Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Gears of War 3: Both the best Gears, and the worst Gears.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

Okay, worst probably isn't the right word. "My least favorite" would be more accurate, but hey, I have to have something "eye catching" to get people to read something about a game that came out last year and everyone already knows about.

By now everyone knows what the Gears of War franchise is about, and probably knows about all the improvements the fine people at Epic Games made to stuff like the Horde Mode in Gears 3, and the inclusion of new things like Best Mode. Bear in mind that I didn't play any of that. I don't pay for Xbox Live, and I didn't feel like trying to play Horde Mode on my own (which I think is possible, but I'm not sure). When I got this copy (which I borrowed from my cousin), I started a new campaign on Hardcore, and I played through to the end, on my own.

But in order to better understand why Gears 3 is my least favorite of the trilogy, I think some background information on my experience with the other two games is needed. I bought Gears 1 back in '06 when it came out. I played through it on my own, in co-op with a friend (mainly split-screen), and since that was during the one year when I had access to Xbox Live Gold, I played a fair amount of the game online. And I loved all of it. There is a reason why so many games have aped the formula established by Gears of War, which more or less invented the third person/cover based shooter sub-genre (yes, games existed with all these mechanics before, but Gears is the one that made it a thing people cared about).

Then, in 2008, Gears of War 2 was released to much fanfare. By which I mean people kept complaining about how the online was messed up. But whilst those people were complaining about that, I was playing the campaign. Again, I played it on my own, and in co-op, and I loved every last second of it. I thought that they improved on the original in every way. It looked better, there were new weapons, the vehicle sequences were fun (at least I liked them) instead of being awful like that one sequence in Gears 1. It was a bigger and more ambitious game, and I loved it, and continue to love it to this day (even though it's been quite some time since I played either Gears 1 or Gears 2).

No Caption Provided

Nolan North who, according to the internet, voiced the character Jace in Gears of War 2, but not in Gears of War 3 (and yes, Jace is in Gears of War 3). Already the game was doing things I didn't approve of.

In all seriousness though, I came into Gears of War 3 with high expectations. Everything I read or saw about the game sounded fantastic. They had once again revamped the graphics to make the game look even better, and they went out of their way to create even more variety in the environments (something that they did well in Gears 2 as well, though I always found something compelling about the oppressive grey-ness of Gears 1). And I think these high expectations were part of the reason why I ended up feeling a little disappointed by the game, as opposed to Modern Warfare 3, which I recently went into with low expectations and was blown away.

But where to begin with what I didn't like? I suppose the weapons is a good place to start, as the game involves a lot of shooting. Most weapons from the first two games are left unchanged, so the Lancer still works the same as it ever does. I think they changed the Hammerburst again, but I never really used it in Gears 2, so I'm not sure (I can say with confidence that it does not have burst fire, so they should have changed the name (it did have burst fire in Gears 1)). One weapon that did change was the Gorgon pistol, which was a new weapon in Gears 2, and my favorite pistol in that game. The gun fired in four round bursts, and carried 16 shots (so four four round bursts). It was such a weird little gun that I found using it compelling, so I held onto it for much of the game. But I must have been in the minority, because it was changed to a regular-ass fully auto gun, which sounds like it would be better, but I didn't like it. It was far too inaccurate, and I felt using that pointless when I carried the Lancer all of the time, so I just carried the Boltok revolver instead.

More critical to how I play Gears of War, however, were the changes made to the Longshot sniper rifle (which still "morphs" depending on how it is held in the game (ie, the "bolt" of the bolt action rifle switches sides, which always stood out to me as a silly oversight in the design of that weapon)). The gun still handles the same way it always has (single shot bolt action, scope, etc), but they changed how you can get ammo for it. In the first two games, you could get Longshot ammo from the ammo boxes found throughout the game, meaning you could play through most of the game with the Longshot, as I tended to do in both Gears 1 and 2. But in Gears 3, you can no longer get Longshot ammo from those ammo boxes. It's only from Longshot rifles found in the game, meaning that ammo for the gun is severely limited, and that you can really only use it when the developers want you to. And since you can only carry a max of 24 rounds at any time, it's not like you could load up in a spot and then carry it with you forever. So I ended up not using it anywhere near as much, and I just thought it was weird to make such a change in the third game in the series.

