Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

*UPDATE* 11/17/14 PS4 Controller cheap my 6th! broken R2!

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frankiebeanz

I Googled it to see if anybody had the same issue and it turns out its a wide spread problem. First one broke playing the Destiny beta and now this one same issue its the small piece of cheap plastic hooked around holding the trigger in on the inside that broke.

**UPDATE** Now 3 broken triggers

No Caption Provided

**UPDATE** 10/29/14 Now 4 broken triggers and squidgrip 15 bucks down the drain.

No Caption Provided

**UPDATE** 11/10/14 Now 5 broken triggers!

No Caption Provided

**UPDATE** 11/17/14 Now 6 broken triggers! pictures soon just broke.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Send it in to Sony and they'll fix it for free.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Are you slamming your controllers while playing these games?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you break a trigger?

I have an issue with R1 sticking a lot. Getting to the point where I might open it up to see whats causing it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: Are you playing games with jam on your fingers?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Jam, no don't be silly. Its Peanut butter.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sterling

And oddly enough I just figured out why it happens. Its how I press it in. Playing with the controller in my hand while not playing a game just now. It happens when I hold it a certain way. After playing for a period of time. It only sticks when you press in the right side of the button. Pressing in on the left or middle it does not. I have four DS4s. All four do this.

So topic hijack over. Sorry.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: .....why do you have 4 DS4s? That seems....over excessive

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Yep, i've broken the R2 trigger on a few controllers now. Its getting irritating replacing these things. I'm not slamming them dropping them or abusing them. Just normal play.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: .....why do you have 4 DS4s? That seems....over excessive

How is that over excessive? Its to play local three or four player games.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: yea its nonsense but i just called they will send me a replacement but i need to send it it so now I cant play destiny for like 2 god dam weeks

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yep, i've broken the R2 trigger on a few controllers now. Its getting irritating replacing these things. I'm not slamming them dropping them or abusing them. Just normal play.

Well that's worrisome for when Bloodborne releases for me. I'll have to stock up :p.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@frankiebeanz: That sucks but it's not just cheap build quality. it's a defective model, every production line has them. Sorry you happened to land two defects, but you're getting a free replacement. It's unfortunate but it happens.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frankiebeanz

@the_nubster: no its faulty design its a wide spread problem google it and it has happen to multiple people multiple times.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By The_Nubster

@frankiebeanz: It's called a vocal minority. Mine has never broken, and other people have had working models since day 1, just like me. Of course they don't make a post every single time their controller works without fault, because that's the expected function. Like I said, every production line has faulty products here and there; the problem is not inherent to the design of the controller.

Here's an article about Xbox One controller issues "plaguing" gamers, but obviously those controllers are not suffering from a particularly high failure rate. Same goes for the PS4 controllers. Yes, there are occasional issues such as the triggers breaking or the grip pads peeling off, but that's a relatively small number of cases when you take into account that there are several million DS4 controllers out there.

Every problem has always happened to everyone at least once on the internet. Just because you can Google it and there are results, doesn't mean it's that big of an issue. Again, sucks that it's happened to you twice, but the issue is not controller design.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My L2 is squeaky on one of mine, it bugs me :(

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The material on my left analog stick is starting to wear a bit, but outside of that everything is golden.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got a new controller, and it's better than the DS4 that came with my PS4 ever was (even when new). I was having trouble figuring out why anyone would like using it. The one included with my PS4 was straight up broken from the start (nevermind the sticks wearing down after 3 months). The new controller has the same model number and all, but is many times better than the piece of shit original controller. The difference is big enough that I'm trashing the old one and not even using it as a backup.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frankiebeanz

@the_nubster: it is the design I opened the junk up and the same piece that broke on both controllers its a small cheap piece of plastic and also when I called the person I talked to knew it was the r2 button because it happens often I didnt even need to tell him the button. I know what I'm saying I have physical prof and it happen to a friend of mine playing destiny he told me it happen to him after I brought it up. there are multiple threads with over 200 comments about it on the playstation site its cheap and not well made plain and simple. and I cant give 2 shyts about xbox so dont know why you felt the need to even bring that up trying to make this fanboy nonsense. its pissing me off that youre going to try and tell me some nonsense when the same exact shyt happen to me 2 times and yes to top it off the sticks are cheap as shyt also wearing out.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I have two controllers and they're both fine. Dunno what you're doing to them.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince: google it lots of videos on youtube and discussions all over the internet its not me its the cheap ass controller see for yourself the same part breaking on everybody's controller same button because its highly used.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had any issues with either of my controllers triggers or 1 buttons. God damn Olli Olli partially shredded one of my left thumbsticks though.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By probablytuna

