Vita Quick Looks should now be possible

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

So, some Japanese guys are now selling unofficial Vita video capture kits, and on his Tumblr Jeff indicated he was interested if they could be bought of an English language page with secure payment, which they now can. This would mean we can finally get some Quick Looks of future Vita titles like Soul Sacrifice. Though, if they went back and looked at previously released titles, any specific ones they should look at?

I think Gravity Rush is an obvious one, and Persona 4 Golden given it's history with the site. In theory I'd love to see Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable, though I expect it would just be them taking cheap shots at it, and they'd never play it enough to unlock the real star of the game - the Pale Wing. Knytt Underground, a neat metroidvania game they ignored on PS3 and PC. (Also Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus for a return of the creeper cam :P).

Any more people would like to see?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

We'll need more games.

I'd actually like to see Soul Sacrifice as well as Gravity Rush.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

Maybe show people some... Uhhhhh. Wake-up Club? Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice for sure but there's nothing else really.

Actually, Frobisher Says! would be great. Dead or Alive 5 Plus since Jeff has it.

Maybe Smart As... and Ragnarook Odyssey also.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Dragon's Crown mun. Dem boobies be bouncin'.

I'm so looking for a reason to own this sweet device.

That's what she said.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

LittleBigPlanet Vita would be awesome now that the community has had time to make some kick-ass levels.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver

It's good that thing actually is out there now, all we need now are the games to quicklook.

Heyooo!

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. Would love to see some Vita QLs.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

First, I think its kind of weird that Sony hasnt provided, or at the very least sold to the press software or cables to be able to do this. I do not know how the vitas os works, nor do I know how press usualy get their hands on proprietary video capture hardware. but I imagen that getting a capture ability to press at the very least at cost would be very helpful for selling games on the vita.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thebunnyhunter

If they dont want to buy one lets send em one

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Man I kinda want one of these. The price seems fairly reasonable if it's all legit, and it's not like I take my Vita out of the house. It would be awesome to just play the games on a TV instead.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

@mikkaq said:

Man I kinda want one of these. The price seems fairly reasonable if it's all legit, and it's not like I take my Vita out of the house. It would be awesome to just play the games on a TV instead.

There's got to be some kind of latency... right?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jams

I don't think some Jerry-rigged thing from some random Japanese man constitutes there being a viable way to record quick looks.

Also, if Sony doesn't want people recording footage straight from the Vita (that's what I gather from them not releasing them to press) then fuck'em they don't get the coverage.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@dagbiker said:

First, I think its kind of weird that Sony hasnt provided, or at the very least sold to the press software or cables to be able to do this. I do not know how the vitas os works, nor do I know how press usualy get their hands on proprietary video capture hardware. but I imagen that getting a capture ability to press at the very least at cost would be very helpful for selling games on the vita.

Judging by that PS4 event, I think even Sony can't do direct capture from the Vita, even they had to do over the shoulder shots. I could be wrong, but you would think that if anywhere they would have the ability to direct capture video, it would have been at that event.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

So I know the intention of this device is to capture video, but how well would it work if someone just wanted to output the video to a larger screen?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:

There's got to be some kind of latency... right?

Yeah the more I look at it, I guess it goes into a computer through USB, it's not some clean HDMI feed or anything. That's not as exciting, but still that'll be cool for quick lookin'.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The website looks dodgy.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@dagbiker said:

Judging by that PS4 event, I think even Sony can't do direct capture from the Vita, even they had to do over the shoulder shots. I could be wrong, but you would think that if anywhere they would have the ability to direct capture video, it would have been at that event.

True. I didnt remember that, and even back at the E3 where they first showed off the Vita they showed over the shoulder camera.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone track down Aaron to buy more equipment for them.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: Haha yeah eh? I'm actually in need of a new android phone myself.. *hinthintnudgeaaron*

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlackLagoon

@sgtsphynx said:

Developer Vitas have HDMI out, it's how they capture footage for trailers etc. They didn't do that at the PS4 event because the whole point of the segment was showing a PS4 game being played on a Vita via remote play.

As for why they're not being given out to the press, I dunno. There's probably some complicated internal politics behind it - fear that it'll lead to devkits getting into hackers hands and such. For a while at least, Sony was apparently also very focused on people seeing the games on the actual Vita screen, which is understandable, since most games look far worse when shown on a much lower pixel density computer monitor.

@probablytuna said:

The website looks dodgy.

They're obviously not going to win any awards for web design or writing, but as far as I can tell, they're legit. They've apparently been selling 3DS capture kits for a while now. They have a blog where they show a bit more about how it works, though it is in Japanese. And if you are in Tokyo, you are apparently free to stop by their offices in Akihabara to get a demonstration of the kit in person.

(Should probably warn that the blog contains some images from Senran Kagura that are kinda NSFW.)

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rolanthas

Let's just hope the PS Vita capture debacle was the last remnant of the Sony Arrogance. That nearly guaranteed the minimal Vita game coverage in the gaming press, no matter the intention behind it.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LittleBigPlanet Vita would be awesome now that the community has had time to make some kick-ass levels.

YOu know they gonna play a couple packed in levels and then just search for 1-1 though...

I guess it gives them time to make a really good 1-1

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yay, I'm deleting the misrecognising hardware right now.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty good for a ghetto solution. A million times better then some of the over the shoulder footage that people currently shoot. Looking forward to seeing a proper QL.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. I was shocked at how well made that game was.

I think I actually enjoyed it more than the originals.