Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

I Am Young Clifford Blazinski's Bitch

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Branthog

I talked so much yang in the months leading to GoW3. I didn't need more bro-dude. I didn't need more roided out rah rah. I didn't need more of the GoW story (I could barely remember much from the first two) and while I'd buy it, I probably wouldn't play it for a long time and would have been just fine if it took another couple years to be released.

Then, it arrived on my doorstep on launch day. Put the disc in. Was just going to play through the opening. You know, just enough to tell myself "yeah, I'll get around to the rest some day". Instead I reached the middle of Act 4 in one sitting and finished the rest in another sitting the next evening. It was a wild ride, a smooth experience, followed by a pretty enjoyable (if frustrating) multiplayer. It was enough to sell me on the DLC pass and decide that from now on, I'm just going to STFU and play what ever Cliffy sticks in front of me, until he gives me a good reason not to.

I've been surprised by games, but rarely have they turned my mind and mood around so quickly and so thoroughly like that. I am, honestly, kind of ashamed that I ever said I had my fill of GoW and didn't care about more of the story. I'm a douche.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I've been playing Gears 1 co op on the PC with my cousin and.. I had simply forgotten how fucking amazing Gears of War is. It's been a long time.

So I totally believe you when you say Gears 3 swept you off your feet and made you Cliffy B's bitch! That shit is so fucking awesome. 

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By matthew

Confession is always good for the soul. It's good to come clean every now and again, you know?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Glad to see it made you see.
    Too often we let hype and shit do the talking, but all we need to do is put the disc in and play to notice that its all talk and other's opinions!

I'm not much of a fan of any kind of shooter with the exception of Perfect Dark/Timesplitters, but Gears totally had me the moment I played Gears 2 at a friend's, the gameplay is just solid and the characters aren't as stereotype as you'd think. 

Go Cliffy (and team)!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DonPixel

Yeah Cliff is good, He knows how to make things fun

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Branthog
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Glad to see it made you see. Too often we let hype and shit do the talking, but all we need to do is put the disc in and play to notice that its all talk and other's opinions!  I'm not much of a fan of any kind of shooter with the exception of Perfect Dark/Timesplitters, but Gears totally had me the moment I played Gears 2 at a friend's, the gameplay is just solid and the characters aren't as stereotype as you'd think.   Go Cliffy (and team)!
    It's weird, because I never particularly liked Gears but didn't dislike it, either. When it launched and I'd play it, I was having a blast. Then I'd be done and I wouldn't care anymore. It wasn't a "countdown until launch" type of game for me, ever. Actually, I spent part of this year insisting that I wish GoW would just be over, so Cliffy could do something else new and amazing (I'm a fan).

And, you know? I discovered that I didn't despise the characters as much as I thought I did. In fact, I shouted out loud during the whole Cole sequence (you know which one), because it was just so damn well done.

. . . I also . . . shouted "I'm the Cole Train, Baby! Whooooooooooooo!" way too many times during the game. :D

I think it sort of ties into my perspective on a lot of the non-game elements of things. I've mentioned, before, my frustration and distaste over COD and Halo marketing and promotions. Yet, I also find them fascinating and am happy to get caught up in them as a ridiculous spectacle for a short time. Watching them shut down Fifth Ave in NY so Master Chief could ride in a wart hog up to the game store and "deliver the first copy" of Halo 3, while the streets filled with the epic theme song was so incredibly stupid and yet so god damned awesome.

Having said all this, I do really hope that the next Cliffy B. joint is not Gears related. I guess he's probably already starting on whatever is going to be the new at-launch franchise for the next console, maybe.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @Branthog
    I totally agree, all that hype (no matter how dumb) is pretty grand to watch, gaming's growing up you know?
    I used to be laughed at in school for playing Megaman instead of being normal and playing with barbies, but now everyone's got a game console!

Its all about the fun, not what others (be they friends, forums or PR men) claim that the game is.
    Demo it, rent it, try it and return it (always keep the receipt!) and form your own opinion!

And Cole is just great, he keeps the humor in the action scenes, he's over the top!
    I had to pause the game because I was getting shot up cus I was so busy laughing at his "GUESS WHO MOTHERFUCKERS" in the hotel, literally had me in stitches.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By XenoNick

The Cole Train runs on whole grain, baby! Whoo!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I found myself having the most fun with Gears 3 over the over 2. I never played the MP in 1 as by the time I got the game everyone was pro and had no luck. Gears 2 I really got into the multiplayer (Reached level 100) but the issues with host advantage made it hard to enjoy. At least now on Gears 3 when I die it is because I messed up or some pirck with a sawed off >_<.

I think their should be a downloadable demo for those on the fence to try it without having to drop £40 / $60.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Branthog

If they put out Wheaties with Cole Train on the box, I would buy so many just to sit on my shelves. That'd be fantastic.

Also, GoW3 has been really cheap in the US. Amazon gave a $20 credit for pre-orders and I believe other outlets have done things like $30 credits or simply $30 for the game. A local store in PDX is apparently selling the collector edition or whatever it is for about $80 . . . and then giving a $50 credit to you.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By stackboy

I was looking forward to Gears 3, but I didn't think I would be this impressed.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Matfei90

Being able to see the humanity in the world in Gears 3 really adds to it. Dilapidated playgrounds and shopping centres and stadiums (I'm only a bit over an hour into it), even just used product boxes lying about on the ship at the start gives you a really good look at how Sera was as a place to live.

Loving the game so far, can't wait to get back to it.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thehexeditor

@Matfei90 said:

Being able to see the humanity in the world in Gears 3 really adds to it. Dilapidated playgrounds and shopping centres and stadiums (I'm only a bit over an hour into it), even just used product boxes lying about on the ship at the start gives you a really good look at how Sera was as a place to live.

Loving the game so far, can't wait to get back to it.

"Do you ever feel like you're dead, but nobody ever told you?"

:[

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Matfei90

@thehexeditor: :(

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Go Cliffy (and team)!
    haha
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By veektarius

More of a Baird man myself. Almost to level 30 so I can play classic Baird with long-sleeved action! "Yeah, yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah... group hug."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.