Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

Forza Horizon takes the racing off the track and drops it into an open world full of various activities.

I like lots of customization and tuning. Is this game for me?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

Hello all.

Need For Speed: Carbon is the only racing game I've played with any seriousness and admiration. I've since sold that, and with Forza Horizon and Need For Speed: Most Wanted II releasing these past couple of weeks, I'm feeling a bit curious about possibly jumping into one.

Now, I like customization. I like tuning. I like swapping body modifications, dropping in different engines, swapping tires and rims and customizing the colors on my car(s). I also like arcade-style racing, (I don't like weighty racing engines like Need For Speed; Hot Pursuit used). Simply put: is Forza Horizon the game for me?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I thought Jeff said there wasn't much of that in this game?

Besides, if those are the things you really want then it seems like Forza 4 would be the way to go if you've never dived into that series.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalm

Thanks for missing the entire point of my OP. In short, I'm not looking to dive into the Forza series. I'm looking to see if Forza Horizon has what I enjoy in a racing game. If not, I'll go back to a previous Need For Speed game. Track racing is also the worst thing ever.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

If you like body kits or whatever, then yeah I don't think any game is going to meet your demand. There are some in Forza Horizon, but they're not great. However the game does have a lot of options for rims and you can swap engine parts, or entire engines to a degree.

@Napalm said:

Thanks for missing the entire point of my OP. In short, I'm not looking to dive into the Forza series. I'm looking to see if Forza Horizon has what I enjoy in a racing game. If not, I'll go back to a previous Need For Speed game. Track racing is also the worst thing ever.

Gross, yo. Track racing should be the only kind of racing. As much as I like Horizon, it's not a great sim.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JasonR86

@Napalm:

As far as I know you can still customize almost to the same extent as you could in Forza 4.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm

@MikkaQ said:

Track racing should be the only kind of racing. As much as I like Horizon, it's not a great sim.

I'm not looking for a sim.

I'm not looking for massive amounts of customization exclusively. I am looking for the ability to play around with parts of my car and not just be limited to, 'Rim Style A' and 'Rim Style B' and 'Engine 1 or 2' or 'Paint Color B and C'.

Also, nobody has mentioned how the driving feels. Is it arcade-y and slide-y? Or does it feel like Hot Pursuit, (slow and chunky)?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zombie2011

@Napalm: Read Jeff's review, he answers most your questions in there.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

@zombie2011 said:

@Napalm: Read Jeff's review, he answers most your questions in there.

I already did, and no he doesn't.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

@Napalm said:

@MikkaQ said:

Track racing should be the only kind of racing. As much as I like Horizon, it's not a great sim.

I'm not looking for massive amounts of customization exclusively. I am looking for the ability to play around with parts of my car and not just be limited to, 'Rim Style A' and 'Rim Style B' and 'Engine 1 or 2' or 'Paint Color B and C'.

Also, nobody has mentioned how the driving feels. Is it arcade-y and slide-y? Or does it feel like Hot Pursuit, (slow and chunky)?

Well it's simmy, so it handles like actual cars, for the most part. I mean it handles exactly like other Forza games do, the driving itself is untouched, so if you don't like sim racing games, it might not feel right for you.

For engine parts, almost every individual part is swappable (usually a stock, street, pro style of choice), plus you can do entire engine conversions on certain cars, which you can usually choose maybe 1 or 2 engines there. You can also do drive train swaps if you are crazy and want your GT-R to be RWD or something. In terms of the paint stuff, you can't get better than the Forza games, it's the same editor it's always been so you know... there are Michelangelos in there uploading some truly insane designs.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JasonR86

@Napalm said:

@MikkaQ said:

You should download the demo dude. That'll give you a better idea of the driving mechanics. I'll try my best to explain it though. So there are two driving models; normal and simulation. I only played with normal for a while so I can't speak to it too much. But the cars felt light and responsive. The handling favored oversteering even in AWD cars and it was pretty easy to get the back end to kick out for a drift. The simulation mode isn't that simulation based. The cars still felt light and responsive and they still favored oversteering. It's still easy to kick the backend out. The main difference between the two models is that the simulation mode feels a little more slippery as if you could lose traction and spin out a lot faster. The normal mode feels more forgiving. Both modes allow for really fast driving but the cars won't match the acceleration of more arcade racers like Need for Speed. Also with speed the cars well be harder to control and you may even feel as if the front of the car is hopping around because the car models still emulate some sense of realism where as in a Need for Speed game the cars feel grounded both at high and low speeds.