Both of those aren't huge issues, however. Even in the previous games, I would often switch out the Longshot for a shotgun or something else if I felt the situation warranted it. More critical to why I liked this game less than the other two are the enemies. Most of the enemies from the first two games return, but there are a bunch of new ones as well. Yes, making new enemies for a game is a good thing, because it's always better to have variety, rather than the same old thing rehashed for the third time. The problem is that the rehashed enemies are way more fun to fight than the new ones.

See, the problem I have is that a lot of the new enemies seem to have been built around the idea of getting players out of cover and moving around. Enemies like that existed in the first two games (Gears 1 had the wretches, and Gears 2 added tickers), but Gears 3 adds a couple more enemies like that. One are these weird spider-ish things that just run at you, and the other are basically fast zombies that run at you and melee you. Yeah, zombies. Those well loved and interesting enemies that fit well into a game that is best when you are in cover shooting at guys who are also in cover.

And there are other enemies that have attacks that seem to have been designed specifically to force you out of cover. There's one that throws these larges gobs of orange goo that are one-hit "kills" (more on why I quote that later), and another that has a Stretch Armstrong arm with a blade at the end, which is also a one-hit "kill." And on top of that, there is a new weapon called the Digger that sending a grenade through the ground that pops up, and can go beneath cover. I like that weapon, however, because unlike those orange gobs and arm blades, the Digger can be used against the enemy.

Now, those enemies thankfully do not make up the brunt of what you fight in the game. There's certainly a lot of them, but I want to say that most of it was fighting regular-ass Locust, which is the same tried and true stuff from the first two games (minus throwing grenades into holes). But even when fighting the "better" enemies, I still found the game a little...flat? That's not really the right word, but the game didn't feel as exciting to me as Gears 2 did. Or as well designed as Gears 1 was. I don't really have any concrete examples as to why, but I didn't like the level design as much in this game, or the set-piece moments. There's no vehicular sections, aside from a couple of decent (but not great) mounted turret bit (though some people will find that to be a plus), and the boss fights are bad. Not only are they not fun to fight, but they last way too long. The Gears games aren't exactly known for great boss fights (aside from that one on the raft in Gears 2), but these don't do anything to help their reputation. I almost want to say that this game's final boss is worse than the boss in Gears 1, but it's been years since I played Gears 1, so I can't really comment definitively.

Speaking of difficulty (because by worse, I meant harder), Hardcore mode in Gears 3 is weird. On the one hand I want to say it's harder than it was in Gears 2 (and maybe Gears 1) because it feels like the amount of damage needed to die is way less than it was before. Conversely, you don't really die most of the time in Gears 3. What I mean is that instead of dying, your character falls to the ground waiting to be revived, like if it was being played in multi-player. So if it's hard to die, large parts of the game become trivial because you always have three AI characters to revive you. Even if the spots where they "split-up," the other two always manage to get back to you within about 30 seconds. It is possible to die, of course, but I was never able to figure out what exactly was causing death, so it ended up feeling super contrived as to what could or couldn't kill you. Sometimes I felt like explosions would kill me, but then I was clearly put into "revive me" mode by a Torque Bow shot (which is explosive, for those who don't know), so I don't think that was it. I know it's possible to bleed out (I had that happen once or twice), and enemies can curb stomp you, but I also had plenty of instances where I would just die without going into "revive me" mode.

