What if the events were real...

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

... and Walker would survive Dubai, I mean, in our reality, what would happen to him?

I'm not familiar with military law, but considering what he did, would he be imprisoned, sent to a mental asylum, or just dishonorably discharged? I know a lot of people get away with their war crimes, and most (if not all) people in Dubai would be dead, but I think the military could reconstruct that Walkers actions lead to the demise... anyone know how this would be handled? Just curious :D

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Wait... didn't you leave for a different site or something so you could better manage your lists? As for the topic at hand, though, I could only wager a guess that he'd probably be seen to by mental health professionals.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Morrow

@yummylee: Nah ah, I never said I'd leave the site :P At one point I was asking if anyone knows a site that combines entertainment interests (movies, books, music), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't come here anymore. April/May/June are busy months for me because of my job, so me being absent is ordinary. My motivation to visit the site more frequently will come back once they re-implented the achievement tracking :D

I'm still lurking around :D

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mrfluke
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@morrow: apparently still playing Spec Ops!

Best case scenario he would be dishonorably discharged from service. Worst case scenario he would be court martialed and tried as a criminal with prison time on the line.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Actually, I haven't played it for some time, but it just won't go out of my head :P

I was guessing so, but I wonder, would he really go to prison with all the trauma he had? Usually people go to a mental hospital for less. I could also imagine the military would sweep it under the carpet to avoid the public reaction...

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Kidable

Well, if it was the ending where he doesn't put down the gun and kills every soldier that came to rescue him, ehhh...life imprisonment?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morrow

@kidable said:

Well, if it was the ending where he doesn't put down the gun and kills every soldier that came to rescue him, ehhh...life imprisonment?

Probably death sentence depending on the state he's judged in :P But I mean the "good ending" where the soldier's come to pick him up.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@morrow: I'm no lawyer and it's all a highly hypothetical situation but I'm theorizing that it would all depend on if they decided that he made several bad decisions before or after he was emotionally compromised. Also I assume it would be up to him and his defense lawyer to argue an insanity plea as opposed to a solid strenuous circumstances defense.

Granted this is all based off my intense knowledge of the law garnered from watching a lot of movies.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I see :D Well thanks for your input ^^

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@morrow said:

@kidable said:

Probably death sentence depending on the state he's judged in :P But I mean the "good ending" where the soldier's come to pick him up.

I don't think the state matters in military court.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Winternet

They would probably send a task force to deal with him.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BisonHero

The defense could probably make the case that it was dangerous and irresponsible in the first place to send a team of three dudes to recon a ruined city where an entire battalion of soldiers had gone rogue. Granted, they couldn't have known that hostility had elevated to such a level, but still, a trio of dudes is not enough dudes to send into a potentially hostile situation unless they're 40K Space Marines.

I don't know if "command fucked up and didn't send nearly enough soldiers on the mission so of course the three guys got overstressed and made poor judgment calls/had mental breakdowns" is a valid defense in military court.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

War crimes committed by an individual are virtually impossible to get away with and typically lead to life in prison or execution. But he would most likely be in locked in a criminally insane asylum. Not that I'm a lawyer.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Huh... I can't imagine him not going to prison for something. Something he did had to have been illegal, for sure, right? He disobeyed orders, that's for sure, which led to a ton of bad shit happening. I imagine that would come down on him.. Also I can't imagine him not getting some sort of psychiatric treatment.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@morrow: More emoticons in your posts, please.

Also, I have no idea. One of the endings involves Walker being rescued and everything seemed cool. Maybe not for Walker, but you know.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morrow: More emoticons in your posts, please.

Also, I have no idea. One of the endings involves Walker being rescued and everything seemed cool. Maybe not for Walker, but you know.

Ok :D

Well it's heavily implied that Walker died in the helicopter crash in the beginning of the game, and what you play through is Walker's personal hell, so even the "good" ending could be just a halluzination...

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I just finished the game so thought I would chime in.

I would say that Walker would be looking at years of continuous therapy etc etc. As for legal action against him, absolutely nothing.

There is no evidence against him. Everyone who saw any of it is dead. Anything that he did against the 33rd would be disregarded anyway as in the eyes of the military they are traitors.

For reference to a sort of similar real world example, look at what happened to Lieutenant Calley in Vietnam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre). The guy, along with his squad, massacred a few hundred Vietnamese civilians, in full view of a reported who documented the whole thing (including taking photos). Calley was the only one charged with any crime and he received a harsh prison sentence but it was almost immediately reduced down to just a few years. None of his squad or his commanding officers were ever charged. So that's what happened to a guy who wasn't suffering from PTSD and that they had all the evidence they could ever want against.