Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Help me find an old PS1 game, please.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hey there duders!

I've been thinking about this game I once played on PS1. And I can't remember what it's called for the life of me. But I have some hazy memories of how it looked, so I figured you might be able to help me out. Here goes:

It was a top-down action-adventure game, like 2D Zeldas or Alundra. I'm pretty sure it was sprite-based, possibly with 3D backgrounds. I think it played in and around a house and you played as a kid. I think you fought nightmares? The health bar might have been "Zzz"s?

I know it's not a lot to go on. But I figure that's fairly distinctive, so someone might remember this game. And I know fighting nightmares is ALSO a part of Alundra, but that's definitely not it.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By odinsmana

"40 winks" is not sprite based and it`s more behind the back than top down, but otherwise it fits.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lv4Monk

Brave Fencer Musashi is also not sprite based but had a sleep meter and was, sorta kinda vaguely, Zelda-ish.

I'm stretching a bit but with memories being memories who knows?

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LeStephan
    Loading Video...

@odinsmana: that was my first thought too but Ive never actually played the game . Its one of those games I saw in magazines and dreamt about all the time when I was younger but never ended up getting. Coincidentally I saw a dutch copy of it on ebay for 3 euros not too long ago and thought about buying it. It was called Ruff & Tumble: droomkreigers (dream warriors) here in the netherlands.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By odinsmana

@lestephan: I played it is a kid, but I don`t remember a lot from it. I think it`s because there were parts of the game that scared me (I was four or five at the time), so I never played it as much as I played something like Crash or Spyro. I still have it laying around somewhere though and now I kinda want to go back and try it again.

On a side note: Ruff and Tumble: droomkreigers is a great name, so much better than 40 winks.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Crash Bandicoot

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By paulunga

Yeah, it was definitely NOT Ruff 'n' Tumble/40 Winks. I tried googling the game I was thinking of before and that one came up. It wasn't fully 3D, I remember that much. Also not Brave Fencer Musashi.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Is it Swagman?

Loading Video...

Played that game as a kid and wanted to like it a lot. Haven't thought about it in a while but this brought it back. Pretty sure it's what you are talking about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@artisanbreads: That has to be it.

Man, I have never seen that game before and I used to get deep into playing obscure PS1 titles. Guess there were just so many of them.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I can't believe there was a game named Swagman :D That's amazing.

seeing it in action reminds me a bit of a game that came for free by buying Omo laundry detergents, Max and Sparky

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: HOLY SHIT! That's it! I was completely unable to find it on my own for years now. Thank you!

Huh, my description was pretty good now that I see it in action again. :D

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@paulunga: haha yeah it was. Seriously reading it pretty much made me recall the game myself. I couldn't recall the name at first but when I saw Swagman it brought it back. Hilarious name. I was really spoiled in the PSX era I remember owning this game but don't recall getting through all that much of it. I think I was just a kid who got grabbed by the box art.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I actually never owned a PS1, but I'm pretty sure I almost beat this game in a department store. XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.