User Lists: 0

What does this mean exactly?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yeah I don't get what that means. They could update the One with 360 backwards compatibility?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

sounds like you can hook your 360 straight into the one and access it that way.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At that point, why wouldn't you just hook up your 360 to your TV, since you still need a console to play the games.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If you still need to plug it all in anyway then what's the point of bolting on?

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrimsonJesus

1. My 360 is so old it doesn't have HDMI. :(

2. Why didn't they announce this at their conference? Could have gotten some support for themselves with that.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think it's to use the Xone as a receiver to manage multiple devices. But unless I ran out of inputs on the TV, it makes a lot more sense to only run two power hungry devices not three.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

If this is what it sounds like from the thread title, didn't Vinny totally call this?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jdh5153

Pretty sweet. Even more excited for my Xbox One to arrive every day.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azteck said:

At that point, why wouldn't you just hook up your 360 to your TV, since you still need a console to play the games.

Some people, like myself, have only a few HDMI inputs. Having an input on the back would negate having to remove wires from the back of the TV every time you want to play 360 games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@xyzygy: @connerthekewlkid: Backwards compatibility requires hardware so they will not be able to bring it in with a software update. Maybe with cloud servers like in the PS4 with Gaikai.

A more realistic option would be to play your 360 games on your One by having your old Xbox 360 communicate with the One through your home LAN or HDMI. Theoretically you could play old games through the One with the One controller without touching your 360 except to change discs.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rebgav

I think it means that you could plug a 360 into the HDMI IN instead of a cable box. You could have total backwards compatibility by owning both systems!

Maybe down the road they put out that 360 Mini with an HDMI pass-through for your cable box and you could daisy-chain all of your hardware together in a really sad, silly way.

The actual answer to the question of whether you can plug the 360 into the One was "I think that those are great ideas and we should talk about them more in the future."

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rebgav

Ugh, my reply did not post.

Yes it did. God damn it GB Forum, make up your MIND.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't the Xbox One only have one HDMI input? If you hooked it up to the 360, you wouldn't be able to use the tv bullshit without switching cables around, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a simple, all in one entertainment box.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If you have to hook up a 360 via HDMI to your Xbox One to play 360 games, why not just hook your 360 up to your TV?

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scrawnto

If you have to hook up a 360 via HDMI to your Xbox One to play 360 games, why not just hook your 360 up to your TV?

It might be able to pass through kinect and/or controller input too, so you wouldn't have to keep around a 360 controller or kinect. HDMI can send data both ways.

Of course, that's rampant speculation, but it's an interesting thought.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this makes sense. Short of actual backwards compatibility, this is a pretty good solution, as it frees up an HDMI port on your TV/receiver, and could potentially streamline the process of playing 360 games (not having to change inputs, controllers, etc.).

I'm not too jazzed about the Xbone myself, and vastly prefer the PS4 at this point, but hey haters? There's nothing to hate here. Not every little thing about Xbone is awful.

Pachtar_Klepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pachtar_Klepek

Running 2 consoles just to play some shitty XBLA game?

Now you kids are stretching.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even better, pass your PS4 through it. Xbox, go to Playstation! *red ring*

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By captain_clayman

That's neat, it's a shame the xbox one still has so many things horribly wrong with it.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rebgav

Yeah, this makes sense. Short of actual backwards compatibility, this is a pretty good solution, as it frees up an HDMI port on your TV/receiver, and could potentially streamline the process of playing 360 games (not having to change inputs, controllers, etc.).

I'm not too jazzed about the Xbone myself, and vastly prefer the PS4 at this point, but hey haters? There's nothing to hate here. Not every little thing about Xbone is awful.

Though it should be noted that the console does not actually have this functionality and that the thread title is misleading.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Xbox play Xbox 360?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@xyzygy said:

@azteck said:

Some people, like myself, have only a few HDMI inputs. Having an input on the back would negate having to remove wires from the back of the TV every time you want to play 360 games.

That and im sure features and apps for the XBONE could potentially be overlayed on the screen, and maybe some options to improve the image quality like the PS3 does with old games. Not a major thing but could be somewhat useful for twitch and such.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PillClinton

@rebgav said:

@pillclinton said:

Though it should be noted that the console does not actually have this functionality and that the thread title is misleading.

