Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Francis York Morgan

Character » appears in 2 games

"FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan. Please, call me York. That's what everyone calls me."

My personal character of the year is Francis York Morgan

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

Ok so the Bombcast guys didn't pick York as the #1 best guy of 2010.

To me he is though. The way he introduces himself as "Detective Francis York Morgan. Call me York. Everyone else does." the same way every time, even at the town meeting is super dumb and cocky.
    When he talks about old missions like that one guy who collected skulls and drank out of em, or the college professor who was cuttin open teenage girls; and he's SO CALM ABOUT IT. Like this is just his regular job, and he forgets that it's all completely fucked up.
    He talks to himself when he's alone cos of that post-traumatic breakdown he had.
    He really slowly falls in love with Emily over the course o the game and it's not out-of-nowhere or forced or anything.
    He has really weird views on the afterlife. 
    He's clearly not good with women and doesn't realise it.
    He has weird superstitions about his morning coffee.
    Fuckin-- The guy is scared to death of everything and puts his imaginary friend on auto-pilot for like 20 years.

I love this guy, he's fun AND creepy at the same time an he allways makes me laugh. Anyone else?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By RobotHamster

He's my favorite character of 2010 as well.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cornbredx

I agree. During the bombcast they did for day 1, they suggested they felt this way too (except Brad who hates everything about Deadly Premonition and wont even discuss anything possibly being good about it haha), but ultimately they didn't put it up that way. As Jeff said, and I agree, the only redeemable thing about Deadly Premonition is Francis York Morgan. No, the game isn't good and that's partially what appealed to me about it. I dont expect people to agree with that, as I know I'm weird when it comes to that, but Francis York Morgan being a great character... ya it's hard not to agree that character is well fleshed out throughout the course of that game.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out my opinion here- I'm not trying to argue GBs choices. I may disagree but that's fine. Nothing wrong with being of a different opinion.
    I agree OP.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ChickenPants

He's not just one of my favourites of the year, he's one of my favourites of all time.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

More a Zack man myself.

ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ThePilgrums
    @CornBREDX said:
    " As Jeff said, and I agree, the only redeemable thing about Deadly Premonition is Francis York Morgan. "
    I think "the ONLY thing" is a bit harsh, but he is the best part of that game. And Brad's not wanting to budge AT ALL because he hated how it played was extremely frustrating for me to listen to. I've played the game, and honestly, if you use headshots and melee weapons, the game doesn't play too horribly for a $20 game. Brad just kept forgetting to reload, stood too close to the shadows, then blamed the controls when they grabbed him. Half of his frustration was his own fault. Vinny managed okay in his playthrough.

But that's beside the point. The real point I want to make is that I genuinely think Deadly Premonition has a great story and set of characters, especially York. And to say "Oh, the gameplay was bad so you should ignore any other merits the game has." is utter hogwash. There have been plenty of games with good stories and sub-par/terrible game mechanics. But I guess for Brad only characters from AAA games deserve to be on this list. It's a shame, really.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Its either him or John Marston to me. 
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By eristocrat

I like the way he points at himself when he talks.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho
    @ThePilgrums: I don't really think qualifiers like "for a 20 dollar game" or "for a Wii game" or "for a small developer" or "for a DS game" really key into the bigger accolades at all. The controls either work or they don't. And "you're playing it wrong" is kind of a cheap way to dismiss someone's opinion.
    drgrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By drgrumbles

He is a rather intriguing character.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx
    @ThePilgrums: I said "only redeemable thing". Please understand me correctly. This comment means only thing I could say if someone (meaning anyone, even some one who hates everything else about the game and doesn't get the appeal of a bad game) would take anything good from the game it would be Francis York Morgan. As a game I love, and have myself gone on record as having it as my #3 best game this year, I understand it's not a game for everyone and its a deeply flawed game. My mere point was to say Francis York Morgan is the only thing I can bring out of that game and say "He definitely deserves recognition as a great new character."

Again, I'm only stating this as my opinion, not as an argument for GBs choices as they only differ in opinion to mine although I find it odd in the bombcast they said Francis York Morgan wins, and gave more reason for both York and Mordin Solus than for Bayonetta- but it's their choice and I don't expect them to change it- I merely disagree. =)
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By beforet

I do not mind that he lost to Mordin, but York/Zach will always have a special place in my heart.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By WickedCestus
    @ryanwho said:
    " @ThePilgrums: I don't really think qualifiers like "for a 20 dollar game" or "for a Wii game" or "for a small developer" or "for a DS game" really key into the bigger accolades at all. The controls either work or they don't. And "you're playing it wrong" is kind of a cheap way to dismiss someone's opinion. "
    But in this situation it makes sense. It's not like the Fallout: New Vegas argument; Brad just refused to learn the mechanics of the game. It's like if you popped in Black Ops, turned it on Veteran and tried to just run straight into anyone you see and knife them. Of course you'd hate the game, and it's not really the game' s fault.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

I didn't watch much of the Brad/Ryan QL so I can't really comment. And also I don't like defending Brad. So I'll take your word for it.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By I_smell

Jus to clear up my opinion here: I think Deadly Premonition is a shitty game to play, the controls probably are complete shit, it looks bad, there's about 2 different enemies, it's boring, etc etc- but that's not what we're talkin about.

I got the impression that Brad genuinely wasn't sold on York as a character. I could totally see why someone would say York is a random mess of nonsense like some throwaway fighting game character- That's what I thought he was for a while. If Brad thinks York is a dumb choice, I'm totally cool with that.
    Like I think the way he points at himself all the time is just because they have bad animators on that game; it's not really character thing at all.

