Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 4

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

Twenty five years have passed since the decimation of the Locust & Lambent threats on the planet Sera. However a new race of monsters have taken their place and JD Fenix, son of series protagonist Marcus Fenix, has taken up the mantle in helping to protect humanity.

What's your vibe off the new trailer?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What's your vibe off the new trailer? (138 votes)

This is awesome! 19%
    This is awful! 25%
    Neither here nor there...somewhere in the middle. 56%

so below is the new trailer making the rounds- what are your thoughts on it? do you fall in line with vinny on the most recent beastcast? speaking as someone who played and thoroughly enjoyed 1 through 3, i think this looks really, really phoned-in. really cliche non-emotional moments, and i'm not even sure who this is meant to appeal to. also- what a terrible choice for a song. i get the whole 'it's gears so we have to do the quietly dark folk music trailer,' but 'the sound of silence?' REALLY?

• 
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not the best trailer but I didn't find it offensive or anything, hope its good I just went back through all the Gears games and had a good time.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By conmulligan

I really liked the first three games but I can't bring myself to give even the littlest of shits about this.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that a disturbed cover of sound of silence???

man fuck all video games.

Really the trailer doesnt really do much for me either way, still can't get over that quote that came out last week about the franchise direction though.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't humanize marcus fenix what are you doing

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Disturbed. OF COURSE they would use that shit-ass cover that Disturbed made.

Beyond that, the trailer feels like they are just trying too hard to harken back to the days of old GoW (soft song with action all around). I'll play the game when it comes out, but I'm still not sold on any of the protagonists or why I should give a shit about anything happening at all. So long as the gameplay is solid, the story is serviceable, and the multiplayer is functional and as balanced as possible, I'll be down for more GoW...

...unless David Draiman is in it...or any other Disturbed songs are in it. If they are, then fuck this game and the horse it rode in on. Fuck Disturbed. Fuck David Draiman.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Same as all of the other Gears trailers; stupidly overwrought and melodramatic for what these games are.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadyPingu

Seeing Marcus Fenix in a somewhat domestic setting is really fucking with me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Same as all of the other Gears trailers; stupidly overwrought and melodramatic for what these games are.

This. Every other game (besides Judgment) has a weirdly emotional trailer in there somewhere starting with the original's Mad World. It's mostly whatever and to be expected, though seeing Daddy Fenix living on a farm or whatever is pretty surreal. Noticed he's wearing the do rag again, completely ruining the symbolism of him removing it at the end of Gears 3.

That song, though... All it makes me think of is Ben Sadfleck now. That it's by Disturbed is all the more ruinous.

tejini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a sucker for this everytime. Gotta go replay 3 again

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By ez123

Really good. It tells I quick story and got me excited for the game.

"Last Day" for Gears 2 is still the best Gears trailer. I've never minded that the trailers and games don't match up most of the game. Gears 2 and 3 had a moment that tried to match up with what happened in the trailers but yeah, the general tone isn't one to one.

Judgment did have a more up-beat trailer/song which fits the games but it's not necessary. The song completely works. The Quantum Break ad with a nirvana cover is more of an example of a bad song choice.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying too hard. Please stop trying to recreate the Mad World trailer.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm into it. I liked all the previous games so I can't understand why people have been so down on this one (same with God of War).

The trailer follows their template of weirdly emotional stuff, but it has "of War" in the title so it doesn't really make sense to make it something lighthearted. And frankly, the games have been pretty depressing so it does fit the tone.

I hope the new enemies don't feel shoe-horned it, but I do like seeing a world years after some big events have taken place. Curious what they do with Marcus, since he's kind of an iconic character of the last generation.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I care about another gears of war but I hope it's good. Also, maybe I'm missing something but I'm not getting the hate for the song...I think it's okay.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@cmblasko: Marcus is generic and nowhere near as good as the GOAT Baird but it's not like they're trying to humanize a robot here. This isn't a Master Chief situation.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i laughed at the song choice but thought it was fine

people are going to keep having questions around marcus, so this is just putting it out there

i'm fine with it. video game trailers are rarely great

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

that was lame as hell.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18 ll_Exile_ll  Online

Seeing Marcus Fenix in a somewhat domestic setting is really fucking with me.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
    Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa that trailer is shit.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Atwa

They have been chasing that Mad World trailer ever since, and never quite reached there. Gears 2 had some cool trailers, this one was.. I don't know, OK?

Not doing much for me.

I actually laughed that he planted a tree then immediately fucked it up by carving into it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Depressingly indifferent.

Latinkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like a slice of white bread.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

when he was a kid he ran to daddy, now as a man he runs from alien. theres no way you don't treat that with the utmost gravitas.

should've used true colors by cyndi lauper.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cmblasko

@ez123 said:

@cmblasko: Marcus is generic and nowhere near as good as the GOAT Baird but it's not like they're trying to humanize a robot here. This isn't a Master Chief situation.

Just weird seeing him do dad stuff when my only frame of reference for him is as a killing machine soldier dude!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feels like they just want to play it safe and make another gears as gears game. I think it would have been better with no ties to marcus or have his son/daughter be a scientist like their grandparents rather than another dumb grunt like marcus.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Disturbed. Not so much Gears. Was an okay trailer I guess though.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of surprised that it wasn't a switcheroo styled trailer, where we think it's Scowly Bandeezy only to reveal as the bandanna is tied and with a turn towards the camera...it's Another Dude. I really don't have much connection to the characters of this particular 'verse, as they seem to be chainsaw gun delivery automatons.

Rating: Chaotic Neutral.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By BoOzak

Marcus looks cartoonish without his armour. Like what i'd imagine a 40k space marine to look like. Only I dont think Marcus has been genetically enhanced. (I havent read the novels)

Anyway, new guy looks weird. I dont have anything else to add.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Its Gears of War, its awesome by definition.

Seriously, look up the word "Awesome" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Marcus Fenix with his chainsaw gun.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't know if I care about another gears of war but I hope it's good. Also, maybe I'm missing something but I'm not getting the hate for the song...I think it's okay.

Honestly, I think it's a pretty great cover of the original. I was more impressed that Disturbed actually did it and it's pretty unique compared to others. I'm not understanding the hate other than 'OMG DISTURBED DID IT THAT'S SOOOO 90s NU-METAL'

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think when GoW came out the game play was interesting enough to disguise that they story, characters. But , now the game play is in everything, so they weird story, odd characters, and funky world view is just creepy.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game developers: Don't make quadrilogies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.