• 108 results
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

@marc said:

I get the jitter when staying still, but when in motion it does not happen at all. Overall very happy with it, but holy sweaty forehead.

No Caption Provided

Do you think there is a way to get a terry cloth liner to retro-fit onto the headset? They make these liners and sweat bands for construction helmets. Maybe just blowing a fan woudl be the best thing.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@marc said:

I get the jitter when staying still, but when in motion it does not happen at all. Overall very happy with it, but holy sweaty forehead.

No Caption Provided

Do you think there is a way to get a terry cloth liner to retro-fit onto the headset? They make these liners and sweat bands for construction helmets. Maybe just blowing a fan would be the best thing.

The way the headset is designed, you can definitely rig up some sort of sweatband yeah. If you're willing to do it, I could not see it being a problem what so ever. I resorted to laying a dry washcloth on my forehead before putting the headset on, and that worked great. As someone who plans to let other people use this headset a bunch, I definitely prefer to stick with very temporary solutions for sweat.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just want to say London Heist is fucking AWESOME

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By marc

@frostyryan: Agreed. Would love to see that studio build upon it and make a more fleshed out game. It's fantastic.

I am also very excited for SportsBarVR next week. I feel that will be a blast.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@shivoa said:

The headset can occasionally glitch a frame or two (typically a jump down and to the left by a few mm) when I'm in cinema mode but then returns. But I've had no issue with drifting tracking (certainly never fell through the bottom of a car) or the strobing depth or swimming motions.

I managed to get some slight swimming in Allumette! Head still, slow oscillating of the world as the depth reported oscillated slightly (only a few mm of error is more than enough for it to be very apparent). I was sat on my sofa so ~12ft from the camera at the time. I normally sit on a swivel chair with the front of the headset 5ft from the camera. Couldn't fix the oscillating via resetting the view but moving closer to the camera fixed it. So that's certainly something the PS VR team need to work on (the accelerometers in the headset should have been enough to show a lack of motion and block the camera's uncertainty over the depth - by no means is any of this trivial work but I think there's enough data for them to detect when it this state and fix it). Why this happened to the GB crew in the studio when far close to the cameras? Couldn't say. But it's the first time I've been able to get my system to do any oscillating depth effect.

As to the glitching cinema mode: I've also narrowed down when it does and doesn't do it. It's when I'm in the PS system menu area but there's an open VR game in the background. Sometimes the head tracking seems to get confused by translational movement and glitches as if it thinks I'm accelerating down left and takes a few frames to realise I'm not and jump back to the correct position. So far I've been unable to replicate it while not with a VR game running in the background so hopefully this can be fixed be better management of background task load?

Going back to first impressions, Headmaster is pretty good. I'm not convinced by the GB crew's advice to think of your head an a breakout paddle, that didn't seem to work consistently for aiming at all.

Oh, and more Rez being Rez (aka one of the all time classic). Area 5 is still an amazing experience that slowly builds and builds (even if I just failed to get over 95% shoot-down score on my first time through - I must be getting rusty, I've not even hit 100% once so far playing through the areas). I think it's a real testament to what is and isn't important about graphics that Area 5 holds up. Even with really low polygon animals and trees and going up through the trunk of a tree with such a low detail texture it's basically pure mud. But it still work; it's still a cohesive space you're floating through.

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knurrunkulus: There's a sweet spot, but it's a relative sweet spot - like, it's never going to be as crystal clear as the TV. It reminded me of the picture quality of some of the cheap PC monitors I had in the mid 90s, back when having 1024x768 was king. However, there's definitely personal preference at play, like my eyesight is so bad, I'm used to their being a little fuzz around stuff even at the best of times. For me, it was fine, especially because of the immersion.

But you should be able to read the text. Maybe it's a function of your prescription - like, for example, I have monofocal lenses. I suspect wearing bifocals might mess things up, for example.