No problem with mine either, works great.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think searching for an error on the internet and finding others who had the same issues. means its a widespread problem. I mean their arent going to find a "my ps4 controller works fine" thread. its confirmation bias.

in saying that it sucks to hear. ill keep an eye on mine. had them for a week only so..

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I Googled it to see if anybody had the same issue and it turns out its a wide spread problem. First one broke playing the Destiny beta and now this one same issue its the small piece of cheap plastic hooked around holding the trigger in on the inside that broke.

I'm on my 3rd DS4 since launch, but that's my fault. I play a lot of CoD and I'm always a bit 'excitable' when playing shooters.

...Well, he went down to dinner in his Sunday best
    Excitable boy, they all said
    And he rubbed the pot roast all over his chest
    Excitable boy, they all said
    Well, he's just an excitable boy.

Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy Lyrics | MetroLyrics

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frankiebeanz

@monkeyking1969: its not your fault the trigger should not break end of story its a cheap piece of shit. ps3 xbox one don't break so why is it ok for it to happen to ps4??? the shit was designed wrong and the piece that breaks is not strong enough to withstand constant use.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By frankiebeanz

Broke again

No Caption Provided

mr2real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mr2real

I've went through about 7 R2 triggers. You can buy two new R2 triggers on eBay for $5.50 with free shipping. I usually keep a couple on hand. I wish someone would make a mold a cast them out of aluminum. I'd pay $15 for an aluminum R2.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By agentboolen

@frankiebeanz: is that just a piece that keeps breaking off on the L2 & R2 trigger? Can you still use the trigger after this piece breaks or is it totally not able to be used during gaming?

Reason I ask is because I'm not 100% sure what is left when it's broken and I can't exactly tell in your pics.

Also what's the tape suppose to be doing in the 1 pic?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I haven't had any triggers break fortunately, but both of the joystick grips have worn away considerably. I'll probably look into getting another one soon.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Legion_

@demoskinos: yea its nonsense but i just called they will send me a replacement but i need to send it it so now I cant play destiny for like 2 god dam weeks

A blessing in disguise.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 completely broken triggers is nuts man. I've returned 3 so far but nothing was actually broken, I was just kind of abusing the EB Games return policy. The first 2 had squeaky triggers and I just returned them right before my 30 day warranty was up cause it was moderately annoying and I figured I may as well return it just in case that is a precursor to the trigger breaking. The 3rd time I returned it cause the blue controller just came out and I felt like having two different looking controllers.

LemonJoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had one R2 trigger break exactly the same way. It had started to become somewhat loose over the year since launch. Then shortly after the Destiny release it started to stick such that it was unusable. I bought a new one, and now the R2 is starting to get lopsided/loose on that one as well after only a month or so. Sony needs to redesign the DS4 to make the triggers more durable. This is an obvious design flaw that Sony needs to correct sooner rather than later.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lemonjoose: that's exactly when mine fist broke when i started to actually use my ps4 I was playing the destiny.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to play devil's advocate for a second.

I could understand 1 or 2 controllers breaking to be completely down to the design, but at some point you might also want to look at how you are handling the controllers and if you yourself can help mitigate the issue, just in how you use them.

It reminds me of when I first started drumming. I broke every drumstick I got my hands on, for about 6 months. "Fuck these cheap skinny sticks!", I said. I bought the thickest ones I could find, but I still either snapped them in two or whittled them down to nothing in a week or so (not only that, but I also started increasing the wear on my cymbals and broke a couple of them). At some point I realized that my heavy-handed playing played a big role, and started really focusing on how I played and adding finesse and a lighter touch to my technique. I not only stopped breaking sticks, I also became a faster, more precise, and overall better drummer.