Has this been confirmed either way though? Sure, the rep in the video definitely didn't say it's a feature, but that functionality could theoretically be added later via software update I assume. If they were really smart, it would have that full pass-through functionality 100%, although I kind of doubt they are. It could very well be nothing more than a straight dumb video pass-through, but I doubt it is if apparently it's able to pull in all that TV data through that port. Controller inputs and stuff, though, could be a whole other story.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@azteck said:

An HDMI switch is a far cheaper, more elegant solution.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

@reisz said:

@xyzygy said:

@azteck said:

Yeah, for people who don't plan on buying a One.

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@reisz said:

@xyzygy said:

@azteck said:

Even if you get a XOne, you'd still need the HDMI switch to choose between 360 and cable box.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys realize this is the opposite of what Backward Compatibility means right? This is not that. This is playing your 360 by hooking it up to your Xbox one, JUST FUCKING HOOK IT UP TO YOUR TV THEN?!?. This is getting idiotic. The saddest part of all this is that if Sony is a run away success like it is looking right now. They WILL become ps3 Sony again and non of us want that. Desperate Sony is best Sony. Get your shit together Microsoft.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I do not understand why people keep going on about this. If you're plugging the 360 in, why on earth would I want or need to then add an extra cable to pass it through my Xbox One? Why don't I just connect the 360 directly to my TV at that point? This is a dumb and silly idea that has sprung up over the past few weeks.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stack your new slim 360 on top of the Xone to create the next evolution of the Power Base Convertor.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By reisz

@creamypies: @shinjin977: I think what people like here is that you would be able to play your old 360 stuff using the Xbox One controller. Which is kind of cool but the better solution there would be to make the 360 pick up the signal from the new controller. Since there's only one HDMI in on the back of the box it would be smarter to plug the 360 directly into the TV (or HDMI switch if your TV inputs are full) So you could still benefit from the cable box management, if you have cable.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shinjin977

@reisz: Apologies that was not really directed at anyone here more like I am baffled at what the hell Microsoft is doing. Sony needs competitions to be the current Sony and from the look of it, they have non.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That is both useless and somewhat hilarious.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keris said:

@xyzygy said:

@reisz said:

@xyzygy said:

@azteck said:

Even if you get a XOne, you'd still need the HDMI switch to choose between 360 and cable box.

That's true but it will still cut down on having to switch at all between Xboxes. And for some people who won't be using a cable box, will be eliminate switching entirely. It's obviously not a major feature but it's still welcome.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a serious note, why not just play on your 360? Is the benefit of doing this to have the XBONE overlay and using one less HDMI input on your TV?

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

On a serious note, why not just play on your 360? Is the benefit of doing this to have the XBONE overlay and using one less HDMI input on your TV?

Yeah, basically, and it's just kinda cool when big tech companies go the extra mile for not-totally-necessary tech just for the hell of it. People have to remember (not directing this at you here), the PS4 lacks back compat too. MS adding that bit of extra flair to their lack of back compat isn't anything bad; it would just be an extra little something. I don't know, I like goofy tech stuff like this, 'cause yeah, the whole concept is pretty goofy.

Damn, I feel like I've become the Xbox fanboy in this thread, and I'm SO not.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

Yeah, basically, and it's just kinda cool when big tech companies go the extra mile for not-totally-necessary tech just for the hell of it. People have to remember (not directing this at you here), the PS4 lacks back compat too. MS adding that bit of extra flair to their lack of back compat isn't anything bad; it would just be an extra little something. I don't know, I like goofy tech stuff like this, 'cause yeah, the whole concept is pretty goofy.

Damn, I feel like I've become the Xbox fanboy in this thread, and I'm SO not.

PS4 lacks backwards compatibility but they seem much better about releasing older games on PSN. And if they can deliver with their streaming PSN games idea, then that would be pretty cool.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure the idea sounds kinda cool in a silly way but after watching the video I'm pretty sure the thread title really be "Another Microsoft exec gives a non-answer while wearing a shit-eating grin."

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well the shit-eating grin Exec did point out that the new 360 had a smaller form-factor. Perhaps they're planning on a future Xbone that will house the 360 tech (in smaller form factor) in tandem with the Xbone, perhaps as a concession for those of us who want to run their 360 shit inside the Xbone. I imagine it might be like that chip that the PS3 had for running PS2 games in the past. They probably can't do it yet because they're waiting on further miniaturization which isn't here yet.

Slave driving the 360 from an Xbone sounds kinda stupid & would only make sense if the 360 itself was dead & gone. I have two of them (an Elite & an old white box) that are fully functional & working perfectly today.

It gives me hope but I won't go all in on an Xbone until they tell me backwards compatibility is on the way or they finally get off their high horse & deliver it.