Let me put it this way - when I was at the Thumper title screen, I looked over my right shoulder, and there's this multi-banded rainbow representing the track wall whizzing by my shoulder, pulsing with evil malice - and I just stared at it. Maybe it was a tiny bit fuzzy (my memory says it was clear, but after talking about it, I won't swear by that), but it was sitting right there and looking amazing, and I wanted to reach out with my hand and touch it because it was so vivid. I don't know if there's long term value in this stuff, and I know every person is different and so I'm not going to say PS VR is a must buy - but, for somebody who wanted to see the magic of VR without paying top tier prices, that was the moment I went "DAMN, I get it now."

Knurrunkulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@shivoa: So regarding the demo disc text: I didn't put the disc in but I loaded up the demo from the store (should be the same). Do you mean the text that says something about copyright and who developed the thing and all that stuff at the bottom? Barely readable for me! Just a mess of jagged edges mixed with what I would still call blurriness. The text crispness is the thing I'm coming back to all the time and I cannot for the life of me understand why the text looks crisp on my TV but as soon as I put the headset on it's hard to read again. Isn't the social screen supposed to look worse than the thing the person that is playing in VR is experiencing? Well, not the case for me. In most cases it looks a bit better on the social screen than in VR, to be honest. In Allumette for example I of course know(!) that the wooden box is supposed to say "Fragile" on it, but in VR I can't see smooth letters while on the TV I can. And there are so many more examples of this that I found by now that I could continue writing for many minutes, but I'll spare you more details. By now I have probably spent over an hour trying to adjust the headset on my head over and over again and I'm close friends with the eye measurement setting by now. Nothing changes. I'm beginning to feel like I'm running out of options to change that. A bit depressing.

Knurrunkulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghoti221: Thumper is intense in VR, I absolutely agree. But are the graphics crisp for you all the time? In level 2 for example, when green prompts are coming towards you and there are some of the tentacles behind them that you have to fly/jump over I sometimes had trouble seeing it early enough, because it all seemed a bit blurry in the distance. For me, the biggest "Wow"-moment was the first thing I played, which was the Ocean Descent demo from Playstation Worlds. Probably kinda normal that the very first thing you ever see in VR is the thing that blows you away the most. Since then, when I was still grinning like a dumbass and couldn't believe what I was seeing, I'm however realizing more and more the issues I'm having with blurriness and text that isn't smooth/crisp/clear or whatever you want to call it at all. Which is a bit of a shame.

How is it for you? When you take the headset of during a VR game and look at the social screen: Does it look worse or better than what you're seeing in VR, especially concerning the crispness of text and the graphics in general. Because from what I've heard it should(!) look worse than what you see in VR, but for me its' definitely the other way round, which is one of the big mysteries for me by now.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LeStephan

So i got my pupil stuff measured at an optician but thers no way to manually adjust it in psvr. You can only let the camera deside and for me thats pretty off. My pupilary distance is actually 60 but the ps camera keeps measuring it as 63-64.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lestephan: So I had this issue as well, I'm 57-58 but it keeps getting around 59. Basically, make sure your face is 2 feet from the camera and fully in frame when it takes the picture.

If it is still off, take the picture from the same distance again, then tick in once or twice from what seems "good" to adjust the IPD inwards. I'm sure they'll add a "manual entry" eventually, although it is ridiculous that it's not there already.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knurrunkulus: Yes (I'm also using the downloaded version of the demo disc), that tiny text about Unreal Engine etc at the bottom. That should be only just readable because it's really tiny text (and this isn't a 4K headset - imagine looking at a TV that filled your entire vision, you'd need to be literally inches from the surface of the TV).

From the sound of it, you're getting something close to the expected experience (otherwise that text would be unreadable). Things should look sharper when looking at it on a TV (a 1080p TV has literally twice as many dots at the headset has for each eye and you're looking at it from a distance so each of the dots is much, much closer together - the TV also doesn't need to work out where your head is and render the image so it looks like it is fixed in space because when you move your head the TV doesn't move with it).

However, I can see that 'Fragile' text quite clearly (leaning all the way back to moving my head in up close). I'm really surprised you can make out letters at all in the tiny white text of the demo splash screen but not the large text on the side of the box.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I've only been mildly interested in VR up to now and the live stream from last week pretty much killed what interest I had; then I read this thread and I figured I'd go for it anyway, even if there isn't much now, eventually there will be something amazing attached to this so why waste time thinking about it.

