I don't understand why there are no decent G.I. Joe games

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Edited By Slag

Of all the 1980's era classic cartoon/movie properties I've always felt GiJoe should be the easiest to make a decent game out of.  And yet that that has never seemed to even come close happening for reasons I can't fathom.

Given War for Cybertron and the upcoming Fall of Cybertron , Transformers feels the "closest" to having realized the potential of the property. He-man, Voltron, Thundercats agmes are basically non-existent Ghostbusters games are typically meh ( Ghostbusters the Game being at least a halfway attempt) and Dragon Ball Z is Dragon Ball Z. The Tron franchise might be the best, if for no other reaosn than the millions of lightcycle knockoff mini games it spawned across various properties.

Aside from a forgettable side scrollers in the late 80's and the dreadful adaption of the live action "accelerator" suit joke of a movie it's been a barren wasteland for the G.I.Joe license.

GiJoe is in theory a small anti-terrorist unit going on small surgical strikes against Cobra (terrorists with world domination goals), Night Creepers (professional ninja assassins) and MARS (an international  arms dealer) among others. That premise sounds straight up ripped out of any number of shooters out there today. I would think GiJoe could easily be adopted into a reasonable first person based squad shooter, especially if the early classic comic storylines (written by esteemable Larry Hama) were the source of inspiration instead of the goofy cartoon with all its' laser lights and Cobra-La and all that jazz. There were over 150 issues of the Marvel series, so coming up with an adaptable scenario shouldn't be difficult. 

I would think there would also be a market for it. Ancedotally I know a lot of parents who have kids who wants to play FPS games, but won't let them due to excessive violence. I think GiJoe could possibly tame it down into a T for teen type shooter with the brand giving the game some punch to keep it being DOA at retail.

The fact that no one has even attempted anything remotely like this blows my mind, given how strong the brand still is. Even if they put out some 2 out of 5 or 3 out of 5 turd of game it would seem to me to be some easy money for Hasbro.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Slag

Of all the 1980's era classic cartoon/movie properties I've always felt GiJoe should be the easiest to make a decent game out of.  And yet that that has never seemed to even come close happening for reasons I can't fathom.

Given War for Cybertron and the upcoming Fall of Cybertron , Transformers feels the "closest" to having realized the potential of the property. He-man, Voltron, Thundercats agmes are basically non-existent Ghostbusters games are typically meh ( Ghostbusters the Game being at least a halfway attempt) and Dragon Ball Z is Dragon Ball Z. The Tron franchise might be the best, if for no other reaosn than the millions of lightcycle knockoff mini games it spawned across various properties.

Aside from a forgettable side scrollers in the late 80's and the dreadful adaption of the live action "accelerator" suit joke of a movie it's been a barren wasteland for the G.I.Joe license.

GiJoe is in theory a small anti-terrorist unit going on small surgical strikes against Cobra (terrorists with world domination goals), Night Creepers (professional ninja assassins) and MARS (an international  arms dealer) among others. That premise sounds straight up ripped out of any number of shooters out there today. I would think GiJoe could easily be adopted into a reasonable first person based squad shooter, especially if the early classic comic storylines (written by esteemable Larry Hama) were the source of inspiration instead of the goofy cartoon with all its' laser lights and Cobra-La and all that jazz. There were over 150 issues of the Marvel series, so coming up with an adaptable scenario shouldn't be difficult. 

I would think there would also be a market for it. Ancedotally I know a lot of parents who have kids who wants to play FPS games, but won't let them due to excessive violence. I think GiJoe could possibly tame it down into a T for teen type shooter with the brand giving the game some punch to keep it being DOA at retail.

The fact that no one has even attempted anything remotely like this blows my mind, given how strong the brand still is. Even if they put out some 2 out of 5 or 3 out of 5 turd of game it would seem to me to be some easy money for Hasbro.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Slag

and I forgot to mention Snake-Eyes.

who could basically have his own game.

The guy is practically made for games, he is Mute a ninja AND a Commando all while wearing a skin-tight all black body suit.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

@Slag said:

and I forgot to mention Snake-Eyes.

who could basically have his own game.

The guy is practically made for games, he is Mute a ninja AND a Commando all while wearing a skin-tight all black body suit.

I guess you could just play Ninja Gaiden with the volume turned down.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Slag
    @Ravenlight: hah true!

I do like Ninja Gaiden,  loved all the cutscenes in the original game which seemed so amazing at the time.
    just think GiJoe is a huge missed opportunity low hanging fruit potential IP.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yeah, there could be some cool-ass-mother-fucking GI Joe games. Too bad there isn't, I would love to play as Snake-Eyes whippin' dudes' asses.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By kalmis

I though that the C64 G.I. Joe hame was great back in the day. Although remembering it probably with rose-tinted glasses. Just remember that you could choose our own dude from the G.I. Joe roster. Which was unheard of back then.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Slag
    @kalmis: even if that game was rad (never got to play the C64 one but it sounds like it was cool from what you said), they are way overdue for another one.

@xobballox
    word.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.