The GameSpot stream showed a potential problem.

• 80 results
planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By planetary

Correcting myself, it looks like Reddit found a single 1.5TB drive which meets the requirements (2.5" width, 9.5mm height) here.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@hailinel said:

@nictel: In what world does it take a single minute to install a 50GB game?

Installing the game takes longer, but you can play before it is finished installing, so he's likely referring to the time it takes from starting the install, until you can play.

(whether it is actually that quick, or not, I don't know, but I think that's what he's referring to)

Exactly, from Kotaku:

Here are the install times I got for each game:

Knack:

32 seconds

Killzone: Shadow Fall:

0:38

Battlefield 4:

0:42

Injustice: Gods Among Us:

0:28

Just Dance 2014:

0:24

Madden 25:

0:23

Assassin's Creed 4:

0:13

So unless 500GB becomes to small for the other content I feel it won't be an issue for games. Unless of course in 3 years you are taking through 16 update screens for a game.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Nekroskop

The only issue is buying a larger HDD and replacing the old one with it. I'm still suprised that both consoles went with only 500GB.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I always knew that 500GB wasn't going to be enough for the size of these AAA games but it wasn't till like a month ago that i realized that even the retail games needed installing so that just makes it even more important to get a large HDD.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hard drive management is going to be a big thing going forward. Even on the PC side games are pretty huge too - I have a 1TB drive that only has about 300GB left that is filled up with games, plus another 100GB on my SSD filled up with the most recent stuff.

Either delete games after you get done playing them and just reinstall them when you want, or invest in a bigger hard drive. I seriously doubt that Sony and Microsoft won't come out with a 1TB drive for the PS4 and Xbox One sometime down the road, or at least have the option for you to swap out drives for commerical ones.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@marz said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

@jayjonesjunior said:

Even before we heard of big mandatory installs, 500GB was already too small.

In what world is 500 GB too small?

the world 5 years ago.

I wouldn't say 5 years ago, but certainly within the last two. Your Steam folder can get really out of control if you don't uninstall games. Max Payne 3 was like 30gb. The MMORPG Tera ended up being over 45gb big after installation. It was the first time in ages that I've had to delete stuff to make room for new games.

swimbuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By swimbuff

I wonder about that time-to-play figures though because I imagine that applies to booting a game and playing the first level? If I wanted to replay a certain game that was uninstalled and skip to the last level for example, will the system dynamically prioritise installing content based on which level we selected or the savegame point? I'm guessing probably not, but I hope to be proven wrong.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@swimbuff said:

I wonder about that time-to-play figures though because I imagine that applies to booting a game and playing the first level? If I wanted to replay a certain game that was uninstalled and skip to the last level for example, will the system dynamically prioritise installing content based on which level we selected or the savegame point? I'm guessing probably not, but I hope to be proven wrong.

I doubt that's going to be the case. In some cases, it sounds like you might get the option for whether to install single player or multiplayer first, but I doubt you'll ever get the option to load a particular level in a game first.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cartridges man, play that shit... instantly! Truly next-gen.

@krullban I appreciate that you're keeping us all up to date on every single insignificant "problem" the PS4 launch has, but this thread is ridiculous, as many others here have said. All of this is obvious, has been known for months, yet you're presenting it like it's breaking news. Files take space on a hard drive! Fucking, shocking.

swimbuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I think so too. So all this talk about short install times would only apply if you were planning to replay a game from the start then. If you wanted to play from a later point in the game, I guess we'll learn how the PS4 handles that in the coming weeks.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By crithon

You know, normally I'd say no big deal, but man, in the future more downloading less using discs. We are going to have to get used to swapping out HDDs, unless there becomes some standard differences in HDDs in the next 5 years?

JesterArbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yes, the hard drive is small comparative to how much space each game needs now a days, but can be cured with good hard drive management. Especially with the PS3, I learned to delete old games when I'm done with them. Obviously multiplayer centric games will have to stay on the drive but how many single player games do you need to play at one time? 1 or 2 tops. Personally I don't have a problem with it, but I guess we will find out in a month or so once the console is launched.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

The console has USB3, so once external HDDs get supported this should be less of an issue.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@gs_dan: Have they said that they will support it those?

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By Aviar

I think because the companies try to keep the cost of the initial consoles down in price, I have yet to ever see a console launch with a big enough hard drive.

The launch day xbox 360 came with only a 20gb drive, which at the time was a joke. I think the launch day PS3's were only 20, 40, 60 and 80 GB in size which still was a joke.

One of the best things with Sony consoles though is they allow you to upgrade the hard drive yourself. I'm sure many people will be putting 1tb drives into their launch day systems as that seems like it will end up being the MINIMUM size anyone is going to be able to go with, without having to constantly remove games to install new ones.

I'm going to try to get by on the 500gb drive for a little while, and hopefully hard drive sizes continue growing and a 2tb laptop drive becomes available. While there are 2tb 2.5" drives available now, I haven't found one that will fit this requirement from Sony: is no thicker than 9.5mm

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is shocking that you can install things to fill up a hard drive? Wow....

Yeah welcome to the world of PC gaming since....forever.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I got a 2TB drive for like $75, I think? Doesn't seem like much, but I suppose that's almost a quarter of the ask price.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do you need more than 8-10 games installed?

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Being a PS3 owner, I kinda got used to managing my 'currently playing' library. I'm never in the middle of playing through 8 or 9 games at a time. Maybe, at the most, playing 4 or 5. So, If I'm currently playing a fighting game, a racing game, a sports game, an rpg, an action-adventure, and an fps...I feel like, atleast for me, installing and uninstalling won't be a problem.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

STOP THE PRESSES

Gamers Say "Hard Drive" May Fill Up

The streets are packed with raging gamers today, who awoke to discover that their PlayStation 4's 500 GB Hard Drives (HD) may in fact be completely full one day. After one outlet put the HD through its paces by installing every videogame available at launch they discovered a mere 100 GB remained. Since most gamers are planning on purchasing every piece of software available for the machine and playing it indefinitely - and worse, since the data cannot be removed from the Hard Drive and it can never be removed/replaced - it seems Sony has cut the life of its new machine short already.

For more news from the end of the console war, hit GIANTBOOOOMMB DOOOOOTT COOOM.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just gonna have to treat it like Steam. I already do this with my 250 gb drive on my 360.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hard Drive management's about to get a whole lot more tedious.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To remedy this issue, I plan on putting a 2TB drive in my PS4 when it arrives. I've already gone out and purchased one (Just a cheapo 7200RPM).

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't often play more than one game at a time so this doesn't really seem like a problem.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#75  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@pimblycharles: I didn't think there were all that many 2.5" 2TB hard drives out there, and I'm not sure there are any that are 9.5mm in height. I hope you didn't just waste some money, duder.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy a 2TB drive, slap it in your PS4, problem solved.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By shinjin977

This is a problem now? I mean......here I am sitting on my 2tb PC that's already full because my skyrim + mods takes almost 70gb. No hd will ever be enough. Just uninstall what you don't play any more and I have a really hard time believing the majority of gamers will be playing 8-10 games at the same time. Ps4 crashing report? that might be a problem. HDMI port issues? that might be a problem. No interesting launch games(except resogun)? that's a problem. HDD too "small"? .........this is reaching entitled territory and base on my post history alone that is word I completely despise when the gaming media say it.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Honestly, they could make the HDD's 3TB and people would still manage to fill it up easily. There are a lot of "data hoarders" out there who can't bear to delete their old files.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

you have to install EVERY game? That seriously sucks, I play alot of sport game with my friends, i'm not going to have to all installed just to play them 2-3 times a month.

theninjamonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even think I will have that many games installed, only 5 games total which is half the HDD, then the other half for whatever else like F2Ps and other downloads