I was able to pick one up yesterday, the setup was a bit of a pain in the butt trying to fit everything nicely in my existing entertainment unit.

Only 2 usb ports is going to be a problem now, needing an external hard drive and having the vr hooked up leaves nowhere to charge my controller, they should have built a usb hub into the vr breakout box.

Thanks for posting in this thread, I haven't had really any issues and am pretty happy with the few hours I've spent in PS VR so far.

The headset is very comfortable and light.

Thumper is pretty great and Kitchen really felt amazing if short.

Avatar image for washablemarkers
washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible to set up the camera so it's not directly in front of (or on top of) your television? I have an L-shaped living room. There's nowhere near enough space where the TV is to sit in front of it for VR, but there's plenty of space just next to where the TV is. Will this be an issue?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible to set up the camera so it's not directly in front of (or on top of) your television? I have an L-shaped living room. There's nowhere near enough space where the TV is to sit in front of it for VR, but there's plenty of space just next to where the TV is. Will this be an issue?

It's just a camera. I think you can put it anywhere. I have mine mounted on my TV but off to the side (because my TV is up against a wall so it needs to be on the edge of the TV to give enough room to the left.

You just have to remember to look at the camera instead of the TV. When you have the goggles on you can't see anyway, so it doesn't matter, but the initial set up might be a bit of an adjustment. But I don't think it will be a long term problem.

ultragamerockx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's name beat the Playstation Camera, what were they thinking? Who on earth would call it the "Playstation Camera"?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Shivoa

So, Here They Lie. That demo is not messing around. If that Resi (Kitchen) demo got to you then you really need to click the Here They Lie demo on the downloadable disc. You are going to love it. By which I mean brown pants time.

I'm not the most unshakeable at the classic lights off, sound up genre but there's something about seeing the shadow of something (not someone - that rat face can't be a someone!) stalking you as you pass a light and hearing the chattering teeth and breath behind you getting closer... closer... but if I don't turn round then maybe nothing happens... It's right by your shoulder now but if you keep going them maybe it's nothing, maybe your shadow just looks a bit weird, as if there is something almost on you. Pretty affecting stuff, at least for me. This still makes it seem like 5 years from now (when GPU tech can really feed these headsets at the 120Hz they really would love and devs have worked out all the tricks to track players and wind them up just right before *unmistakable sound of a rat's nibbling teeth just over your left shoulder* putting horror into survival horror).

Technically, it has the same issue as Resi (Kitchen) in that I look at it and start thinking about where I find the money for a PS4 Pro. Everything lacks detail (both textures and low res/lack of anti-aliasing causing polygon meshes to be hard to parse) compared to what the headset is clearly capable of and a GPU bump should mean that is fixed when using "Pro mode", assuming all these games are required to actually make use of it for VR to pass cert at this point (Sony really need to force their hand, even if it does make it look like PS VR is a secret weapon to force adoption of the Pro - we all knew the PS4 can only really do VR perf for somewhat abstract visuals, none of this realistic plus real-time lighting stuff).

Also Here They Lie only allows you to turn via the "blink"/X degrees system and I hate that system, especially in 1st person games. I can handle right-stick analogue turning in VR. Maybe it's just they lack any option because it's only the demo but that puts me off the full game. But Brad didn't seem to have it set to smooth movement in the full game they had during the latest stream (and we never got to see the options menu). Has anyone got it and can confirm what options are available to change the turning?

Speaking of games that only allow blink turning, Bound also only does that turning but it's even worse as the camera is totally static (yes, in a 3rd person platformer - as noted the the most recent VR video stream) and only when you jab at the right stick does it dim to black then blink you to closer to the protagonist. I will say that anyone else playing should immediately turn on the Alt VR Camera as that way at least the up/down on the right stick teleport you to be precisely behind the protagonist so you can use her movements to quickly line up a precise rotation rather than just doing left/right to blink 30 degrees at a time.