There is a design flaw in the controllers, that is clear. They break too easily. However, being mindful of using a lighter touch might not only save you the time and trouble of these broken controllers, but also help you get even better at playing video games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

My trigger's started to make some squeaky noises a couple months ago. I haven't used the controller a lot since then, but I'm definitely worried that it might brake. Would be my first broken controller since the PS2 days.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How hard are you pulling on the triggers? Or are you throwing them and breaking them?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@isomeri said:

My trigger's started to make some squeaky noises a couple months ago. I haven't used the controller a lot since then, but I'm definitely worried that it might brake. Would be my first broken controller since the PS2 days.

I have this issue with mine too. I bought my PS4 back in April, I hadn't used it much and picked it up once The Last of Us Remastered came out. Immediately, I noticed the squeaky triggers. I heard if you loosen the screws behind them, it makes it better. I haven't tried it myself though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now playing with an xbone i kinda wish i could graft those triggers onto the ds4. They're pretty nice, yo.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man what are you guys doing to your controllers? I have thrown my DS4 in a backpack with heavy textbooks multiple times and it has never broken on me. I hope you get you're problem resolved though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm just going to play devil's advocate for a second.

I could understand 1 or 2 controllers breaking to be completely down to the design, but at some point you might also want to look at how you are handling the controllers and if you yourself can help mitigate the issue, just in how you use them.

It reminds me of when I first started drumming. I broke every drumstick I got my hands on, for about 6 months. "Fuck these cheap skinny sticks!", I said. I bought the thickest ones I could find, but I still either snapped them in two or whittled them down to nothing in a week or so (not only that, but I also started increasing the wear on my cymbals and broke a couple of them). At some point I realized that my heavy-handed playing played a big role, and started really focusing on how I played and adding finesse and a lighter touch to my technique. I not only stopped breaking sticks, I also became a faster, more precise, and overall better drummer.

There is a design flaw in the controllers, that is clear. They break too easily. However, being mindful of using a lighter touch might not only save you the time and trouble of these broken controllers, but also help you get even better at playing video games.

The fact that it breaks at the same joint every time makes me think he's not applying uniform pressure to the trigger (i.e. he's only pressing on the edge of the trigger at an angle) or something.

I'm not saying Sony's free of blame, but after five controllers, it's time to start looking for other answers.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

My cousin has 2 controllers and I have one. We've had them all since launch day, and they are perfectly fine. Seems crazy that you are so having such horrible luck with the controllers.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

What the heck are you doing to them? There's no way you can break so many with 'normal' use! My packed-in DS4 is still fine and dandy.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#44  Edited By Soap

@yodasdarkside said:

What the heck are you doing to them? There's no way you can break so many with 'normal' use! My packed-in DS4 is still fine and dandy.

Agreed, I'm still using my launch day pad 2-8 hours a day with no issue. Maybe be a bit gentler on your controllers. Remember after all, hitting R2 harder won't make the bullets do any more damage! ;)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Looking at my DS4 now I can see how fingers at the edge of the extra lip pulling down particularly hard could give you enough leverage to snap the button. That sad, I can also see myself never having that problem.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Original_Hank

I'm sorry but this is kind of hilarious, a row of r2 triggers like little tombstones. I have never seen such bad luck with controllers before. keep going!

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What in the world are you doing with these controllers to break so many R2 buttons? Keep in mind that you do not need to slam the trigger down with every ounce of strength in your finger to get it to register.
    My gripes with the PS4 controller are with the rubber on the thumbsticks deteriorating too quickly, and the Options button sticking.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I've only had issues with my 'share' button sticking. Other than that its been fine. I always buy replacement thumb stick stuff so I don't know about how those would be normally.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Dude, how the fuck are you using your controllers? Do you play with your teeth, or just use your DS4 as a doorstop when you're not playing?

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JRM

Gotta agree with the sentiment that maybe you're just mangling the shit out of your controllers. I've logged a lot of hours on my ds4 and haven't had an issues other than some thumb stick wear and I by no means have a light touch when using the triggers.

5 controllers is insane dude, I can't imagine the fault lies entirely with the design.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.