Splatoon Strategy

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm enjoying Splatoon and was wondering if anybody wanted to discuss great strategies for how to win.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

Wait, is this game out already? I didn't even know that. Not interested in it really, but still.

Edit - Oh, it came out yesterday.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try to pay attention to your screen, and cover all of those small bits that ALL OF YOU GUYS LOVE leaving on the map... This is a game to be OCD with, go all out, and only play to your strengths.

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have noticed how my teammates will leave big spaces un-inked close to the spawn area. You gotta make sure to cover as much ground as possible.

Avatar image for themightyskullboy
TheMightySkullboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, keep an eye on the mini-map and try to go areas that nobody is covering. If your team is busy pushing straight up the middle, see if you can branch off on a side path and cover a lot of area that nobody notices.

If you're in a fight, try to disappear up a wall. A lot of people still just pay attention to ground and other elevated platforms, but overlook the vertical planes. If they run by, get the drop on them from behind!

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think you mean SPLATegy

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By katpottz

When an enemy spawns at another enemy's location there will be a circle icon on the ground where they are going to land that can be seen while on foot. This rule applies even when the enemy which another enemy spawns on dies while they are in transit to the enemy's location, so if you see one of these circles while on foot get ready to be served up a free kill. This has happened to me very rarely but it sure is cool when it happens.

also 3 tips for using the kraken:

when exiting kraken form your ink tank will be completely refilled.

you can't beat a kraken so when engaged in a kraken vs kraken dual the last person to have popped their special is the one who is going to win.

while its tempting to dive deep into enemy territory while in kraken form just make sure that you don't stick around there too long as its easy to forget how much meter you have left and end up surrounded once your in inkling form again.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The super jump, by tapping on a friendly players' icon on the gamepad, is not reserved for use just when you respawn, you can use it at any time. So you can quickly jump around the map to a player in trouble or any easy area to contest.

Also, the super jump can be used to return to home base. So if an enemy gets behind your line you can loop back and clean up without waiting for death.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let people get tunnel vision by getting caught in firefights in the middle of the map and just ignore all of that and gleefully paint everything behind them until they realize.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By katpottz

you can execute a quick 180 turn by holding downwards on the analogue stick and pressing y.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kraken/Roller seems to be extremely good. Roll to cover the area, swing the roller or Kraken to waste fools.

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We got put on the weekly spotlight. Sweet!

smeffw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good strategy is to not ink your base at the start of the match. Wait until you die and respawn to paint your side.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only level 8, so still early days, but I seem to be having the most success with the roller. It just plows so much paint down so quickly. Trying to get perks on my equipment that increase the recharge speed whilst squidding, so that I can keep moving. If anybody with range comes towards you, try backing out round a corner and ambushing. If it's another roller, jump to get that bit extra length on attack and flick paint their way.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'd say a general strategy is if you can choose between painting blank space and covering your enemy's territory, always cover their territory. It'll help bring down your enemy's percentage AND increase your own.

Also if using the roller, follow the enemy's roller, but don't get close enough to where he'd know you're there. Just undo all the work he's down without him realizing it :P

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

For Turf War, the more savage play is to have your team rush the bad guy's side as fast as possible to see if you can shut the bad guys down. While it depends on the map and your play style, the popular weapon choices are shooters with high rates of fire. Some of the maps don't seem to offer much in alternate lanes to offset a strong rival team with accurate shooters. If you find yourself fighting against a shut down play, do your best to break the line, sneak in to the other side, and hope a team mate decides to jump to you.

For Splat Zones (Ranked Battle), mid-to-long range shooters and chargers appear to be the top way to go. Close range shooters and rollers can get work done in some situations, but they seem to have so much trouble dealing with longer range shooters and chargers that have any sort of elevation over the Splat Zones. The key thought process to have in Splat Zones as opposed to other King-of-the-Hill modes is that you ink needs to be on the zone but your inkling doesn't have to be. You only need to cover a neutral zone with a certain amount of ink (feels like 75-90%) in to make your team's so it's okay to miss a few spots.

Lastly, keep in mind that you can Super Jump to team mates or back to your spawn point at any time. If you see a team mate that needs help in an area, you can go to them at anytime, anywhere. Or, if you're cornered or have a ink strike coming on top of your head, you can use a Super Jump to save your inkling if you are fast to tap in the jump.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just pay attention to the large northern(?) square area of Saltspray Rig. Please