Still a lovely game, the visuals are even more stark when you're sitting inside the sea of floating, pulsing polygons which fall apart and join back up to make solid surfaces. Could do with some PS4 Pro magic to up the res/add anti-aliasing but less of a desperate need than the games going for photo-realism. Not a strong recommendation but I've certainly played worse VR ports. Hopefully they're working on another patch to add some more options for the camera so that experienced VR players can fly a bit more freely rather than being fixed.

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

SO I've been playing a lot of VR since I got my headset at home but I still only have three games. I've been going back to Rez over and over again because I just love that game so much but...!

RIGS is honestly really fun. When you get a hang on how to move in that game it flows like nothing else honestly. I'm really into playing more of it. I think the presentation of that game is really top-notch honestly and I'm loving every single second of it.

Really still liking the fit of this headset so far. I use glasses so it's really nice not having to feel like it's cramped because of it. I've been watching some VR TV through the Littlestar Cinema app on PS4 and it's kinda fun. Still, no fidelity more than just being able to look around in 360 degrees, so really nothing special.

Also going up on stage with Miku in the Hatsune Miku demo is so weird. Having something dance just like a few centimeters from your eyes is kinda creepy!

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa said:

Also Here They Lie only allows you to turn via the "blink"/X degrees system and I hate that system, especially in 1st person games. I can handle right-stick analogue turning in VR. Maybe it's just they lack any option because it's only the demo but that puts me off the full game. But Brad didn't seem to have it set to smooth movement in the full game they had during the latest stream (and we never got to see the options menu). Has anyone got it and can confirm what options are available to change the turning?

I haven't tried this myself but Game Informer did a video with smooth moving, but it seems to turn on the porthole effect at the same time.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knurrunkulus: Same here. I took my headset off a couple times while playing Job Simulator and was kind of surprised at how better it looked on the TV than it does in the headset.

Overall, this has been about what I expected so far. Having the usual Move-mote tracking issues, occasional world lurching as it forgets where I am for a moment, etc. It seems to be very game-dependent, though; I don't have any trouble in Tumble VR making very slight, precise movements and having them track damn near perfectly, but trying to do the same type of movements in Job Simulator would work maybe 50% of the time.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not going to lie. Kind of disappointed in the visual clarity but as time goes on I notice it less. Just to be sure there will always be a small gap at the bottom of the viewing area yes? No matter how I adjust it, will not sit completely flush on my face.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By LeStephan

@yakov456: what helps for me is pulling the lens part out a bit and pushing the back of the band a little up so that the lens part tilts down a little more so to speak. I have a very skinny face(dont have much between my bones&skin) and It feels like I put the headset a little higher on my head than what I've seen most people do, otherwise the gap at the bottom is huge for me.(Hope I explained it well enough)

So.... I've had some really bad drifting and tracking issues yesterday for no clear reason.... After each level of thumper my head was turned 90 degrees to the right just like brad on the stream but that was just the start.... The dualshock would also consistently be tracked in the wrong position, it was stable but I'd be holding it super straight and it would be slighly turned to the left in vr space, moving it was also way more jittery than before. London heists world kept moving/Jittering around as soon as I moved too much as well (So the whole time pretty much) like when Jeff played batman on stream. Sportsbar vr was pretty much the same, throwing darts was just impossible for example. (And there was no one online during the half hour I fooled around with it) .

I spent about 6 hours yesterday 'playing' and trying to resolve the issues but to no avail, super weird how well it worked the first time compared to yesterday...

Playing Allumette(Which looks gorgeously sharp compared to 'invasion!') the day before I could literally walk around the whole scene without it loosing tracking, even with my back to the camera. Same with the Wayward Sky and Harmonix vr demo.

The smooth turning in The Assembly is also the first/only thing thats really gotten me motion sick, had to stop after turning a couple times. It feels like the fps just plummets as soon as you turn the camera using the stick or something, not smooth at all and very nauseating. Blinking is also really unnatural to me and I seem to handle other games with right stick turning just fine(like rigs with all comfort settings off) I also feel the cursor you use to click on stuff is too far from your face and HOLY MOTHER OF JAGGIES. No idea how the game or story are as I was to distracted by my issues with it and the fact that despite the psvr working perfectly at launch I had spent the whole day having the bloody thing not work as intended.

