Who's picked this up? How are you liking it?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I bought the disc version of Super Mario 3D World tonight and just finished the first world. As someone that didn't play much of 3D Land, I'm really enjoying it so far. Aside from the first of those no-jumping Toad stages, I've played as Peach exclusively so far and, while the first world isn't really challenging, it's definitely got enough to at least keep me on my toes. The only two times I've died so far were due to my own foolishness in falling off of the world. The cat suit is a lot of fun to use, but the fire flower has its own benefits, as well, like being able to throw them through pipes to take out dudes waiting on the other side.

I need more time to really form coherent thoughts on the game, other than to say holy shit guys, I am really enjoying it and you really should play it.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ya I'm loving it and my 3 year old is enamoured with cat mario

Daddy you want to play cat mario

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm up to 4-1 now and I'm having a blast. Haven't seen a level I didn't like - at least not yet. It's beautiful, every level seems to bring something new and fun, and it's all just bursting with charm and personality.

I've mostly been using the Pro controller, but wiimote + nunchuk is surprisingly comfortable. I've actually gotten my mother to play a few levels with me, and that method seems to work well for her. In any case, it's nice to see that it supports practically every controller configuration the WiiU recognizes.

One odd quirk on my part - in the rare moments I play on the gamepad screen, I keep forgetting that I'm not looking at a 3DS game and wondering why the 3D's not working.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's pretty damn great so far and I'm about to enter the World 4. The cat suit is an excellent power-up and those bits of nostalgia always make me smile. It's always the subtle touches and those one-off moments that are great like Kuribo's Skate.

And the music. It's not quite up to Galaxy standards, but still amazing.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I am in fucking love with the game. Have 271 green stars so I've gotten pretty damn far in the game (I think there is one more world to unlock but I'm guessing I need to 100% everything lol). Anyways, the brilliant level design, visuals, and soundtrack are jaw-dropping good. The power-ups fit in nicely and the way the cat-suit adds a level of verticality that really adds a nice touch to the mechanics. The latter portions have provided quite the challenge but it is so damn rewarding and no level overstays its welcome with the pace of the game.

I'm just sitting in a certain world letting the violin play. It's a surreal feeling once you hit this world. Best music in the game for me.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@doskias said:

I've mostly been using the Pro controller, but wiimote + nunchuk is surprisingly comfortable.

Oh, word? I hadn't even considered the nunchuk. I was worried I'd have to shell out for a bunch of Pro controllers or saddle my friends with D-pad control.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Me and my brother have been enjoying it. We just got into the fifth world. The game looks beautiful and some of the levels are really really fantastic. I like how they don't feel the need to have every level in a world have the same aesthetic.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The post game world is a doozy.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Done the first two worlds, it's a great game.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Up to world 7 and I've enjoyed it so far. The first couple of worlds are way too easy but it gets more challenging soon after. The hardest parts are collecting everything in a stage.
The bad parts include: Boss stages that look waaay to similar to each other, no consistent theme in the overworld levels, and some issues with the eight-way control (instead of full 360 degree movement).

Otherwise it play great and looks fantastic, I would play for much longer stretches at a time if the WiiU controller lasted longer.

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's better than Super Mario Boring Land.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll let you know as soon as I can wrestle the controller away from Mrs. oldenglishC. She usually sticks to adventure and puzzle games, but she's been bogarting the Wii U ever since I downloaded this. The three levels I have got to play have been ridiculously good. I usually give up collecting all the stars about half way through a Mario game, but going by the small amount I've played, this game is going to be different.

Plus it's 1080p at 60fps. Apparently, that's how the internet can tell the difference between a good and bad game these days.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing 2 player co-op, and a game on my own. LOVING it. It took my girl a little bit to get used to Mario in a 3D space. (we have been playing a lot of MarioU lately) Her comment was that they moved too slow. I dont think she was pushing the sprint button when she plays.

Anyway, this game makes me proud and very glad to be a WiiU owner.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doskias said:

I've mostly been using the Pro controller, but wiimote + nunchuk is surprisingly comfortable.

Oh, word? I hadn't even considered the nunchuk. I was worried I'd have to shell out for a bunch of Pro controllers or saddle my friends with D-pad control.

Yep. A button is jump, B trigger is run/ability, z trigger is butt stomp.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

I've played through five worlds and so far I think it's the best Mario game since Galaxy 2 and probably one of the best 3D Mario games ever.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loving it. Trying to 100% it now.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude it really is great. Such a blast.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yo dawg, you like Mario? You like gettin super mushrooms and squishing goombas and whatnot?

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got the first 6 worlds 100%. I'm sure the last few ones are going to make me cry.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By triumvir

I picked it up while I was passing through the mall on Saturday. But I am so busy that I probably won't get a chance to play it till sometime after December 10th.

I'm kinda bummed about it. I'm sure it's really fantastic.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

Is there anybody here playing it that DIDN'T like Mario Galaxy? I think this game looks great but I also thought Galaxy looked great and that game was just not for me. I know there's not many of us but I'd love to hear an opinion from someone who didn't like Galaxy. I'd also be curious to hear if this game has any level if difficulty?

Also, despite giving it four chances already, seeing 3D World makes me want to give Galaxy yet another try. I'm still convinced there's a time and a place that one day that game will click for me in a big way and I'll go "AHHHHHHHH! I GET IT! I FINALLY GET IT!!".