And on top of those game play related things I didn't care for, I didn't like the story as much as in the first two games. Yes, the first game didn't have much of a story (at least in the game, I know the series has a lot of back story), but I think that was a case where less was more. Not that I didn't want things to be explained, I just didn't like some of the "twists." For example, the one about Imulsion (which I will not spoil). I'll just say that I thought that one was really dumb. And there were some other things that didn't make sense, weren't explained at all, or contradicted things in the first two games.

I know that story was never really the strongest part of these games, but The Cole Train definitely was. And one of my biggest complaints with Gears 3 is that The Cole Train just up and disappears from the story for a large portion of the game. Yes, there is a lot of The Cole Train early on (including a section where you play as him, which includes one of the best Cole Train moments), but it wasn't enough to make up for his absence later in the game. And yes, I remember that there was a large lead up to The Cole Train's appearance in Gears 2, but his intro in Gears 2 was better than his best moments in Gears 3, and that wasn't even the best Cole Train moment in Gears 2 (his little "speech" to the Locust Queen wins that award). And then, of course, there was The Cole Train Rap in Gears 1, so I feel a little disappointed with the amount of Cole Train in Gears 3. Too top heavy, left me wanting for him through large stretches of the game, and with only fake Chris Rock (or at least I thought Jace sounded a little like Chris Rock) and Claudia Black to (poorly) fill the void.

Ice T, who apart from holding fake guns in images that are much taller than I initially thought, voiced the character Griffin in Gears 3 (a much smaller role than I was hoping for), and whose band did a surprisingly shreddy song that plays during the credits of Gears of War 3.

I know most of what I wrote sounds negative, because it is, but remember that while this game is still my least favorite of the three, I still think it's a great game that everyone who likes gun-based-combat games should play. I just liked it less than the other two. I still wholeheartedly endorse it, however. So if you haven't played it yet, play it.

That's it. Nothing else on the immediate "play this" list. With Yakuza Dead Souls and Asura's Wrath still just a bit over my price range (well, Dead Souls is probably worth the money, but I got Yakuza 3 and 4 for real cheap, so I was hoping I could do the same, and Asura's Wrath is still way higher than I want to pay (I want to pay $20)), and those are about the only new-ish games out there that I want to buy. I could probably borrow another game from my cousin. He has Killzone 3, and isn't playing that, so I guess I could play that. Or maybe I'll go back to Mass Effect 3 and beat that on Insanity (though I know at least one person who will tell me to "forget about Mass Effect 3"). I'll probably do that. I have to S-Rank it at some point. I did for the first two, so I'm obligated by law to do it for this one.*

Oh yeah, E3 is soon. I'm really hoping that Nintendo shows off a bunch of awesome stuff. I love Nintendo, and in my heart they will always be my favorite, but I hope that the Wii U has more games worth buying than the Wii did. Don't get me wrong, I played most of the Nintendo published games like Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, and a lot of the good third party stuff like No More Heroes and Red Steel 2. But my collection of Wii games is dwarfed by the number of PS3 and 360 games I have. So I hope Nintendo blows us all away once again.

So far as Sony and Microsoft go, well, I'm not expecting much. Sony is probably going to push hard for Vita, which I don't really care about (not unless there's a serious price cut or a ton of games I want for it), and Microsoft's will probably be mad-boring once again (at least past the obligatory Call of Duty opening).

*Not really. By which I mean the obligated by law part. I did S-Rank the first two Mass Effect games.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Okay, worst probably isn't the right word. "My least favorite" would be more accurate, but hey, I have to have something "eye catching" to get people to read something about a game that came out last year and everyone already knows about.

By now everyone knows what the Gears of War franchise is about, and probably knows about all the improvements the fine people at Epic Games made to stuff like the Horde Mode in Gears 3, and the inclusion of new things like Best Mode. Bear in mind that I didn't play any of that. I don't pay for Xbox Live, and I didn't feel like trying to play Horde Mode on my own (which I think is possible, but I'm not sure). When I got this copy (which I borrowed from my cousin), I started a new campaign on Hardcore, and I played through to the end, on my own.