Anyone try vrideo? I thought the streaming quality was pretty unwatchable even at '4k' and the downloaded videos stuttered like crazy for me while looking just as bad. Haven tried the other video apps yet or the real ps4 mediaplayer with 360 videos. Only usb stick I have that physically fits in my ps4 is 500mb (why the f are the usb ports of the ps4 located in a deep trench that nothing fits in? ) so not sure I'l try it any time soon.

That pupilary stuff also sucks, cant get it lower than 63. Ive tried to redo it again but this time I tried over and over while getting closer, farther away etc and it never got lower, only higher, even got 67 at some point. For reference my ipd is 60. Its not a super big deal but it kind of feels like my eyes are straining a little as is, something even the 3ds' 3d doesnt do to me. Guess Ill do what silver streak suggested and just put the ipd crosshair way more inward than my eyes actually are.

And lastly I have yet to see a game look worse on the social screen, pretty much always looks better as far as I've seen.

Man, goshdarn, my first day with psvr felt so amazing, I need more! I feel like a drugaddict whose drugs dont work no more lol.

Edit: my room is less than 3m deep so I sit 2.3m from the camera when im as far back as possible, maybe im a little too close sometimes,.........

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Shivoa

@teoball: Cheers, that looks like an ok compromise. May have to give the full game a go.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lestephan: Thanks for the tip, it did help a bit. Now I just have to teach myself to look around. I tend to keep looking forward like a regular game lol.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By LeStephan

@yakov456: Glad to hear it helped, you'll get better at putting it on with time, I keep putting it on better and better myself I've noticed.

Aaaaaand It worked great again yesterday for unknown reasons....besides harmonix vr consistently freezing within a minute when using my own flac music from usb. And one tip: DONT move controllers too much when loading is almost done, that consistently made my controllers misalign in vr space. That said I drew a fucking car interior around me that pulsed to the sound of sound of play nr 58 while sitting on the floor and it was bloody amazing ! Saving&Loading doesnt work though, that crashed the game every single time.

Played loading human ep1 a little now too and besides me constantly accidentally moving around irl fucking up tracking it actually worked great as well. The position of the body you see when looking down looks off to me but calibrating with my knees slightly bent and taking half a step forward after that seemed to do the trick.

And bound looks amazing in vr. I mean, fuck those weird camera controlls but man its so big and beautiful in there!

Maybe we should just start a psvr tips&tricks thread.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far so great. Batman VR blew me away with the starting shot of you as Batman standing on a ledge. It got my fear of heights going big time.

Super Stardust VR was a blast. I stink at being a pilot though.

Eve Valkyrie. Now this game crashed on me twice. It's seems nice though. Once again I stink as a pilot.

I'm gonna start Here they lie.

Only problem is the demo disc. Sometimes it would not read saying the disc is dirty. WTF it's brand new. Then I could not eject the disc. So I downloaded the demo and I can't try certain games like Driveclub or the Until Dawn shooter. Got a error message downloading it too. Yet the demo works on some games odd.

So one little blemish on a iotherwise superb experience. Bring us more games.

So far I have Eve Valkyrie, Batman VR, Super Stardust Vr and Here They Lie.

Any suggestions for another game?

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wonder what the deal is with some of the demos on the demo disc not having any option to even play them. Like Hustle Kings, for example.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc said:

I just wonder what the deal is with some of the demos on the demo disc not having any option to even play them. Like Hustle Kings, for example.

And I thought it was just me. Never seen a demo disc do that before.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By marc

@marcsman said:
@marc said:

Right? You'd think a demo would be more than a title screen with a 'Buy now' option.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Cheetoman

I feel like Jeff overreacted on how bad it was. The problem for me is that it is really tight on my head. I can never get it to sit comfortably without me having to constantly try and adjust with my headphones on. Maybe my head is fucked, I don't know. Overall it's alright. Absolutely nothing people should be going crazy for and buying day 1.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DonPixel

Tried PSVR in a friend's house, as impressive as VR can be, I'm holding my horses a year or two

Everything VR seems like a super expensive early access right now

Been burned before by novelty in the pass "looking angry at you kinect"

If VR is the "next major computing platform" as Zuckerberg claim, i'll be there... right now, I'm in no hurry

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FrostyRyan

Does anyone actually own Thumper? The demo had me in fucking awe. That was incredible

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Hunkulese

@marcsman said:
@marc said:

I'm not sure if I've seen a demo disc not do that before.

