Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gemini Rue

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 24, 2011

An intense indie adventure for the PC and iOS, set in a bleak future dominated by a corrupt crime syndicate. The game was the 2010 winner of the Independent Game Festival Student Showcase.

Is the main appeal of this game the old school look?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

So I'm playing through this at the moment, I'm 17 and I've hardly ever played adventure games in the past, I have Monkey Island on my iPhone and I'm also playing The Next Big Thing aswell as the BttF games from Telltale so I'm really getting into it for the first time

So this means that I have  no nostalgia about these kind of games but I still like the look of this game, just the sound of "Space Noir" excites me, but how would this game be with detailed HD graphics? Would that ruin it for you guys? I know it was a small indie team but the voice acting still bothers me alittle

But I'll admit, if this game looked "modern" so to speak I'd probably like it more

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sayishere

I havent bought this yet, i plan to, i know it may come on steam? no idea when though. I wonder if your copy will transfer over to steam in anyway?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Vodun

For me the sprite based graphics are a big sell. Don't know if it's nostalgia, but I really appreciate the look it lends to a game. That being said, I wouldn't mind if it had higher resolution assets either. As long as the graphics are artistically good I couldn't give to shits for how technically advanced (or not) they are.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Winternet

If you have experienced older adventure point n click games you may get an extra something from this game. Nevertheless, this game is awesome either way.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By daavpuke

It would've lost a little of its luster with adapted graphics for me. The immensely well designed storyline and classic point and click vibe demanded such an approach to truly spur people to look into the story and audio for atmosphere, rather than just be dazzled by the pretty lights.  BTTF looks very ugly and outdated, because it tried to adapt to modern standards, so my guess is if Telltale couldn't pull it off then people with substantially less means wouldn't even have a shot.   Also, this is a huge selling point for any fan of the classic games from Lucas Arts and Sierra, that created that exact same atmosphere.

Additionally, don't forget this was a student project. Just 1 dude made this game and it was later just adapted by Wadjet, which is still a very small development team in all.

Regardless of anything, Gemini Rue breathes new life into the classic point and click genre and surpasses this with a terrific experience that is well worth the purchase. In fact, it's still one of my favorite games this year.

TreeHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TreeHouse

i think the old school visuals allow your brain to fill in the blanks which kinda works for me in adventure games. That is why i thought the portraits that come up (when people talk) look a bit out of place because they clash with the image i had created in my head (if that makes any sense).

But yeah the visuals are definately part of the appeal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.