GBA Recommendation Thread

#1 Posted by Pezjulo (224 posts) -

I´ve never been a huge fan of the DS, so I decided to skip buying it and instead sticking with my GBA. Although games are getting harder and harder to find, they are also becoming cheaper, reason why I believe it is a good idea to build a solid collection of GBA titles. This thread is to recommend the best of them, of any genre (I am personally trying to complete my collection, so any help would be appreciated).

#2 Posted by jlaudio7 (326 posts) -

Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls

Final Fantasy IV-VI Advance
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Metroid Fusion
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Super Mario Advance 1-4 (Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, Super Mario World 1 and 2)
#3 Posted by Shasam (468 posts) -
jlaudio7 said:
"Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2"
Yeah! That's what I would recommend...
#4 Posted by GalvanizedNails (552 posts) -

Golden Sun, Golden Sun: Lost Age, Metroid Fusion, Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Pokemon Firered and Leafgreen if your into the Pokemon, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and any of the Advanced Wars games

Hope that helps,
Nails

#5 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

pretty simple ...

all castlevania titles
all metroid titles
all zelda titles

when you are finished ... move on to the same games on their DS releases...

#6 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
#7 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I only have two games:

Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros 3
Metroid Fusion

both awesome

#8 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Dude, I can't believe no one has mentioned WarioWare: Micro Minigames. It's probably the game I played most on GBA. If you've played any of the WarioWare games, you'll know what to expect, except this one is the original. If you haven't, prepare yourself for a totally crazy, fun game. WarioWare: Twisted was the follow up with a built-in tilt sensor, and while it's also cool, I still think the original is better.

#9 Edited by Tearhead (2161 posts) -
  • Golden Sun *MUST BUY*
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age *MUST BUY*
  • ... Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire... I had loads of fun with them, logged well over 100 hours of playtime on Ruby alone... damned Feebass.
#10 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

The WarioWare games are solid. Try to look for a copy of AstroBoy.

#11 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Some great suggestions so far, the only one I see missing is Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

#12 Posted by JediAutobot (200 posts) -

There have been a lot of suggestions on games that I would say, so instead I'm going to give a shout out to the other reason I keep my GBA SP healthy, Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.  I love playing some of my originals (yes, I'm old) games, including Super Mario Land, Pokemon Puzzle League (much better than Planet Puzzle League), and Metal Gear Solid.

#13 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I have to say some amazing suggestions so far, can not go wrong with a single title listed thus far into the thread...

#14 Posted by RAYDAFUNK (13 posts) -

Oh and you need to try out all the Bit Generations games, you can only import them but they are fully in english,  and you need to try R Tengoku quite a new experience 

#15 Edited by Valestis (211 posts) -

All Castlevania (especially Aria of Sorrow) and Metroid games are great on GBA. Advance Wars 1&2 are great too. There are also a lot of sweet rpgs for this system. :3

#16 Posted by Stevokenevo (573 posts) -

Although not actually a gba game, you can get the Phantasy Star 1,2,3 collection from play or ebay relatively cheap and they are faithful recreations of the originals.  If youre into that kinda game, its well worth a look.

#17 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

To add to the fine games others have already mentioned.

Mario Golf
FZERO Maximum Velocity
Wario Ware Twisted
Castlevania :Castle of the Moon 
R Tengoku.
Konami Kart Racers
Astroboy
Gunstar Future Heroes
LOZ:LttP
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart: SC
Sonic Advance 2

...and 2 copies of Street Fighter Alpha 3 and a link cable.

@JediAutobot said:
" There have been a lot of suggestions on games that I would say, so instead I'm going to give a shout out to the other reason I keep my GBA SP healthy, Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.  I love playing some of my originals (yes, I'm old) games, including Super Mario Land, Pokemon Puzzle League (much better than Planet Puzzle League), and Metal Gear Solid. "

I like playing those games with a GameCube plugged into my projector at home, I lie in bed and playing Super Mario Land on the ceiling :P I still have my first Gameboy in excellent condition, and a mint boxed one. still sealed with it's black label.

#18 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Golden Sun.

#19 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

It's been suggested a few times already, Mr bandwagon rider :)

After browsing through my collection..

Wario Ware
Super Mario Advance: Super Mario World
Advance Wars 2 (!)
Sonic Advance 1
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Puyo Pop

#20 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

I liked Metroid: Zero Mission more than Fusion personally.

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Best RPG On The GBA

#22 Posted by Captainlunchbox (445 posts) -

Metal Slug Advance. 
Castlevania Double Pack. 

Also look into Gameboy and Gameboy Color games, too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.