The Crew to run at 30 fps on PC

schnoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By schnoo

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/911974-Disappointing?s=a8a6058ea0ca1be017076896a7092587&p=10184062&viewfull=1#post10184062

So apparently this racing game will run at 30 fps and will not support resolutions higher than 1080p on the PC. What is Ubisoft thinking?

Maybe we'll see some amazing bugs when people figure out how to unlock the frame rate like we did for the Need for speed game.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Okay, I'm definitely out now. Really don't have any faith left for this one.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Stuff like that never seems to last very long; the people always find a way. Though it is sort of comical how consistently butchered Ubisoft's PC ports are. Though I'm to believe their Splinter Cell: Blacklist PC version was very good.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why am i not surprised?

Far cry 3 was actually quite the decent port. Wonder what happened?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By abendlaender

30 FPS for a racing game? SURE, SEEMS LIKE A GREAT IDEA!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@schnoo said:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/911974-Disappointing?s=a8a6058ea0ca1be017076896a7092587&p=10184062&viewfull=1#post10184062

So apparently this racing game will run at 30 fps and will not support resolutions higher than 1080p on the PC. What is Ubisoft thinking?

Maybe we'll see some amazing bugs when people figure out how to unlock the frame rate like we did for the Need for speed game.

Give us that .ini file. We'll fix this.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PC Racing Game. Locked to 30 FPS

No Caption Provided
T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God dammit Ubisoft get your pc ports in order.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In before someone modifies a .ini file to change that.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This just a couple weeks after Ubisoft said they were gonna be more committed to their PC ports in the future. Good stuff.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I can extra not buy the game!

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wonder if this'll be the case for the final release despite what this person said. In the settings, under video, there is a fps limiter that's set to 30 and greyed out. I wonder if this'll be an option you can change later on as it seems odd to even have it there at all if you cannot change it.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Mcfart

After AC4, Ubi decided to invest less in PC ports.

I guess their PC games don't sell well, and they don't care to improve that. Great, less reasons to need Uplay.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's a bit odd. As @mrcraggle said, there's totally a greyed out switch in the options menu in the beta. That said it's pretty easy to change it in the .ini file. Cutscenes looks a bit wobbly though.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By monetarydread

@mrcraggle: You can manually change the game to 60fps by changing an ini file. The game's physics are designed around 30fps and apparently the physics engine gets all messed up if you unlock the frame rate.

This is a beta, so things could be fixed in time, but this is probably just a limitation in the engine. There are lots of games on PC that limit themselves this way, and it is not inherrently the worst decision. If every version is designed to work at 30fps, then you cannot just run a game at twice the framerate, it tends to screw things up. Just look at Dark Souls on PC, you can technically mod the game to run at 60fps, but the animations look weird, players start sliding through the geometry, your roll animation is shorter, and there are various environmental impact issues. Sometimes a PC port is not worth rewriting the game engine to work differently.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

Hopefully this gets fixed in time. Though, if they're still only -targeting- 60 and 1080p at best, that is bound to disappoint many people on PC. I can hardly imagine a scenario where they release a modern PC game with a 1080p max. If Soda Drinker Pro can get higher than 1080p, so can a Ubisoft game.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@monetarydread: I tried the last beta at 60 and it was a lot smoother but it made the game super unstable. Playing this at 30 actually makes me feel sick. If their engine can't do 1080p with 60fps, they need to do something to fix that, especially as other racing games will come out with those targets and look nicer as it's not even that graphically intensive of a game. The car models are simple and the world itself feels quite bland and lifeless despite the variety in the landscapes.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By monetarydread

@mrcraggle: But almost all other racing games have a narrower scope than The Crew. Fact, open world games are a lot more system intensive than a small track, so a closed circuit racing game (like Forza, GT, or GRID) will always look nicer and run smoother because there is less computations that need to happen . I am not saying that I wouldn't prefer 1080p 60, but the new systems are not powerful enough for that to be a reality for the majority of games this generation (I feel bad for anyone who was duped into believing this to be a reality for next-gen gaming).

THough despite my stance of 60fps, the whole lack of resolutions greater than 1080p is bullshit. That needs to get fixed.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ubisoft hates PC. Oh well, I was done with Ubi after Watch_Dogs, so meh.