Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Free to Play

Concept »

Free to Play titles allow a user to play a version of the game without paying an initial purchase fee, but generally require the purchase of microtransactions to access additional content.

Free-to-Play; Or Gifts to Older Gamers

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

Edited By KaosAngel

Sup nerds,

Legit post here, and it's something that's been on my mind for a bit. I'm not getting younger, and I am having fewer and fewer days, hours, and seconds to play games. The games I do play happen to be mostly mobile or on my iPad.

Lately I've been playing a game called Blacklight Retribution, it's like a game called Call of Duty, but free. Well not free, I liked it enough I bought the 10 bucks starter pack on Steam and I still like it enough. For the most part, I've been Skyping with my girlfriend while I play this and it's been very relaxing.

I also bought Max Payne 3 this week for 30 bucks. Never finished it and got bored. Put more hours into Blacklight and paid a third of the price, which was optional. I really don't get why people bitch about free-to-play. You can spend 60 bucks on F2P games and have all the shit you would have in a real game, fuck me...most F2P games only let you buy cosmetic gear and not game-play gear...so what's the fucking problem?

You see, I get up every morning at 5 a.m. and finish my Duty day around 5 p.m., I then have a 2 hour study hall in which it's strongly recommended everyone goes to from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m., so basically I'm not getting back into the dorms until 9 p.m. in which I should at least study a little more. Plus I have mandatory PT couple times a week.

I know most of you work a lot more, or have more jobs. The older folks here don't have time as a luxury.

So why spend 60 bucks on games in which most of the time we won't finish. Free-To-Play is good, they're getting a lot better and for us people who have a busy day/week it helps playing for quick 20 min sessions and relaxing. The thing I like about Blacklight is that all matches are timed on 10 minute matches so I know I can always get a round in every hour or so.

Sure I can buy new shit in the game, or I cannot. I can easily unlock shit by playing or I can unlock it by buying if I feel like I enjoy the game enough. No one is at fault.

I still don't get why people hold it as a stigma. DOTA2 is F2P, TF2 is, LoL (which sucks), loads of new F2P games are on Steam.

If this is part of the future of gaming I'm all for it. Fuck, I hope it is the future of multiplayer gaming. Sure I'll try and make a full weekend to finish a short 7 hour story but I'm sure as fuck not paying 60 bucks for it, at least not anymore.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup nerds,

Legit post here, and it's something that's been on my mind for a bit. I'm not getting younger, and I am having fewer and fewer days, hours, and seconds to play games. The games I do play happen to be mostly mobile or on my iPad.

Lately I've been playing a game called Blacklight Retribution, it's like a game called Call of Duty, but free. Well not free, I liked it enough I bought the 10 bucks starter pack on Steam and I still like it enough. For the most part, I've been Skyping with my girlfriend while I play this and it's been very relaxing.

I also bought Max Payne 3 this week for 30 bucks. Never finished it and got bored. Put more hours into Blacklight and paid a third of the price, which was optional. I really don't get why people bitch about free-to-play. You can spend 60 bucks on F2P games and have all the shit you would have in a real game, fuck me...most F2P games only let you buy cosmetic gear and not game-play gear...so what's the fucking problem?

You see, I get up every morning at 5 a.m. and finish my Duty day around 5 p.m., I then have a 2 hour study hall in which it's strongly recommended everyone goes to from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m., so basically I'm not getting back into the dorms until 9 p.m. in which I should at least study a little more. Plus I have mandatory PT couple times a week.

I know most of you work a lot more, or have more jobs. The older folks here don't have time as a luxury.

So why spend 60 bucks on games in which most of the time we won't finish. Free-To-Play is good, they're getting a lot better and for us people who have a busy day/week it helps playing for quick 20 min sessions and relaxing. The thing I like about Blacklight is that all matches are timed on 10 minute matches so I know I can always get a round in every hour or so.

Sure I can buy new shit in the game, or I cannot. I can easily unlock shit by playing or I can unlock it by buying if I feel like I enjoy the game enough. No one is at fault.

I still don't get why people hold it as a stigma. DOTA2 is F2P, TF2 is, LoL (which sucks), loads of new F2P games are on Steam.

If this is part of the future of gaming I'm all for it. Fuck, I hope it is the future of multiplayer gaming. Sure I'll try and make a full weekend to finish a short 7 hour story but I'm sure as fuck not paying 60 bucks for it, at least not anymore.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

Free-to-Play is cool. People like to bitch a lot, because it's an easy system to exploit, but hey, haters gonna hate.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Benny

I think the main stigma with F2P games is that people blatantly abuse the pricing structure in favor of squeezing as much cash out of people as possible. The whole 'energy' system is the stain on F2P games at the minute.

If it's not a convenience (unlocks, time saver, character slots) or cosmetic thing, or if buying it gives you an advantage, I'd say that's a bad way to do business.

However, If the main barrier to entry in a F2P game was a one-off $10 purchase that was necessary to be on the same level as everyone else, why is there a problem with that? People pay $60 for something like mass effect 3 then still pay micro transactions on top of that. Plenty of people spend $60 on COD and only play the multiplayer.

Food for thought I guess. It's a new pricing model, a lot of people have gotten it wrong, and very few people have gotten it right.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

@Benny: But with DOTA 2, LoL, Blacklight, LotR, etc...doing it right, it sets a model that others can't use F2P to fuck people over.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Benny

@KaosAngel: Totally, the MOBAs are a great example of how it should be done right, especially DOTA 2, where you start with every hero unlocked if I'm not mistaken, and the stuff you purchase is just cosmetic. I bet they make more money this way than a boxed MOBA ever would.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.