But either way I think it all adds up and I think he's great.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Milkman
    @supermike6 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @ThePilgrums: I don't really think qualifiers like "for a 20 dollar game" or "for a Wii game" or "for a small developer" or "for a DS game" really key into the bigger accolades at all. The controls either work or they don't. And "you're playing it wrong" is kind of a cheap way to dismiss someone's opinion. "
    But in this situation it makes sense. It's not like the Fallout: New Vegas argument; Brad just refused to learn the mechanics of the game. It's like if you popped in Black Ops, turned it on Veteran and tried to just run straight into anyone you see and knife them. Of course you'd hate the game, and it's not really the game' s fault. "
    Don't be stupid. The game plays like shit. Fact. It's not that Brad "didn't want to learn". That's completely ridiculous. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel
    @Milkman said:
    " @supermike6 said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    But in this situation it makes sense. It's not like the Fallout: New Vegas argument; Brad just refused to learn the mechanics of the game. It's like if you popped in Black Ops, turned it on Veteran and tried to just run straight into anyone you see and knife them. Of course you'd hate the game, and it's not really the game' s fault. "
    Don't be stupid. The game plays like shit. Fact. It's not that Brad "didn't want to learn". That's completely ridiculous.  "
    And you can attest personally that it plays like shit?  Or are you just saying it because oh god, it should be obvious to everyone just from looking at it?
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FritzDude

"Amazing!"

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

I have opinions on the middle east without ever being there. I'd say watching something for 100 hours gives you a good idea of how enjoyable it would be to play. A bit of common fucking sense can get you there, Hal.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Milkman
    @Hailinel: It's true. You got me. I didn't play Deadly Premonition. But I feel like after watching hours and hours of the game being played, I have a pretty good feeling on how it handles. It's really besides the point because to cast aside Brad's opinion and claim that he didn't want to learn the mechanics is completely unfair. You want to question his skill level, go ahead. But to say he can't have an opinion because he "played it wrong" is ridiculous.  

For the record, I would have no problem with them picking Francis York Morgan as the Best New Character. I think Mordin was a better choice but I would certainly take York over Bayonetta. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " I have opinions on the middle east without ever being there. I'd say watching something for 100 hours gives you a good idea of how enjoyable it would be to play. A bit of common fucking sense can get you there, Hal. "
    Who's Hal? :P

I can watch a guy play and enjoy Black Ops for a hundred hours, but that doesn't guarantee that I'd like playing it myself.  I can also watch a guy play fumble around and hate Fire Emblem for a hundred hours, but that doesn't guarantee that I'd hate it, either.
    pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By pyromagnestir

Brad wasn't hating on York because the game played like shit.  He was arguing against giving York the win as consolation for being the one amusing part of a seriously flawed game, and he felt if you removed that from the equation he wasn't a good enough character to win.  A mishmash of quirks and ticks does not a great character make.  I believe that is the argument Brad was trying to make, and it is my opinion as well...
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

I don't think Woody Allen would agree with that.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By I_smell
    @Hailinel:  If you think Deadly Premonition somehow has good controls then I'd really like to know, in your opinion, which games DO play like shit?

Cos when you break a weapon in this game, he does a shrug animation that leaves you standing there for like 10 seconds, incase you missed that.
    You press A to fire while there is a literal TRIGGER right there on the controller.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

Hal lives in a black or white word where you love everything about a game or you're a troll.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @I_smell said:
    " @Hailinel:  If you think Deadly Premonition somehow has good controls then I'd really like to know, in your opinion, which games DO play like shit?  Cos when you break a weapon in this game, he does a shrug animation that leaves you standing there for like 10 seconds, incase you missed that. You press A to fire while there is a literal TRIGGER right there on the controller. "
    I personally haven't played Deadly Premonition.  I'm not sure that I would like playing it, but I'm not going to dismiss it like some people have.  I enjoy York's character, I enjoy the batshit crazy plotting, and if the PS3 version were ever to be released in the U.S., I'd snap it up in a heartbeat to give the actual gameplay a shot.  Maybe I won't like playing it?  I don't know.  I'm not going to judge my theoretical enjoyment of playing the game based on the Endurance Runs.

As for games that play like shit, Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga has terrible, clunky controls that made it a chore to play anywhere beyond the tutorial boss you can't die against.  Then there's Sands of Destruction which, while mechanically competent, is unbalanced to such a ridiculous extent that it loses its luster after just a few hours in.  I don't care where the firing button on the controller is.  I'm not obsessed with shooters to the point that I absolutely cannot play  game in the genre if "Shoot" is mapped to a face button.
    Hecatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hecatio

@I_smell
    If you had played Deadly Premonition, you would know that you can change the entire layout of the controls. I personally have shoot on the right trigger and the left trigger take out weapon. Also, I never used melee weapons a lot, but I only used it until it was nearly dead, then when I was free of zombies, I would throw it away and then get a new one, if possible. With guns, when you hover over the head, without the lock-on button, the cross-heir (sp?) stays on the head for a second or so. If you played, you would have had a feel for it and knew when to shoot. Also, with the infinite melee and ammo guns, it's actually pretty easy to play Deadly Premonition. Not really that difficult unless you're one of those 'too stubborn to change anything' players.

Edit: To stay on topic, Francis York Morgan is pretty much in my top 10 great characters of the year. Yeah.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By I_smell

Yeah I imagine eating shit isn't so bad either if you hold your nose and pretend it's a shrimp cocktail.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By armaan8014

Giantbomb broke my heart. He's my #1 as well

Wolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolf3
    @I_smell:  Oh absolutly, Special Agent Francis York Morgan is one of if not the best character EVER, let alone last year.  Frankly Deadly Premonition would be on my short "best of" list for 2010...just finished it and I think I'd pick it over Mass Effect 2 actually as game of the year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.