Possible god of war 4 tease in Ascension?

#1 Posted by mrfluke (5092 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/wikis/god-of-war-ascension/Cistern_Painting_Code_%28QUJIKPHIUEEEKMJQUJ%29

apparently there was some secret painting in god of war ascension that people have deciphered already, that revealed these paintings above (check the link above to get the full context)

say what you will about this series, personally im very very interested to see what a god of war 4 would be, considering at the end of 3 he pretty much killed everyone thats related to greek mythology, and he IS still alive.

really hope this is them drumming up a reason for him to fight other mythologies god's now.

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

Yeah, this is interesting. I just hope they go with a new mythological setting in 4. Ditch Kratos altogether and start over.

#3 Edited by Yummylee (21260 posts) -
@mariachimacabre said:

Yeah, this is interesting. I just hope they go with a new mythological setting in 4. Ditch Kratos altogether and start over.

While I'd definitely want to have the series move into a different setting, I wouldn't mind if Kratos was still onboard. Just have him somehow magically transport into different eras, and use that as an opportunity to create something that's a little more self-aware and goofy. One of the main detriments to the series is how weirdly serious it takes itself. It worked well enough in the original, but it's now become a cliche for Kratos to mope about his dead family as a means to show you that, deep down, GoW has a heart. When really the only heart that should be on display are the ones Kratos is ripping out of his enemies. GoW3 took it a new level, and I felt like swallowing my fist after all of that ''Hope'' horseshit.

Kratos himself is such a wonderfully ridiculous caricature that I'd say there's a lot of potential for throwing him into time periods where he's completely out of his element.

Chances are high that if they do take the series into a whole new setting, though, that it'll be a complete reboot -- main character included. Which I'd still be fine with, but I would gladly welcome something silly like Kratos: God of Time Travel as well.

#4 Posted by mrfluke (5092 posts) -

eh im cool with them keeping kratos and making him essentially become an atheist's power fantasy :P

#5 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Does anyone remember the secret phone number code from the first game? If you broke two specific statues and beat the game you would be given a code. After solving the code you would be left with phone number and if you called that then you'd get this:

#6 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

So he is either fighting the sun, or gravity. Either way I wish him luck

#7 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

Does anyone remember the secret phone number code from the first game? If you broke two specific statues and beat the game you would be given a code. After solving the code you would be left with phone number and if you called that then you'd get this:

8 years later and it sill works.

#8 Edited by mrfluke (5092 posts) -

@_chad said:

@sathingtonwaltz said:

8 years later and it sill works.

awesome,

also its more proof that this game is very self aware of its ridiculousness

#9 Posted by probablytuna (3539 posts) -

After fighting giant ass Titans, I think it's time Kratos takes on planets themselves. Defeat the entire solar system!

#10 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2197 posts) -

Kratos in space is a great idea.

#11 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Can't beat Asura's Wrath, don't even try

#12 Edited by ReCkLeSs_X (459 posts) -

I'd love to see other mythologies thrown into the mix. Kratos can stay too!

#13 Posted by mrfluke (5092 posts) -

Can't beat Asura's Wrath, don't even try

FUCKING A! damm right!

#14 Posted by ZOnikJJ (258 posts) -

I really hope this indicates that Santa Monica Studio is working on a major project that isn't part of the God of War universe.

#15 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

I just want it to be a new setting with a new character.

I don't think Santa Monica has it in them to make Kratos a character that can propel 1-3+ more sequels - his journey is pretty much over, trail of blood or not.

#16 Posted by Nilazz (607 posts) -

Seeing as in Dead Space 3 you fight a goddamn moon, why not let Kratos take on a planet or two?

#17 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

ha, that's actually pretty neat!

Still havent got round to playing ascension yet (too many other games to get through) But i loved GoW3, would be interested to see where they thought they could take the series now.

or maybe it's a completely different game tease? a la destiny poster in halo game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.