Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gabe Newell

Person » credited in 27 games

Co-Founder of Valve Corporation, Gabe Newell is responsible for the Half-Life franchise.

Watch Gabe Newell's DICE Keynote, Details on the Steam Box.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/gabe-newells-dice-keynote-steam-box-price-point-much-much-lo/

apparently dude is planning to price it at 100 bucks, and eventually make it free.

Newell said it would be a cheap addition to any TV, starting at $100 and eventually hitting $0. "The price point that's going to be hit is going to be much, much lower than things we've traditionally seen in living room devices. Better, it's basically a PC in the console form factor and at the console price point. There's nothing really magical about the hardware – this is the great thing about PC, is that it's been evolving so quickly."

and that said steambox is going to hinge more on in home streaming than cloud based gameplay, but he also doesnt write off cloud based gameplay also.

Steam, of course, was founded on principles of cloud gaming, so it couldn't be completely written off. "I think there's a place for cloud gaming, but much more as a feature for things like demos and spectation, and not as a core architecture for delivering value to consumers," Newell said.

should be interesting to see, if this thing is all the hype as people are hoping for, it could really shake things up.

i do love the last bit from this story though, of essentially if it fails, it'ill at least be a fun ride

"If we're wrong, at least it will be spectacularly entertaining as a failure," he said.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

@mrfluke said:

it could really shake things up.

That's what Gabe and Valve are good at. Their long-term look on pretty much everything is really refreshing compared to the short-term, profit-over-all-else goals that most other companies in the industry seem to have.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mrfluke

@Ravenlight said:

@mrfluke said:

it could really shake things up.

That's what Gabe and Valve are good at. Their long-term look on pretty much everything is really refreshing compared to the short-term, profit-over-all-else goals that most other companies in the industry seem to have.

ive been primarily a console guy, but i do acknowledge what valve has done. and how they essentially kept pc gaming relevant

with all the hype people talk up on this steam box, im interested in seeing more of it now, especially when the plan is to make it super cheap apparently

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alternate

$100 plus the cost of your PC, can't be anything more than a streaming device at that price.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Alekss

@alternate said:

$100 plus the cost of your PC, can't be anything more than a streaming device at that price.

im ok with that. i dont even need one, but at that price I'll buy it the same way I bought a raspberry pi and dodnt do anything with it.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By pr1mus

A simple inexpensive streaming device is all i need. I've got the computer, just give me an easy way to have it display on my TV. Easier and more convenient than a 20 foot cable anyway.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jams

@Pr1mus said:

A simple inexpensive streaming device is all i need. I've got the computer, just give me an easy way to have it display on my TV. Easier and more convenient than a 20 foot cable anyway.

Yup. $100 bucks is a small price to pay for that kind of convenience. Especially when it probably allows to not only stream the video but (I would think) it would allow you to use a keyboard/mouse and controller without the need for any extra cables or adapters or hoping your wireless kb/m will still work 18 ft away.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By alexpiercey

Does anybody know where I can see the Gabe/JJ Abrams talk? I know they ended up not streaming it, but I saw people saying that a video would be posted.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OfficeGamer

@Jams said:

@Pr1mus said:

Yup. $100 bucks is a small price to pay for that kind of convenience. Especially when it probably allows to not only stream the video but (I would think) it would allow you to use a keyboard/mouse and controller without the need for any extra cables or adapters or hoping your wireless kb/m will still work 18 ft away.

Wait wait, what? You're expecting the Steam Box to be a 100$ substitution for an HDMI cable and a couple of USB extension cords? A bit steep no? I mean unless you're cable-phobic I don't see how this is a good deal or idea to begin with.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WasabiCurry

I will probably buy it, $100 dollars is it? That is cheap for me.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Jams

@OfficeGamer said:

@Jams said:

@Pr1mus said:

Wait wait, what? You're expecting the Steam Box to be a 100$ substitution for an HDMI cable and a couple of USB extension cords? A bit steep no? I mean unless you're cable-phobic I don't see how this is a good deal or idea to begin with.

I'd rather pay $100 for a device that streams from my too far for cables PC to my tv. I don't want my huge tower in my living room either. I've tried that and it just doesn't work for me. It's money for convenience and there's definitely a market for it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfluke

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.