But in order to better understand why Gears 3 is my least favorite of the trilogy, I think some background information on my experience with the other two games is needed. I bought Gears 1 back in '06 when it came out. I played through it on my own, in co-op with a friend (mainly split-screen), and since that was during the one year when I had access to Xbox Live Gold, I played a fair amount of the game online. And I loved all of it. There is a reason why so many games have aped the formula established by Gears of War, which more or less invented the third person/cover based shooter sub-genre (yes, games existed with all these mechanics before, but Gears is the one that made it a thing people cared about).

Then, in 2008, Gears of War 2 was released to much fanfare. By which I mean people kept complaining about how the online was messed up. But whilst those people were complaining about that, I was playing the campaign. Again, I played it on my own, and in co-op, and I loved every last second of it. I thought that they improved on the original in every way. It looked better, there were new weapons, the vehicle sequences were fun (at least I liked them) instead of being awful like that one sequence in Gears 1. It was a bigger and more ambitious game, and I loved it, and continue to love it to this day (even though it's been quite some time since I played either Gears 1 or Gears 2).

No Caption Provided

Nolan North who, according to the internet, voiced the character Jace in Gears of War 2, but not in Gears of War 3 (and yes, Jace is in Gears of War 3). Already the game was doing things I didn't approve of.

In all seriousness though, I came into Gears of War 3 with high expectations. Everything I read or saw about the game sounded fantastic. They had once again revamped the graphics to make the game look even better, and they went out of their way to create even more variety in the environments (something that they did well in Gears 2 as well, though I always found something compelling about the oppressive grey-ness of Gears 1). And I think these high expectations were part of the reason why I ended up feeling a little disappointed by the game, as opposed to Modern Warfare 3, which I recently went into with low expectations and was blown away.

But where to begin with what I didn't like? I suppose the weapons is a good place to start, as the game involves a lot of shooting. Most weapons from the first two games are left unchanged, so the Lancer still works the same as it ever does. I think they changed the Hammerburst again, but I never really used it in Gears 2, so I'm not sure (I can say with confidence that it does not have burst fire, so they should have changed the name (it did have burst fire in Gears 1)). One weapon that did change was the Gorgon pistol, which was a new weapon in Gears 2, and my favorite pistol in that game. The gun fired in four round bursts, and carried 16 shots (so four four round bursts). It was such a weird little gun that I found using it compelling, so I held onto it for much of the game. But I must have been in the minority, because it was changed to a regular-ass fully auto gun, which sounds like it would be better, but I didn't like it. It was far too inaccurate, and I felt using that pointless when I carried the Lancer all of the time, so I just carried the Boltok revolver instead.

More critical to how I play Gears of War, however, were the changes made to the Longshot sniper rifle (which still "morphs" depending on how it is held in the game (ie, the "bolt" of the bolt action rifle switches sides, which always stood out to me as a silly oversight in the design of that weapon)). The gun still handles the same way it always has (single shot bolt action, scope, etc), but they changed how you can get ammo for it. In the first two games, you could get Longshot ammo from the ammo boxes found throughout the game, meaning you could play through most of the game with the Longshot, as I tended to do in both Gears 1 and 2. But in Gears 3, you can no longer get Longshot ammo from those ammo boxes. It's only from Longshot rifles found in the game, meaning that ammo for the gun is severely limited, and that you can really only use it when the developers want you to. And since you can only carry a max of 24 rounds at any time, it's not like you could load up in a spot and then carry it with you forever. So I ended up not using it anywhere near as much, and I just thought it was weird to make such a change in the third game in the series.

Both of those aren't huge issues, however. Even in the previous games, I would often switch out the Longshot for a shotgun or something else if I felt the situation warranted it. More critical to why I liked this game less than the other two are the enemies. Most of the enemies from the first two games return, but there are a bunch of new ones as well. Yes, making new enemies for a game is a good thing, because it's always better to have variety, rather than the same old thing rehashed for the third time. The problem is that the rehashed enemies are way more fun to fight than the new ones.

