bleatingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bleatingheart
No Caption Provided

It feels good to be in on it. Whatever “it” is doesn't really matter, but that feeling of sharing “it” feeling drives so many facets of enthusiast communities. I'm not just talking about games and geek culture, because this feeling can find you through any number of ways. Whether you're chatting with a stranger at the grocery store about your favorite tomato sauce recipe or grumbling with an acquaintance about a WWE storyline that's rubbing you the wrong way, it's instant kinship. It's a handful of words or actions or observations that can spark some fractional closeness that wasn't there before, that can catalyze a bond as much as act as one itself.

Have you been playing Pokémon Go? It seems like nearly everyone is, and they all have a story about running into someone, phones out and pokéballs poised. Even if you're not among the masses of people playing Pokémon Go lately, there's still a very high chance that you've heard these stories from people who are. They've permeated social media, circulating with more fervor and engagement than posts about the game alone. Jaded as I can get when the same type of content is circulating in my feed, I feel like I always have time to stop and read a story about neighbours banding together to locate a nearby Growlithe, or co-workers tossing lures out during their lunch-breaks. It’s nice to see people sharing something, especially when you can share it too.

These stories are the holy grail of enthusiast kinship. These encounters--the kind defying demographics of age, race, gender, and so on--are generally understood to be like unicorns. If one single person recognizes my BioWare jewelry out in the wild it practically makes my week, but this? This seems to be everywhere. And if the proliferation of tweets and articles about Pokémon Go encounters is any indication we don't even need to experience it firsthand to feel good about it. We can still get a contact high from the experiences of others, still feel like we're in on it from afar.

No Caption Provided

Gaming can be an isolating hobby. Not because it's inherently any more antisocial than huddling up in a chair and knitting, but rather because enthusiasm--the act of getting really into something--can exclude a lot of the folks around you who aren’t as into that thing as you. So it’s natural that there's an appeal to hearing about strangers clustering together on street corners, passing tips about where they found their rarest and most powerful catches. It's the feeling of having someone finally recognize the esoteric reference on your t-shirt, but magnified. It's not just one person, one incident. It's person after person, day after day. You get to feel like you're in a cool new secret club while at the same time accepting that just about everyone else is too.

Except you've probably been in it for years now, and so have they.

Have you ever seen someone playing something on their phone on the bus and leaned over, only to notice that it was Candy Crush or something just as ubiquitous? Did you roll your eyes and lean back again? When you hear about Clash of Clans taking over schools, when you see high-budget, celebrity-stuffed Super Bowl ads for games you might only be vaguely aware of, do you sigh and shrug? Good on you if you don't (seriously!), but many of us have had those moments. I certainly have. There's an ugly natural impulse to look down on this kind of gaming for any number of reasons. Popularity, exploitative profit models, seeming lack of originality, they’re all marks against what is commonly understood as the present state of mobile gaming.

… Until we find something we like, that is.

Pokémon Go did not turn all of these people into gaming enthusiasts. They did not all suddenly join this club. Most of us know that mobile games are absurdly popular, spanning many demographics in our society. We can almost assume that nearly anyone with a smartphone or a tablet has at least one game on it. We see people playing games around us all the time, and people see us playing games on our own devices as well, and in that sense the broad range of folks popping out of the woodwork with Pokémon in hand shouldn't be a surprise.

And even the fact that Niantic has unearthed this common language many of us didn’t realize we shared shouldn’t be quite as shocking as it is. Pokémon is big and it does very well, but beyond that the franchise is also currently celebrating its 20th anniversary--and 20 years is a long time for something to steep in culture at large. It’s had its peaks and its stagnant periods just like anything else, but it’s been around for a very long time.

Pokémon could be in college right now. It can legally vote.