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to stop at the final world. That place is fucking ruthless.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been playing the game over the last three days and it has been rather wonderful. I love all the Mii-Verse hooks. They somehow figured out how to have other people playing the game interact with the world without it being annoying. Some of those stamp created images I have seen have been hilariously offensive.

The levels are just wow. The creativity in some of the stages is much, much larger in scope than 3D Land and the way it just throws you these seemingly one off gimmicks on certain levels is brilliant. I have found most of the levels pretty easy to complete though. I am at world seven and only the level with the nightmarish looking clouds blowing wind and Red-Hot Run have been a real challenge. Getting some of the stars and stamps have been pretty devious also. I think most of my deaths have come from trying to explore for all of the collectibles.

In the case of RHR though I found it to be the first misstep in the game due to the way the pads instantly shoot you off into the distance. It's obviously meant to be a really challenging level,(that second star jhvioyushnjrinhfuckijhfpuiof!) but the way it sometimes shoots you off at angles can feel really unfair.... that said, if my first issue with the game was in the seemingly "final" world that says a lot about how good the rest of the game is.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I finally started it yesterday after having downloaded it on release.

Easily my favorite Mario game since 64. There is no game I can think of in recent years that I can point to and just say "pure fun" like this one.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd also like to add that while I really like the merging of the 2D and 3D elements of Mario, I really wish Nintendo would make one more world-based Mario game like 64 or Sunshine, where each level has multiple stars and each attempt changes up the level in it's own way. I liked exploring those huge environments and I kind of miss that. Then again, this game is basically just a whole game made up of those awesome challenge levels from Mario Sunshine so I really can't complain.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really tempted by this game, but hesitant because I don't usually like most console games. Am I the only one that was confused by the name? When I saw the name Super Mario 3D World, I had thought that meant it would be a 3DS game, not a Wii U game.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By mclargepants

I just started into the bonus world and I'm not a fan. I should say I'm playing it by myself, and I've been trying to collect everything that I notice, so I've played a good fair bit. And aside from a few brilliant levels, it's just not fun. I feel like you don't have good enough control over your character, or a good view of the action compared to how challenging the stages can get. I almost want to play it on 3DS because with 3D on I think I would have a much better time navigating the world. I also really hate how for a fair number of the stars and stamps you need powerups that are not present in the level at all. Each level should be able to be completed %100 regardless of how you start it, and bringing in other powerups should only make it easier (which is a compromise I'm willing to make, I much prefer the limited use of powerups in Galaxy and such, but that's just not the type of game this is so it makes sense here).

Weirdly enough, I think I had more fun with NSMBU. Again I've only beaten 3 of the bonus stages, but the ones so far don't fix my basic problems with the game, and in fact in a lot of cases exacerbate the problems.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@mclargepants: I agree with most of that. The camera has its moments of making it really tough to gauge where you are in relation to something, it's the biggest issue I have with the game.

I'm still enjoying getting through it and collecting everything, but the mix of the game not really being all that challenging and when it is, it becomes frustrating because of something like the controls/camera angle definetly sours the experience.

I still prefer the power-up as "Actual power-up that carry through from level to level rather than being a stage gimmick" system they have in this game, but I admit I also find myself wishing they could have built more levels around the idea that you always had the Catsuit.

Also yeah, having to go outside the level into another just to get a power-up you need to get a specific collectible is not fun.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By big_jon

I've been away for about a week, just have my Xbox one to play, I am jonesing for Mario 3D world right now.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's awesome!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got around to finishing the game last night (save for the extra world), and it is easily the most captivating time I've had with a Mario game in many, many years. Games like this always feature those few levels you absolutely despise and don't wish to play more than is necessary, but I can only count one stage in the entire game as being that way for me. The variety, the goofy references to things like Mario Kart, the fact that I can play as the entire Super Mario Bros. 2 cast, cat goombas. CAT GOOMBAS.

And the whole presentation is just so charming. The plot is simple as Mario games tend to be; Bowser is a jerk and kidnaps sprixies, Mario and company run through stages to save them. But the colorful graphics and the way that the few moments of cutscenes evoke so much personality is a wonderful thing. The same goes for the music, which ranges from straight-on riffs of old Mario tunes to the newer themes and fanfares. This is a game that's definitely going to be among my favorites in years to come.

Fantus1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like it but I feel it leans to much on Galaxy & 3D land. I think I would of preferred something different

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hailinel said:

The same goes for the music, which ranges from straight-on riffs of old Mario tunes to the newer themes and fanfares. This is a game that's definitely going to be among my favorites in years to come.

Regarding the music, are there some orchestrated pieces like with the Galaxy series? I'm trying to avoid watching as much footage as possible so that it's fresh whenever I get a chance to play it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hailinel said:

Games like this always feature those few levels you absolutely despise and don't wish to play more than is necessary, but I can only count one stage in the entire game as being that way for me.

Which stage was it? I couldn't stand that grumbleblock (?) stage. It felt a little unfair at times due to the way the blocks rotated and slid down the lava. It was one of the only times I felt overly frustrated by the game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel

@gunstarred: That would be the one. The latter half of the stage in particular is just frustrating. Can't say the same regarding any other part of the game, though.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Scampbell

As the first game I've bought for my Wii U, I think is fantastic. It is like the game reinvents itself after each level, each successive level feels new and not just a new layout for the same theme. It might not be too challenging so far, but I'm playing to have fun, and it got spades of that.