See, the problem I have is that a lot of the new enemies seem to have been built around the idea of getting players out of cover and moving around. Enemies like that existed in the first two games (Gears 1 had the wretches, and Gears 2 added tickers), but Gears 3 adds a couple more enemies like that. One are these weird spider-ish things that just run at you, and the other are basically fast zombies that run at you and melee you. Yeah, zombies. Those well loved and interesting enemies that fit well into a game that is best when you are in cover shooting at guys who are also in cover.

And there are other enemies that have attacks that seem to have been designed specifically to force you out of cover. There's one that throws these larges gobs of orange goo that are one-hit "kills" (more on why I quote that later), and another that has a Stretch Armstrong arm with a blade at the end, which is also a one-hit "kill." And on top of that, there is a new weapon called the Digger that sending a grenade through the ground that pops up, and can go beneath cover. I like that weapon, however, because unlike those orange gobs and arm blades, the Digger can be used against the enemy.

Now, those enemies thankfully do not make up the brunt of what you fight in the game. There's certainly a lot of them, but I want to say that most of it was fighting regular-ass Locust, which is the same tried and true stuff from the first two games (minus throwing grenades into holes). But even when fighting the "better" enemies, I still found the game a little...flat? That's not really the right word, but the game didn't feel as exciting to me as Gears 2 did. Or as well designed as Gears 1 was. I don't really have any concrete examples as to why, but I didn't like the level design as much in this game, or the set-piece moments. There's no vehicular sections, aside from a couple of decent (but not great) mounted turret bit (though some people will find that to be a plus), and the boss fights are bad. Not only are they not fun to fight, but they last way too long. The Gears games aren't exactly known for great boss fights (aside from that one on the raft in Gears 2), but these don't do anything to help their reputation. I almost want to say that this game's final boss is worse than the boss in Gears 1, but it's been years since I played Gears 1, so I can't really comment definitively.

Speaking of difficulty (because by worse, I meant harder), Hardcore mode in Gears 3 is weird. On the one hand I want to say it's harder than it was in Gears 2 (and maybe Gears 1) because it feels like the amount of damage needed to die is way less than it was before. Conversely, you don't really die most of the time in Gears 3. What I mean is that instead of dying, your character falls to the ground waiting to be revived, like if it was being played in multi-player. So if it's hard to die, large parts of the game become trivial because you always have three AI characters to revive you. Even if the spots where they "split-up," the other two always manage to get back to you within about 30 seconds. It is possible to die, of course, but I was never able to figure out what exactly was causing death, so it ended up feeling super contrived as to what could or couldn't kill you. Sometimes I felt like explosions would kill me, but then I was clearly put into "revive me" mode by a Torque Bow shot (which is explosive, for those who don't know), so I don't think that was it. I know it's possible to bleed out (I had that happen once or twice), and enemies can curb stomp you, but I also had plenty of instances where I would just die without going into "revive me" mode.

And on top of those game play related things I didn't care for, I didn't like the story as much as in the first two games. Yes, the first game didn't have much of a story (at least in the game, I know the series has a lot of back story), but I think that was a case where less was more. Not that I didn't want things to be explained, I just didn't like some of the "twists." For example, the one about Imulsion (which I will not spoil). I'll just say that I thought that one was really dumb. And there were some other things that didn't make sense, weren't explained at all, or contradicted things in the first two games.

