• 51 results
Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Andheez

Well, I guess the TOS just confirmed what I think everyone suspected.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/ps4-may-monitor-communications-192317278.html

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dammit! Now I can't keep selling meth making secrets to the Russians while I no-scope anymore!!!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

So they are nice enough to tell you they are doing it instead of just doing it and not telling?

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Too bad, I conduct all my drug dealing and murder planning via PSN messages. Guess I'll have to rethink things.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Send you Psn messages backwards to combat this "repmac a ruoy"

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yinstarrunner

Isn't this pretty much standard policy for.... pretty much everything now? I'm pretty sure there are just legal reasons for them to have this stipulation beyond them being evil.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be a problem. I tend to talk about very serious and private conversations over PSN... I might need to start coding my messages... that or use a different method of talking about private matters with friends/family.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SomeJerk

Isn't this pretty much standard policy for.... pretty much everything now? I'm pretty sure there are just legal reasons for them to have this stipulation beyond them being evil.

Ayup.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I don't really have any secrets anyway. Maybe my name and address? Not like Sony doesn't already have that.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

yeah but a lot of people were shitting on microsoft for doing this (in which the assumption is that Sony wouldn't, obviously).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

isn't all of your communication already being monitored?

<_<

>_>

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I might raise an eyebrow at this if the NSA weren't already pretty much taking a peek and everything on the internet anyways.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before someone melt down about why no one is raging at sony for this, this is what AIM, MSN, trillion, phone messaging and even phone calls you make to your local ISP/businesses/customer services/tech support does. They tell you "your call maybe monitored to ensured quality service" or w/e, it is very different from having a (before 180) mandatory camera capable of reading your expressions, monitor your heart rate, (before 180) is always on and (before 180) connected to a device that is always connected to the internet.

Big difference here, not saying this practice is great by any means, this is still a practice I do not agree with but there is a difference between telling me all my text will be kept on record when I use this service and telling me you are going to install a camera in my living room that's always on, can do all kind of creepy night vision shit but don't worry it wont do anything.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Has anyone said "fuck the NSA" yet? Nope?

Fuck the NSA.

I know you're reading this motherfucker.

I hardly ever send messages over PSN.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By afabs515

Take a cryptology course. Learn how to code all your messages. Make sure you and your friends all know the system. If we all work together, we can beat the NSA! They'll never be able to figure out what I'm calling the dude on the other end of the PlayStation Network! Also, make sure that you and your friends speak in code too.

7 15 15 4 12 21 3 11

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Bribo

@funkasaurasrex said:

Has anyone said "fuck the NSA" yet? Nope?

Fuck the NSA.

I know you're reading this motherfucker.

I work for the NSA and thanks to your flippant remark I now have to spend the next six weeks sitting in this van parked across the street from you.

I hope you're happy now.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before someone melt down about why no one is raging at sony for this, this is what AIM, MSN, trillion, phone messaging and even phone calls you make to your local ISP/businesses/customer services/tech support does. They tell you "your call maybe monitored to ensured quality service" or w/e, it is very different from having a (before 180) mandatory camera capable of reading your expressions, monitor your heart rate, (before 180) is always on and (before 180) connected to a device that is always connected to the internet.

Big difference here, not saying this practice is great by any means, this is still a practice I do not agree with but there is a difference between telling me all my text will be kept on record when I use this service and telling me you are going to install a camera in my living room that's always on, can do all kind of creepy night vision shit but don't worry it wont do anything.

OhMan, are people really still spreading lies about the Kinect? Duder, I don't know where you heard that the Kinect is some evil baby snatching, snatch watching monster, but it never was. Sure, it was going to be always on. But not always transmitting to some evil laboratory. In fact, it was never really sending any data except when clearly there was no other option, like uploading videos. The Kinect is not a spy program created by MS to control you. It's a camera like any other camera and was only going to always be on because it's a major push for the platform and they want to make sure people use it and see how awesome it is (or how not awesome it is, but that's probably not the position they are taking on the matter).

Lets not grossly take things out of context or suggest things that are blatantly untrue. I don't know if you are just misinformed or one of those people who can't help but insult one MS product or another in every post, but the Kinect was never what you are implying it was, and certainly isn't now.

All that said, I'm pretty sure this is just them saying "we will probably observe you if someone reports you, so don't get pissy about privacy when we have record of you being a horrible racist." I'm not concerned. I don't do my banking over PSN so whatevs.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest update to the next-gen console’s software usage terms includes the disclosure that the company may monitor and record the content of voice and text communication over the PlayStation Network.

This is the big difference between their ToS and the potential abuses of the Kinect. Sony is specifically allowing themselves access to your messages/gameplay/etc. through their services. MS was never specific that their info gathering was limited to when you were explicitly using their device, so it was conceivable that they'd use it to monitor what you're watching on TV, etc.

This actually seems like they're specifically making legal room for themselves to weed out people who are sending horrible messages and cheating in games. a.k.a., the times we'd want them to monitor communications.