No Caption Provided

Pokémon Go is built on the original first generation designs (the PokéRap canon, if you will.) That probably wasn’t a random choice. The original 150 Pokémon have never left the series as others were added, meaning that newer fans still recognize them, but the fact that they were part of the original phenomenon means that they’re also recognizable to older fans--even people who are only aware of the series through cultural osmosis or late ‘90s news stories about that one Japanese cartoon show giving kids seizures.

What Pokémon Go is doing is unifying players in one pursuit by tapping into a language many of us already know, and then making those players more visible to each other through the nature of how the game is played. That's it. Those players have always been there, far less visible and far less unified and consequently far easier to overlook. They have always been in the building, in the neighbourhood, in the office, around the corner, a few feet away on the train. They've always been 10 years younger or 10 years older. They've always been the guy with the well-polished vintage shoes or the lady with the really sweet dog or the kid with the Frozen backpack. And they’ve likely always known what a Pikachu is. All that's changed is that you're all on the same page for once, instead of only being on the same chapter.

No Caption Provided

Please don't mistake this as a plea to be more cynical about the Pokémon Go zeitgeist, as easy as it would surely be. Don't mistake this as sour grapes or hipster indifference or even just the inevitable hottest-of-takes backlash that comes from many people openly and loudly and enthusiastically enjoying something. That sentiment alone is worth underscoring. Like the things you like. Like them alone or like them with others. But what Pokémon Go should really be is a reminder that this sense of community, this shared moment, this isn't 100% built on the virtues of a single game, be that game good, bad or middling. Pokémon Go didn't put phones in the hands of all of these people, it did not make them open to the idea of loading a game onto their device. The social structure upon which all of these great little moments shared between friends and total strangers was already here.

Whether it takes a week, a month or a year, the frenzy surrounding Pokémon Go will inevitably pass. But people around you will still be playing something, whether we're all playing the same thing or not, whether you like what I'm playing or not. What Pokémon Go accomplishes better than anything else it's set out to do is remind us that society is saturated with players. There are players like us and players unlike us, but they’re players all the same.

mmarsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great write up, good read :)

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By rjaylee

I somehow get the feeling that the frenzy surrounding Pokemon Go won't necessarily pass - or at the very least, seeing what the hell comes next out of this. Just looking at the financials of how much Nintendo reaped from this, is more than enough of a signal to anyone looking to take Pokemon Go's concepts further, or even just to do a copycat /clone for their own profit.

Hell, if Nintendo/Niantic was to just sit on their laurels right now, they'd be incredibly foolish. Guaranteed that once Nintendo's stock went skyrocketing, there were a lot of emergency meetings happening higher up in the executive chain that were discussing what to actually do with this success, and immediately talking about long-term plans.

If there's one thing that really fascinates me about Pokemon Go, it's maybe the fact that this is the first augmented reality experience to really hit off to the mainstream in an absolutely bonkers way. I'm sure there's something to be said about the way AR is disrupting our physical realities, but I don't know what that quite is yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-629f1f5a477d3
deactivated-629f1f5a477d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Good article!

Ackbarguo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the article Janine!

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By Eribuster

Pokémon could be in college right now. It can legally vote.

Ah, life just keeps going. Actually, good on Nintendo and The Pokemon Company for keeping Pokemon steady for such a long time.

Good read.

Dirtyplatinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its an amazingly social thing.

Barely a game. And not even a good "barely a game".

Interesting read none-the-less.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice article, I feel a stronger sense of unity after reading that, which is a feeling that's needed more than ever with the recent tragedies that's been dividing people up. Thanks!

posaune79100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really glad these guest articles haven't petered out as much as I thought they might have after Austin left.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Very interesting article. Great work!!

bb4lake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article. It's probably just the Pokemon connection but this Pokemon go phenomenon reminds me of when Teitch Playd Pokemon got big, but on a real world scale. Everyone on the Internet was obsessed with TPP for a month or two there and then it faded away.

I hope Pokemon Go has some legs on it. It's a cool thing even if it's not an amazing game.

AJTsuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I have not heard much about is a wide-spread, renewed interest in the main games. My 15 year old nephew is now playing Alpha Sapphire because of Pokemon Go. My 30 year old neighbor is replaying original Red. A 50 year old friend asked me what would be the easiest way for him to experience the original games. Sun/Moon is now on the radar of a handful of other friends who probably wouldn't have given it a second look. Everywhere I go, kids are wearing Pokemon clothing. I swear we are about to experience a Pokemon Rennaissance that might extend the life of this series another decade.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny being the outlier, someone who isn't against the game but can't play it for the exact reason everyone is freaking out about it, I want to be left alone and this game encourages the exact opposite of that(which as I've said before is fantastic...just not for me). But the actual concept of it is interesting to me, part of me wants to install it and go for a bike ride and see what I find everywhere I usually go and then I remember all the stories I've heard of people coming up to others they see playing it and I just don't want that. So while I have nothing against the game, nor the people playing it, there is a bitterness that everyone is enjoying this cultural phenomenon that I am locked out of.

On the plus side I have been playing more Pokemon Yellow on my phone so at least I have some pokemon on my phone

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I love how terrible those pokemon look in the CBS news item.

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Another quality CBS product.

JonDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games being social was a very powerful thing that was mostly relegated to niche stuff like D&D and MUDs for decades.

Games like WOW brought the social aspect of gaming to the forefront, but they miss a key ingredient; people are terrible online and noone wants to deal with them.

With Pokemon Go if you are interacting with people you are doing so in real life, right? Kind of have to act like a human.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Nightmarish, I'd say.

Nice read.

ohhhdis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be curious to see how long the craze lasts, and what Nintendo's plans are for pushing that inevitability off as far as they can. Being that only the first generation of Pokemon are available for catching right now, I imagine at least gen 2 Pokemon will still be desirable to these fans the article talks about, the ones who have always been there and have been just waiting for resurgence. However, when the newer Pokemon come out, I worry that interest will quickly decline, but then again, new Pokemon card sets are still selling so...

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Just wanted to add my voice in saying, great article. Thank you.

frogtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What Pokemon Go teaches us is how many losers are out there.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently, had a friend who wanted to go for a walk in a nearby area saturated with pokestops because he wanted to hit them all and catch a bunch of pokemon on the way. The area was a large park with hiking trails, batting cages, and a skate park. I'd been playing a lot of competitive Overwatch and decided to go with him after playing with a bunch of jerks. As we walked the park and hit his stops we saw quite a bit of people of walking around with their phones out presumably with the same goal. These people ranged teenagers to adults. Even met a handful of people and had a lengthy discussion starting at Pokemon Go and expanding to video games in general. They don't go deep into video games like myself and my friend, but were still able to share a discussion about video games in general. All of them were really nice and the complete opposite of the type of people I'm used to hearing and seeing online. Served as a nice reminder to me about who plays video games in the modern world: people like myself, who often plays alongside their friends to have a good time. Cool stuff.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GundamGuru

Have you ever seen someone playing something on their phone on the bus and leaned over, only to notice that it was Candy Crush or something just as ubiquitous? Did you roll your eyes and lean back again? When you hear about Clash of Clans taking over schools, when you see high-budget, celebrity-stuffed Super Bowl ads for games you might only be vaguely aware of, do you sigh and shrug? Good on you if you don't (seriously!), but many of us have had those moments. I certainly have. There's an ugly natural impulse to look down on this kind of gaming for any number of reasons. Popularity, exploitative profit models, seeming lack of originality, they’re all marks against what is commonly understood as the present state of mobile gaming.

Except not? Is anybody besides me abstaining from Pokemon Go because of this exact eye-roll inducing feeling? As someone who has been a fan of the main Pokemon games since the initial craze, Pokemon Go just seems like cheap, cynical cash grab. And boy did it ever work.