I know that story was never really the strongest part of these games, but The Cole Train definitely was. And one of my biggest complaints with Gears 3 is that The Cole Train just up and disappears from the story for a large portion of the game. Yes, there is a lot of The Cole Train early on (including a section where you play as him, which includes one of the best Cole Train moments), but it wasn't enough to make up for his absence later in the game. And yes, I remember that there was a large lead up to The Cole Train's appearance in Gears 2, but his intro in Gears 2 was better than his best moments in Gears 3, and that wasn't even the best Cole Train moment in Gears 2 (his little "speech" to the Locust Queen wins that award). And then, of course, there was The Cole Train Rap in Gears 1, so I feel a little disappointed with the amount of Cole Train in Gears 3. Too top heavy, left me wanting for him through large stretches of the game, and with only fake Chris Rock (or at least I thought Jace sounded a little like Chris Rock) and Claudia Black to (poorly) fill the void.

Ice T, who apart from holding fake guns in images that are much taller than I initially thought, voiced the character Griffin in Gears 3 (a much smaller role than I was hoping for), and whose band did a surprisingly shreddy song that plays during the credits of Gears of War 3.

I know most of what I wrote sounds negative, because it is, but remember that while this game is still my least favorite of the three, I still think it's a great game that everyone who likes gun-based-combat games should play. I just liked it less than the other two. I still wholeheartedly endorse it, however. So if you haven't played it yet, play it.

That's it. Nothing else on the immediate "play this" list. With Yakuza Dead Souls and Asura's Wrath still just a bit over my price range (well, Dead Souls is probably worth the money, but I got Yakuza 3 and 4 for real cheap, so I was hoping I could do the same, and Asura's Wrath is still way higher than I want to pay (I want to pay $20)), and those are about the only new-ish games out there that I want to buy. I could probably borrow another game from my cousin. He has Killzone 3, and isn't playing that, so I guess I could play that. Or maybe I'll go back to Mass Effect 3 and beat that on Insanity (though I know at least one person who will tell me to "forget about Mass Effect 3"). I'll probably do that. I have to S-Rank it at some point. I did for the first two, so I'm obligated by law to do it for this one.*

Oh yeah, E3 is soon. I'm really hoping that Nintendo shows off a bunch of awesome stuff. I love Nintendo, and in my heart they will always be my favorite, but I hope that the Wii U has more games worth buying than the Wii did. Don't get me wrong, I played most of the Nintendo published games like Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, and a lot of the good third party stuff like No More Heroes and Red Steel 2. But my collection of Wii games is dwarfed by the number of PS3 and 360 games I have. So I hope Nintendo blows us all away once again.

So far as Sony and Microsoft go, well, I'm not expecting much. Sony is probably going to push hard for Vita, which I don't really care about (not unless there's a serious price cut or a ton of games I want for it), and Microsoft's will probably be mad-boring once again (at least past the obligatory Call of Duty opening).

*Not really. By which I mean the obligated by law part. I did S-Rank the first two Mass Effect games.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Oh, I should add that my comments in no way mean that I dislike Claudia Black, I think she is very good at what she does. But she's also kinda like Nolan North where her voice sticks out to me, and is instantly recognizable, and I always just imagine it's her, and not the character she is voicing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I also found Gears of War 3 to be a little flat. I've beaten it on Hardened difficulty twice (once single, once with my brother) and it really isn't as exciting as two. I can't exactly say why but not one single part of Gears of War 3 stands out to me as great and compelling. It's a well-made game, and any fan of the first two owes it to themselves to play it, but it doesn't stand up to the second one at all. For that matter, the only things about the third that really stand out to me are

1) The eye-rollingly annoying presence of fucking zombies

2) The final boss, which lasts an annoyingly long time and she ends up getting killed in a cutscene WITH A KNIFE.

3) The fucking gunkers, which I groaned about every time I came across them.

I need to mention that I was also annoyed at the limited sniper rifle abilities. I kept the sniper all throughout Gears of War 2 and used it often, more than any gun except the Lancer. Its limitations in Gears 3 got on my nerves.

And then there's the story, which I thought was suitably stupid for the dudebro attitude and dialog given by the characters, but doesn't really hold anything as memorable as Cole's total dissing of the Queen towards the end of the second game.