Or they're the Japanese reptilian shape-shifting Illuminati.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jarmahead: I have never said anything about kinect being evil or even sending data. Not a word. I explained why people were pissed at Microsoft for the whole kinect/always online/NSA thing and not at this. Microsoft is probably not going to collect any information or anything without consent but if my friends wanted me to hook up a kinect to my laptop and leave it on, all the while telling me "nah man its not gonna do anything". Being a logical human being, I have to ask "Then why the fuck you do want me to leave it on?" and that's if my friend told me to do it. When Microsoft drop the requirement for the kinect to be connected the rage was gone, people don't give a shit even if microsoft fully intend to monitor everything, as long as they can just unhook it.

And no sir all the information that I type on what kinect can do is accurate, I never even imply that it will do those things but that it can and (before 180) was going to always be on and that's why people rage at it. And for your last question, no sir, I am a pc gamer first and foremost.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By connerthekewlkid

Don't worry guys if the Freemasons dig anything up on any of you ill be sure to tell you.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Huge lol at the original post.

Yeah man we all been just dreading this for weeks now.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe im just too blinded by sony's messaging, but im actually still willing to trust them watch me play games and chat with folks about stupid shit :P

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I love how complacent people are with this.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AngriGhandi

I suppose the thing that makes this seem less gross is that it's all within Sony's closed system, and confidentiality was never part of the pitch to begin with?

Or maybe it's because we've realized we have a much bigger problem right now as far as information privacy is concerned. Like, a total, all-encompassing problem.

It's probably that one.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess they'll hear my "ooooos" and "aaaaaaahs" as I play online basketball with folks.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nags

@jarmahead: Thanks for your spin. I'll make sure to ignore all comments by you in the future.

@shinjin977:

+1 for truth.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to think that the reason why people aren't totally pissed off at Sony so far is because Sony at least gives solid answers to concerns like this recent privacy ToS thing. MS on the other hand has given dodged questions and contradictory answers for the longest time, which only really served to frustrate people.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

yeah but a lot of people were shitting on microsoft for doing this (in which the assumption is that Sony wouldn't, obviously).

Yeah, this just shows the amount of Sony fanboyism on this site. Their precious Sony can do no wrong in their eyes.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#33  Edited By Slag

+1

you nailed it

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@andheez: moved to PS4 forum- please review this thread before posting any new topics, thanks.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah yes. Sony does something that Microsoft would get shit on for and everybody just defends them and gives excuses.

Disclaimer: I don't care about this.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

@animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

Yeah, this just shows the amount of Sony fanboyism on this site. Their precious Sony can do no wrong in their eyes.

Or maybe some of us are rational and can tell the difference between... two different things? Just like I calmly explained above in this very thread.

I'm a fanboy, of logic.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad, I conduct all my drug dealing and murder planning via PSN messages. Guess I'll have to rethink things.

id like to buy some murder drugs do you know the name of any one who has murder drugs for me to buy?

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By firecracker22

There goes my up and coming meth business.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is very normal...

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, yeah.

But if you're a young go-getter, hustling on the streets of the Playstation Network...it hampers your enterprising endeavors. It's like they don't want a young money maker to keep his hustle and flow.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:

Take a cryptology course. Learn how to code all your messages. Make sure you and your friends all know the system. If we all work together, we can beat the NSA! They'll never be able to figure out what I'm calling the dude on the other end of the PlayStation Network! Also, make sure that you and your friends speak in code too.

7 15 15 4 12 20 3 11

8 1 22 5 2 1 20 13 1 14

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason why this is normal is that our society has simply become too lazy when it comes to standing against it. Instead, we post special avatars on social media sites, or sign internet petitions and wrap ourselves in a false sense of security while our rights are slowly being signed away.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:

7 15 15 4 12 20 3 11

8 1 22 5 2 1 20 13 1 14

20 = 21

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@missacre said:

@animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

Or maybe some of us are rational and can tell the difference between... two different things? Just like I calmly explained above in this very thread.

I'm a fanboy, of logic.

So, what's the big difference between Sony doing it and Microsoft doing it?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@missacre said:

@joshwent said:

@missacre said:

@animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

I'm a fanboy, of logic.

The camera is obviously spying on you, I mean logically speaking, like all laptop cameras.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Missacre
@humanity said:

@missacre said:

@joshwent said:

@missacre said:

@animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

I'm a fanboy, of logic.

The camera is obviously spying on you, I mean logically speaking, like all laptop cameras.

Good thing I don't own a laptop, then.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By Humanity

@missacre said:
@humanity said:

@missacre said:

@joshwent said:

@missacre said:

@animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

I'm a fanboy, of logic.

Do you own a phone, with a camera? Well enjoy being spied on every time you use it to text, I mean how do you know that thing isn't on and recording for Apple?

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@missacre said:
@humanity said:

@missacre said:

@joshwent said:

@missacre said:

@animasta said:

@yinstarrunner said:

I'm a fanboy, of logic.

Do you own a phone, with a camera? Well enjoy being spied on every time you use it to text, I mean how do you know that thing isn't on and recording for Apple?

Apple? I don't own an iPhone. Never have. Yes, I do have a phone. I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't recording me. How did this even transition to phones, anyway? I thought we were talking about how evil Sony is.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Everyone complains about how horrible online gaming communities are. You get people spewing horrible racist, sexist and homophobic language, death threats and all sorts of other horrible shit. Yet when Sony implement a policy that allows them full access to look at these peoples chat history and see the kind of things they've been doing and then ban them, people complain?

I don't understand people sometimes.