Help me find an old PS1 game, please.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hey there duders!

I've been thinking about this game I once played on PS1. And I can't remember what it's called for the life of me. But I have some hazy memories of how it looked, so I figured you might be able to help me out. Here goes:

It was a top-down action-adventure game, like 2D Zeldas or Alundra. I'm pretty sure it was sprite-based, possibly with 3D backgrounds. I think it played in and around a house and you played as a kid. I think you fought nightmares? The health bar might have been "Zzz"s?

I know it's not a lot to go on. But I figure that's fairly distinctive, so someone might remember this game. And I know fighting nightmares is ALSO a part of Alundra, but that's definitely not it.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By odinsmana

"40 winks" is not sprite based and it`s more behind the back than top down, but otherwise it fits.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lv4Monk

Brave Fencer Musashi is also not sprite based but had a sleep meter and was, sorta kinda vaguely, Zelda-ish.

I'm stretching a bit but with memories being memories who knows?

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LeStephan
Loading Video...

@odinsmana: that was my first thought too but Ive never actually played the game . Its one of those games I saw in magazines and dreamt about all the time when I was younger but never ended up getting. Coincidentally I saw a dutch copy of it on ebay for 3 euros not too long ago and thought about buying it. It was called Ruff & Tumble: droomkreigers (dream warriors) here in the netherlands.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By odinsmana

@lestephan: I played it is a kid, but I don`t remember a lot from it. I think it`s because there were parts of the game that scared me (I was four or five at the time), so I never played it as much as I played something like Crash or Spyro. I still have it laying around somewhere though and now I kinda want to go back and try it again.

On a side note: Ruff and Tumble: droomkreigers is a great name, so much better than 40 winks.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Crash Bandicoot

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By paulunga

Yeah, it was definitely NOT Ruff 'n' Tumble/40 Winks. I tried googling the game I was thinking of before and that one came up. It wasn't fully 3D, I remember that much. Also not Brave Fencer Musashi.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Is it Swagman?

Loading Video...

Played that game as a kid and wanted to like it a lot. Haven't thought about it in a while but this brought it back. Pretty sure it's what you are talking about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@artisanbreads: That has to be it.

Man, I have never seen that game before and I used to get deep into playing obscure PS1 titles. Guess there were just so many of them.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I can't believe there was a game named Swagman :D That's amazing.

seeing it in action reminds me a bit of a game that came for free by buying Omo laundry detergents, Max and Sparky

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: HOLY SHIT! That's it! I was completely unable to find it on my own for years now. Thank you!

Huh, my description was pretty good now that I see it in action again. :D

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@paulunga: haha yeah it was. Seriously reading it pretty much made me recall the game myself. I couldn't recall the name at first but when I saw Swagman it brought it back. Hilarious name. I was really spoiled in the PSX era I remember owning this game but don't recall getting through all that much of it. I think I was just a kid who got grabbed by the box art.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I actually never owned a PS1, but I'm pretty sure I almost beat this game in a department store. XD