On a final note, the worst moment in the entire Gears series is the boss fight against RAAM in the first one. I hated that fight.

So, yes, in short I agree with you. Gears of War 3 is a solid game but it doesn't hold up to its predecessors.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

OK, so I finally decided to read through this. I meant to when you first posted it, but damn dawg, das a lotta text. So I got lazy and gave it a miss... But after playing through some more Gears 3 lately (a lot of horde mode and some bot matches, along with the occasional foray into the campaign arcade mode), I've definitely come to the conclusion that yes, Gears 3's campaign is undoubtedly the worst of the lot.

Pretty much for nearly all of the reasons you brought up. The campaign is kinda dull and not very inspired, especially when compared to such memorable moments like, as you pointed out, the raft boss battle in Gears 2, or when you're moving inside that giant whatever the fuck, or also making your way through the kryll-infested streets using lights to ward them away during Gears 1. Gears 3 does have that scenario when you finally reach hoffman and it turns into a kind of pseudo-tower-defence thing, which was neat, but otherwise it's a lot of boring desert mountainsides. The portion where you play as Cole I really enjoyed and I too was saddened to see both him & Baird just outright disappear from the story during the halfway point.

The end boss for Gears 3 is pretty crappy as well, as is the submarine sequence. I do think that the story and the dialogue is the best of the bunch, though. I always loved (still completed the campaign three times) seeing Marcus fucking flip out against Griffin. A significant amount more swearing overall across the script. And while this will no doubts appear a little juvenile, but I think it's sorta what made me enjoy the dialogue so much. These are some brutish, burly ogres of men, so I'd damn well expect a whole lotta swearing. Especially considering the circumstances.

It definitely has the most refined gameplay, and its horde mode is a significant improvement over Gears 2's. I understand that the multiplayer is meant to be better, but I haven't got GOLD so my competitive streak is restricted to playing split-screen along with bots. But speaking for the campaign, I fully agree in that Gears 3 is a little drab, a little flat when compared to the brilliant campaigns from the first two. As I've said earlier, though, the inclusion of 4-player coop no doubt negates some of those complaints in some respects.

davidinwrofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By davidinwrofy

The campaign is only a small part of the overall experience for me because I have spent 99% of my time with the game playing Versus and Horde online. If that's how you play the game, there can be little doubt that Gears 3 is by far the best in the trilogy.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Deranged

Hmm, the ONLY thing I enjoyed from Gears 2 was the campaign and the addition of horde mode. Everything else was a massive step-down from the first Gears, which to this day, I still hold as being the best. Keep in note, I loved both campaign and multiplayer but most of nuisances with the game stem from multiplayer and controls.

-I've beaten Gears 1 campaign at least 6 times by myself and co-op included. I played the multiplayer since it released in '06 and I was damn good at it. It was truly one of the only multiplayer competitive games left that took true skill anymore to be "really good". (at least on the Xbox). The controls weren't perfect, but it took time to master them and once you did, it was almost an art to maneuver around players and other enemies. Sure, the game had a lot of glitches, but they weren't exactly game-breaking and almost made the game more enjoyable.

-Gears 2 was a significant step-up in story-telling from the first game and besides the addition of some new weapons and horde, the positives end there for me. I liked the graphical jump and the additions of added colours into the game's palette, but I still miss the gothic architectural feel and look of the first game. My biggest complaint lies within how the game controlled. Your character felt like a slug. You walked slower, moved slower, shot slower in some instances (multiplayer-wise). It took out the fast-paced action that the first game had and just overall made it sluggish. The lag didn't help much either.

Secondly, this transferred onto the game's multiplayer. While it wasn't bad perse(when it actually worked), the game's controls really hindered the entire experience for me, although I found the urge to constantly come back and team up with my consistant group of friends who were all equally addicted to the series as I was. Here, the problems only arose. It seems as if Epic hated the fact that the Gnasher become so utterly popular that in turn, they ended up nerfing it. You could no longer shoot instantly after roadie running, the gun shot slower and there was an almost annoying inconsistency when trying to shoot from the hip, creating a massive dependance on hard-aiming.