I suppose the success of this seasons's Clash of Clans replacement would be easier to stomach if it wasn't a tie-in to a franchise I've loved since my childhood. A series that'd I'd love to play on my phone. One I'd love to play on the TV again. Oh, well. Nintendo is going to do what makes them the most money. Business is business.

I did enjoy article by the way. Very well written. Looking forward to more in the future.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What Pokemon Go teaches us is how many losers are out there.

Why? All it costs them is their time and money. And it's up to them to decide whether it's wasted or worth it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I don't play the game, I have no interest. But, it is interesting to see such widespread media and public attention on any game.

What troubles me however is the crude use of map data they seems to have used. It seems like anything that was a public park, musesum, statute, or monumnet was suddnely turned into gym...where that was appriate or not. Such slapdash mechancics seems wrong headed and unthinking, because United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Armenian Genocide Museusm, and statues of Nathan Bedford Forrest SHOULDN'Tbe dragged into a game for anyone -adults, kids, whomever. War memorials are not playgrounds and not every historical site listed in mapping data is apprioate as a Pokemon-gym.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm scared of how not good games have to be to be successful on mobile. We all know the power of name recognition and Brands™ but the social aspects are not to be underestimated.

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This is that Pokemon MMO that people have been chattering about for over a decade. Crappy gameplay but building a community (like MMOs used to do over a decade ago).

caleb1915

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By caleb1915

@freedom4556 said:

Except not? Is anybody besides me abstaining from Pokemon Go because of this exact eye-roll inducing feeling? As someone who has been a fan of the main Pokemon games since the initial craze, Pokemon Go just seems like cheap, cynical cash grab. And boy did it ever work.

I suppose the success of this seasons's Clash of Clans replacement would be easier to stomach if it wasn't a tie-in to a franchise I've loved since my childhood. A series that'd I'd love to play on my phone. One I'd love to play on the TV again. Oh, well. Nintendo is going to do what makes them the most money. Business is business.

I did enjoy article by the way. Very well written. Looking forward to more in the future.

For a cynical cash grab it sure isn't making me spend money, and the creators of this game met each other through video games so they understood it was more of a social engineering rather than an indepth game. It's a giant scavenger hunt, fuckin awesome with friends.

And also Sun/Moon is coming out in a couple of months, what's wrong with a mobile game being a tie-in to a franchise that you love(and yes it's possible that I love this franchise as much as you do growing up with the Red, Green, Blue, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Black, White, X, Y, the card game, the toys, the apparel, the anime, the movies I consumed all of it) not everything that has Pokemon on it has to actually be Pokemon, there's plenty of room.

Corvidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokémon go has honestly made me feel really isolated! Loads of people are very nearly into something I enjoy and are having a great time doing it. But I think the game sucks! Really sucks!

Them having fun without you has seldom been more visible. It's everywhere! And because a lot of the people playing think "gamer" = likes all games I get told so many stories! I don't identify as a "gamer" it's one of many hobbies!

I hope that is the lesson Pokémon go teaches. Just because someone likes some games doesn't make them a stereotype cookie cutter fit. But I don't think it's us Giant Bomb reader types who need that lesson!

Maybe there will be a game which I like that everyone is into. But then lots of people like Game of Thrones for the sex and violence so even with the same thing you can enjoy it on different levels and not be a part of the herd. I wish I liked Pokémon go. People sure seem to be having fun!

MissAshley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MissAshley

The unity I feel with other Pokémon Go players differs from the unity I feel at something like PAX or similar conventions. When I see people playing Pokémon Go, I think "Yay!," but at a convention I think "My people!"

I think this is odd considering how much more narrow the language of Pokémon is compared to the language of video games altogether.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Yeah. You could argue it gets kids into these places in the first place and offers the opportunity for them to learn some stuff. Unfortunately, its ruined if their motive for being there is to restock on Pokeballs.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Player1

Thanks for the write up, great article!

WrathOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Janine!

KingdanglerBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im lvl 21 with a beast of pokemons over 1000 cp already. i live by an outdoor mall which i call the cheat code. 15 pokestops all close tons of pides and weedles to quick level with evolve and double xp eggs.

kosayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By kosayn

Good read. I think Pokemon Go is is one of those watersheds we haven't had for a while, where a great big chunk more people start behaving like 'gamers.' They may have technically been people who played video games already - but now they're participants in a vast, multiplayer competitive and co-op game.

That's what makes this particular one NOT Candy Crush: Interaction. That makes it Diablo.

Of course, single player games can bring people to 'gamerhood,' too - with resonant story drawing them in, or controls needing to be mastered, or even a puzzle game with deep strategy that forces them to examine their gameplay choices. You can play Candy Crush seriously, but most people don't examine what they match next, or think a few steps ahead. It was the same with Tetris. Lots of players just do a thing, do a thing, do a thing. Idle Gaming.

It's a tough, controversial topic to define what a gamer is, and I know lots of us like to say there is no need for a distinction, and that anyone playing any game is the same thing.

But honestly, I think a lot of us can just instinctively tell the difference. Even as repetitious as it is, Pokemon Go is creating the experiences a traditional video game does.

People walking around at night in packs of 4-6 trying to complete a collection and dominate a gym is so clearly gamer behavior, not Idle Gaming. People hatching eggs on bikes... More skateboards than I've seen since the late 90s... I saw a guy out doing Tai Chi in the middle of the path one night... totally felt like it fit. This whole thing is surreal and affirming, I think, for a lot of us.

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

Great article, I enjoyed reading it.

Avatar image for officermeatbeef
officermeatbeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't play the game, I have no interest. But, it is interesting to see such widespread media and public attention on any game.

What troubles me however is the crude use of map data they seems to have used. It seems like anything that was a public park, musesum, statute, or monumnet was suddnely turned into gym...where that was appriate or not. Such slapdash mechancics seems wrong headed and unthinking, because United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Armenian Genocide Museusm, and statues of Nathan Bedford Forrest SHOULDN'Tbe dragged into a game for anyone -adults, kids, whomever. War memorials are not playgrounds and not every historical site listed in mapping data is apprioate as a Pokemon-gym.

First, some perspective.

I was visiting my hometown of 11,000 people last week in nowhere Saskatchewan and found several gyms and stops. My family made a brief pilgrimage to the birthplace of my grandmother a few hundred km away, a town of about 90 people, and I was shocked to find 2 pokestops there. No gym though. None of them happened to be objectionable; the things you list can be gyms, but there's no guarantee they will be.

Should places like those you listed be gyms? No, probably not. Pokestops? That's a bit more gray; as far as the game is concerned they're literally just landmarks you are encouraged to seek out for a few items, with no "fighting" over territory, and one could absolutely argue the positive effect of making people aware of these things and drawing them towards checking them out.

But I'd argue there's nothing particularly "wrong-headed or unthinking" about their placement, except inasmuch as there's really no "head or "thinking" involved: there's no human trawling every small town or village or hermit cave across the world map placing these things. It's all being done algorithmically by a computer, because that's the only feasible way to populate the world with this stuff, and there aren't really any good algorithms for a computer to determine whether a place is "appropriate" for a gym or not.

Unfortunately, this means places inappropriate for the game will be marked as gyms etc. sometimes, but the only realistic solution for that is to have these exceptions removed/blacklisted on a case-by-case basis. Because the alternative is a human vetting every single bit of location data in every inch of the map world-wide to ensure it's an appropriate place for a game element, and not only is that simply pretty unrealistic, it would ensure places like my 11k city and 90 person town would simply never be integrated into the game at all.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

kazen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks! what a cool read!

Buffalol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Buffalol

100% agree on the whole sense of community this game has created, from friendly rivalries between the three teams, to sparking up delightful conversations about PokemonGo/other games. Enjoyable article!

XenturiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 19

Great article. Thanks for the insight!