drive.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By DonMFJohnson

Going digital from the US store, physical copies cost way more atleast here in Finland.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

About 95% digital for me. Living in The Bahamas, I don't have a ton of options for buying games locally. It used to be notoriously bad with new games costing upwards of $100, but recently some stores have been more reasonable with pricing and availability. At this point though if I'm buying the regular edition of a game I don't see why I would pay $65-75 in a local store vs just paying $60 to get it digitally. For limited/collector's editions (which I rarely buy these days), I'll order from Amazon and have a freight forwarder bring it in, but that does mean I'll spend about $9 shipping plus 10% duty.

Reddonkeyham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gone all digital here in the UK, only disc I own is for Fifa 14. Think all yearly games ill be getting on disc. Consoles now full, so looks like Ill have to invest in a hard drive once I can afford.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sticking with disks until the digital price AT LEAST matches the disk price. It's crazy that PSN games cost £59 where the disk on Amazon costs £35-40.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Unless it's on sale for ten dollars on PSN (injustice) going discs. Don't have a bandwidth cap, but would rather install them than download them.

ZokuGojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital. Between Plus and Gold, I'm being loaded down with digital games, anyway, so why fight it by keeping a bunch of discs around? Sure, you can pick up used games at retail on the cheap, but it's not like I'm short on stuff to play as it is, and I can clean up now and then during sales in the online stores.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Robo

I usually do physical but I decided to do digital for Diablo 3: UEE. I slowly came to regret it for a number of reasons.

For one thing, I didn't really do the math on how much space it takes up. 29 GB. Of the 500GB my PS4 came with. Diablo is a relatively small game. It's short, partially randomly generated, and has lot of reused textures, sounds, and models that aren't exactly super high res. The size is extra ridiculous considering it's only around 15GB on PC. I realize there's probably some weird lack of compression and the fact that the PC version might even offload some of that size to online assets somehow but come on. Almost double the size?

I can only imagine what bigger games will be on the PS4 in the future. If they average around 50GB, you're looking at 10 games (and nothing else) before it's HDD upgrade time or you start deleting titles that very well may not be downloadable in the future.

Which brings me to the next concern: What happens when you can't download these games again down the line in the event you need to? I guess you'll still be able to go out and buy a physical copy somewhere in the case of Diablo, but if you're trying to plead a case for an all digital future, that's the biggest barrier for me.

Lastly, after playing D3 again for a while I couldn't help but to start thinking, "You know what, I could just go back to playing this on PC." The direct control couch play aspect is cool and all, but the friends I was supposed to play with are hardly ever on, the game is behind on updates (and Blizz is being cagey about future support, questionably griping about console update woes), and I already have all these characters back on PC I could just progress with instead.

At that point, normally I'd start looking at trade in values or maybe asking friends if they want to buy my copy. But nah. It's digital. That's just $70 I'll never get back because I thought I'd be more into this console version.

'Caveat emptor,' I suppose.

And I will beware. Because I don't think I'll be buying any more digital games.

mrlemonface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to go disc but if a game is cheaper digitally or I can get it a few days earlier on the US store for around the same price I'll go digital.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Stete

I would love to buy digital exclusively but I doubt I ever will on a console because of horsehit such as this:

No Caption Provided

misfittoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've gone all in digital on both the PS4 and Xbox One. I still periodically go back to the 360 and it really sets in how glad I am I made the switch because I don't like having to swap discs out. It can seem petty up front but once you've built an all digital library there is no going back.

I've had no problems with downloads on either console - they're pretty fast and the install is actually a little faster than a disc will be. And with both consoles offering pre-orders you'll be able to have your game downloaded and installed before the release date so you can play right at midnight if you want.

I also like browsing the online stores and if you do pre-order you get the same general pre-order bonuses as a retail outlet. There are some exceptions like Gamestop but even they are starting to offer pre-order digital games (it's basically a code they email you the day of release). Aside from PSN gift cards this is an easy way for friends and family to get you games digitally too now as gifts.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games have to install anyway and playstation has been good at preloading games. I think I'm gonna try for all digital