- Gears 3. After the release of the second game, my expectations were slightly lowered but as the release date slowly creeped up, they continued to rise. The story was well done, the tone was set as good as it was in the first two games, making humanity feel helpless now without a solid, safe base to call home and constantly on the run. There were a few quite strong emotional moments, and the voice acting was terrific as always.

Now the controls. This section here is where I had literally NO complaints for at all. The absolute grace and fluidity of every movement you made was mind-blowing when compared to the first two games. It was the most impressive re-modelling for the controls out of the three games and I was blown away by it. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, easily some of the best I've seen on the Xbox. The lighting is simply fantastic.

Now, my final and last complaint comes in the form of multiplayer(again). I loved how they re-vamped Horde mode, gave a reason to constantly come back to it and Beast mode was a enticing addition as well. The worst part in the multiplayer has to be how some of the newly added weapons created an unfavourable feel to the game. The addition of the sawed off and the retro lancer seemed to make the game feel... too noob friendly. The game became to easy for anyone to play now. During my time in Gears 1, a new or moderately consistant player had no chance at taking me on 1 v 1 in a shotgun showdown, but now, it all became too easy. I'm not putting all the blame on the sawed-off though, it also comes in the form of the Gnasher as well. It now boasted even longer range capabilities and there was an almost 100% guarantee that you'd instantly kill someone once getting within 2 feet of them in one, single shot.

The most positive thing? The dedicated serves and overall dedication from Epic themselves on a weekly basis. I've never seen a game receive such care from the developers on the Xbox. There was literally no lag once the dedicated servers were running and the event weekends were a spectacular addition to change up the feel of the game and give players a solid incentive to keep coming back for more.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By trylks

@davidinwrofy said:

The campaign is only a small part of the overall experience for me because I have spent 99% of my time with the game playing Versus and Horde online. If that's how you play the game, there can be little doubt that Gears 3 is by far the best in the trilogy.

I think that's the point, Gears 3 is probably better than the other games wrt the online capabilities, but for those expecting to get some fun alone with a game this is probably the worst of the three. IMHO, the campaign in the first one is still the best, the evolution has been to put more effort on online and less on the campaign, which is fine for most of the Gears gamers, but not all of them. Most games are focusing more and more on the online modes, and with that they are losing one of the features of interactive entertainment, which is to be able to play whenever fits you. To play online you have to agree with someone to be there at some time and so on, I still prefer the loneliness of the old games.

This is happening with most franchises and genres, consider the examples of Mass Effect or Dead Space.

Bangarang182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bangarang182

Hands down the multiplayer is the best in GEARS 3. It was my go to game for quite a while as there aren't very many third-person games that I loved to play online.

But in my opinion Gears 2 was the best campaign. It just felt better pacing and story wise. It kept dripping out little these details about the world while asking more questions at the same time, and something about that seemed to really draw me in. THAT and it was Dom's story. None of my friends admitted it, but I personally shed a tear or too when he has to kill his own wife. And Gears 3 didn't hit me like that, not even when Dom died. Idk Gears 2 was just so much more well done campaign wise.

Gears 3 also felt too long, am I the only one that thinks that? It just kept going and going....

But one thing I did notice is that I played way more horde mode in 2 than 3, idk why but it just wasn't exciting anymore. Probably because every game has a horde mode now.

Great post by the way MooseyMcMan. But I gotta say I do not remember Jace being in Gears 2, so I guess it didn't bother me when they changed his voice.

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By manicraider

Gears 3 dropped the ball during it's campaign. Kinda makes me mad that I invested time into the story of the first two games. The multiplayer is good though, especially if you have a good team.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.