As far as I know you can create tuning set-ups for cars with as much customization as you saw in the previous Forza games which, with the brief time I spent with it, seemed pretty involved. I haven't messed with the tuning too much in this game though so I can't really speak to it. But if you are looking for tuning it looks like Horizon will give you that option.

Again, you should really download the demo if you can. That will tell you a lot about the game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

@JasonR86: I don't think there's any actual tuning in the game from what I can tell. Like you can add parts on and stuff, but I don't think you can determine gear ratios or stuff like that anymore.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JasonR86

@Napalm: @MikkaQ said:

@JasonR86: I don't think there's any actual tuning in the game from what I can tell. Like you can add parts on and stuff, but I don't think you can determine gear ratios or stuff like that anymore.

Yeah, I just checked and you're totally right.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By vaportra1l

If you think NFS Hot Pursuit was too realistic then you'll probably not enjoy this.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There is a ton of modification you can do to cars in Horizon. You'll absolutely be doing engine swapping, determining the best sort of aspiration for your car, mucking with tire size and differentials. Lots of car-centric stuff.

There is no tuning, however. You won't be adjusting the minutiae down to the pound per square inch, or the specifics of your ride height (though you can adjust the ride height).

I'd say Horizon splits the middle on that stuff. You'll find a wealth of upgrades and combinations of possible set-ups for each car. No two builds of a single car are exactly alike. The differences are noticeable, too, between a car specced for horsepower and a car specced for suspension and handling.

As far as the racing goes, you'll find that it's a pleasant mix of weighty, physics-based realism and accessible, manageable escapism. In point of fact, the driving mechanics are the most fun I have with the game. Just cruising is just so pleasurable because the cars feel just right. You won't be taking corners at plus-100 miles an hour, but you'll still be able to drift to your heart's content or experience a rushing sensation of speed on the open flats.

Horizon's a blast, man. A real treat.

sushix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sushix

@MikkaQ said:

Well it's simmy, so it handles like actual cars, for the most part. I mean it handles exactly like other Forza games do, the driving itself is untouched, so if you don't like sim racing games, it might not feel right for you.

Horizon does NOT handle like the rest of the Forza series. PGR 4 might be a good comparison.

You have to brake for corners and drifting takes finesse, not a button press. It's definitely more 'sim' than Hot Pursuit.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JasonR86

@SushiX said:

@MikkaQ said:

Horizon does NOT handle like the rest of the Forza series. PGR 4 might be a good comparison.

You have to brake for corners and drifting takes finesse, not a button press. It's definitely more 'sim' than Hot Pursuit.

The handling for Horizon in the simulation mode isn't that far off from the handling of Forza 4 in simulation mode. The cars just feel lighter, drift easier, and oversteer more.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

@JasonR86 said:

@SushiX said:

@MikkaQ said:

The handling for Horizon in the simulation mode isn't that far off from the handling of Forza 4 in simulation mode. The cars just feel lighter, drift easier, and oversteer more.

Maybe that's the case yeah. I use a wheel and simulation settings, and everything definitely feels Forza as hell though. I wouldn't notice the difference other the increased ease of drifting, which I try to avoid anyway.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By nights

@SushiX said:

@MikkaQ said:

I was going to say. I played a lot of Forza, Forza 2 and Forza 3, but Horizon (from my limited experience with the demo) did not feel like those games. This is with the assists off, by the way. Let me rephrase that: There's a noticeable difference, at least to me.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm

Thank you for all the rec's guys, but I've made my decision. I'm going to go ahead and pick up the original Need For Speed: Most Wanted, then move onto Carbon and then Undercover. I'll end up picking up Forza Horizon early next year. I know the early Xbox 360 NFS titles has exactly what I'm looking for, so I'm going to go with those for a safe bet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.