Watch some of the demo disc videos they've done. Pretty sure all of them have a bunch of watch only stuff.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc: Demo discs used to have videos for some games only. No demo.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I grabbed the demo disc off PSN (EU actual disc in the package has way less demos than the PSN download version) then it did one of those two-part downloads. First few GB was the installer/wrapper, after which I could run it, but there was another 30GB of the rest of the package that was still downloading.

When I went to individual games on the menu then it would only give a play option when the game finished downloading, but if it hadn't downloaded then it would put that game to the top of the queue and a progress bar would appear tracking how much was downloaded before it was playable. This was after I'd also downloaded the patch for the demo disc that was out (small download).

I'm wondering if you had some issues with the download and it became broken and stopped even trying to download the remaining demos. That would explain why some of the demos had a play option and others didn't have anything other than buy and quit.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got PS VR on Thursday and played it crazy for a few days but I'm sending it back to Amazon. I had no issues and I sat between 4-6 ft in front of it, I also never experienced even the tiniest bit of motion sickness. My problem is that there is nothing I really want to play I bought Batman and Rez and 100% Batman but I can use that $400 on better things, if more actual games get announced I will buy it again. I liked it though and experienced perfect tracking sitting fairly close so I would suggest people try that if they are having issues

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheetoman: At least there is something to see in those cases though. This si straight up a title screen with an option to buy the game. Literally nothing more.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty odd that some people see no pixelation, while others say it looks like PS2 graphics due to it. So I'm wondering if some units are faulty? Or is it just a user error?

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc: Was so disappointed when seeing that. What was that point and click puzzle game on there? Where you control the girl walking around in the sky? Thought that was really unique and cool.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: If I'm looking at the PS home screen everything looks great but once I'm in game it's definitely not crystal clear. You get used to it though.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By LeStephan

@casepb: i found it depends on the angle of the screen to your eyes, since tilting the headset down Im noticing the screen door effect way less. Its definitely still there though.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb said:

It's pretty odd that some people see no pixelation, while others say it looks like PS2 graphics due to it. So I'm wondering if some units are faulty? Or is it just a user error?

I think some people are just put more weight into graphics than others. its the same people who think 30fps is unplayable.

I could b wrong and their could just be a bunch of faulty units out there but that and the swimming stuff feels like certain things bother some people more than others.

Kingbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Kingbob

I want a full Playroom VR Robot Rescue game. This was the first thing i tried, and when i went through the first cave and the vines brushed my face I was sold. I also played Tumble VR and it surprised me how engrossed I became in just stacking block. Eve made me feel a bit weird but the demo is only a few minutes long so hard to make a comment. The tank games was fun but its $79 Canadian so I will wait for a sale. I bought Hatsune Miku live stage, and I am going to get the season pass for that. I want to see Tethered. I have not had the screen shakes but my move controller can get a little jiggy some times. It did not affect me in Tumble. The rubber light blocker makes me sweat but i compensated by sliding the face plate back while in the menus. I am not buying a bunch of games all at once. I find when I do that I play one and let the rest sit. Future games I am interested in Tethered, SW BF xwing, ST bridge Crew, and I hope to find a good 3rd person platformer. I wish the Youtube app would play the 360 videos in the headset and not just in cinema mode. 8.5/10 for me on PSVR its not perfect but it still rocks :D

clockwork5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: yes I own Thumper. I can't stop playing it, in fact. It gets super intense and in your face.

My only criticism lies in the lack of musical variety. The game is great and it is great in VR. Just about the best looking VR game for me. Quite clean in comparison to some of the other VR games.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Shivoa

@casepb said:

It's not really that hard to be objective about this. Decent mk 1 eyeballs are enough to give it a full analysis.

The screen is very good, a solid wall of colour with no sub-pixel dots visible without exceptional vision (maybe people with natural 20:10 find the illusion broken by being able to see the individual dots of coloured light but for most it'll be like a standard 1080p TV - you can't see the individual sub-pixels), which is a major step up from something like a DK2 but not that different to a Vive or CK1 (the PSVR does have 20% more dots due to the panel used so is a small step beyond the Vive/CK1 but those both had moved most of the way from the very clearly not good enough DK2).

To be clear, there's still lots of room for improvement. Higher res screens mean better fine detail and removing any remaining issues like that. We can't just pump up the render res and keep panels like this because they've just gotten over the hump of no longer making each of the individual dots of light discernible as an individual element. Even though this is a pretty good start, we'll want to increase pixel counts on the displays to make it easier to show fine detail (up to the point where your eyes really can't resolve any more detail - this would be a long way away). There's no way of watching a Bluray on this headset and seeing every pixel of detail on the disc. You certainly couldn't make a virtual 4K display in a virtual room and read it as if it was a real 4K panel in the real world. The pixel density of the headset is way too low for that. But it's high enough that it's not distractingly pixellated. The 3D rendered scene feeding it, on the other hand...

The game being projected onto that screen will often be quite low resolution. DriveClub, the Kitchen demo, etc show incredibly clear aliasing and, as the scene is rendered to wrap around your entire vision, that becomes more noticeable than on a TV (where the screen takes up far less of your vision so the distance of each stair-step jaggy is far smaller for the same internal render resolution). Of course, some people are more or less used to seeing this as a defect and ignoring it. We all played 480p games only a few generations ago with massive aliasing issues (made less bad by CRTs but that's a whole topic in itself).

I doubt any units are faulty or if there's widespread user error. But take your 1080p TV and move you head forward until you literally can't see anything but screen. Now how big are the pixels in front of you? VR does density the opposite way (when very close to a flat TV then the pixels are most dense at the edge of your vision, the lenses in VR make it the opposite way so the most dense pixels are in the centre) but it's still solving that issue: cover the entire of your vision with screen. So aliasing is going to be more visible. Which is why Valve and Oculus both have done dev outreach explaining why anti-aliasing techniques are critical and why you need to render above the native res of the VR panel. The base PS4 can't do much with those constraints so everything is going to be a bit aliased until the Pro comes out and provides the GTX970 or higher GPU specs that PC VR has had since launch.

But this is something you need to see for yourself to know how much it bothers you. I'm cool with Thumper, Rez etc and can generally get along with everything except DriveClub - that is just too much of a weak imitation of how that game looked using 1080p30 on a TV and I'll wait for something else to come along (or Pro hardware) to get over the lack of detail and aliasing present in that game. If DriveClub doesn't have clear aliasing to a user, it may mean they need glasses or have the headset on wrong and so aren't seeing the thing in focus. Even then, I'd expect the stair-stepping to even get past a significant blur and be visible.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: The download definitely finished. Well, at least I assume it did as 40GB has downloaded for the thing. But I guess later on I can delete it and try again. I take it this means you were able to play the demos of things like Superhypercube and Hustle Kings?

Superhypercube is the only one I care to try at this point, considering the release of SportsBar VR today will likely make Hustle Kings irrelevant.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ye, the EU store's demo disc (different versions for each region - we got an 8 demo disc but a 15 demo download disc) has playable demos for every title that it included.

What I'm wondering about is regional differences because our downloadable disc doesn't have SuperHyperCube on it at all. The demo is on the PSN store by going to the page for the game and doing the demo download from that page. So I've played that demo but not because it was on the disc, it wasn't on the demo disc. Hustle Kings VR is also not on that download list (in fact I didn't even know there want means to be a demo of it available as it's not available on the EU store).

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if Sony doesn't want you to use your headset with anything but a PS4?

I use an HDMI switcher and have it going into the VR box. If I try and turn on just my PS4, I'll see the PS4 UI working fine for about a second then a screen pops up telling my to plug in everything according to their diagram and my only option is to back out which turns off the headset. However, if I turn on my PS4 and Xbox, switch the switcher to the Xbox, then switch back to the PS4, everything works fine.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By marc

Anyone have any clue when today's VR releases will be on the store?

Edit: nm, found out they will be up 12pm Pacific