Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GOG.com

Concept »

A digital distribution platform that focuses on providing DRM-free computer games, both old and new.

Big GOG sale on D&D games

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By endaround

In celebration of their 3rd birthday GOG is putting all of their D&D catalog on sale with a sliding percentage off depending on how many you buy or alreay own. The first game nets you 20% off, 2 games gets you 25%, etc up until the 9th game when you get everything 60% off. Now that does get you weird circumstance like saying you'll never want Demon Stone but buying that with the other 8 costs you $0.19. For those wanting to get into the Infinity Engine games, this is a great opportunity.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/dnd_promo

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Aetheldod

Just bumping this thread .... I´ve been looking at vids if I want to plunge the cash for this games , I totaly skiped this games because at the time I was exclusively playing consoles and to be honest I tought that rpgs were only good if they came from japan , the ignorance :( and since this type of games I have a bare minimum of experience (I´ve only played the fallout games) , but so far they look good , except for Demon Stone and Never Nights , 3d game graphics age quite horribly , but the gameplay maybe good ... so people with experience on this games what can you give me as advice ... So far im kind of a Bioware whore so the Baldur´s Gate games seem like a no brainer , so what can you tell me of the rest of the games?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Aetheldod: Get all the infinity engine games.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

I've always wanted to play Demon Stone....

EDIT: I'm not being sarcastic, I just remember looking at it when it first came out and thinking it was cool.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aetheldod

@FancySoapsMan: Yeah the more I look at them the more I want them, altho can you tell me anything about Neverwinter nights?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Aetheldod said:

@FancySoapsMan: Yeah the more I look at them the more I want them, altho can you tell me anything about Neverwinter nights?

From what I've read about it, the best part is the MP and the community created content.
    Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Zelyre

Planescape has the best RPG story of all time. Of all time. It's the best game on the list. Baldur's Gate 2 is excellent as well. They look old, but here's my favorite part of PC gaming... Mods!

This lets you run Baldur's Gate 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2, and Planescape at any resolution you want. The backgrounds were all pre-rendered and at high resolutions still look great. It will let you play it widescreen as well, without stretching out the graphics. There are mods there as well, though I suggest only installing the bug fixes for your first playthroughs.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

I don't suggest playing a spell caster in BG1 until you're familiar with the system. You cap out at a very low level in BG1 and at the end, are still very weak as a caster. In Baldur's Gate 2, late game casters are god like.

Icewind Dale is essentially all battles. It's tactical combat first and foremost.

Temple of Elemental Evil is much like Icewind Dale in that it is mostly battles first. I played it when it first came out, fun but very buggy. It was also the first D&D 3.5 game. Both series are entertaining, but I consider Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape must plays.

NWN is fun, but its more of a hack and slash adventure. The first NWN's single player feels more like a tech demo, a demo module to show off what can be done with their toolkit, which was -powerful-. Hordes of the Underdark was excellent. If you have any urge to create an RPG, NWN is an excellent tool if you put the time into learning it. If you're familiar with C or Java, you can write scripts as well. The community is still strong for this old game.

I've never played Dragonshard. Though, I believe it's an RTS/RPG hybrid.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetheldod

@Zelyre: Thanks for the answer :D

Dont worry tho I dont play a spellcaster :P ..... so it seems like a good deal after all

Absolute_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Absolute_Zero

I already bought TrackMania 2, and that SEGA sale's giving me funny looks. My poor wallet @_@.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By jacksukeru

I bought Neverwinter Nights from there like a year ago, someday I'll play it.

Actually, I'm gonna buy Baldur's Gate 1 as well. I played it around the time it was released, but couldn't play it more than maybe half an hour because of reasons. I'm still curious about it.

Edit: My avatar suddenly feel really approriate.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By monetarydread

i was going to buy some but i realized i own everything already and i can't justify buying them again, even though i would no longer have to fiddle with DOSbox.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By BaneFireLord

Hey, is it worth it to pick up Baldur's Gate II at this point if you've never played it before, or would it be completely spoiled in comparison to today's Dragon Ages and whatnot?

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FateOfNever

Some of those sound really tempting. Though I already own hard copies of BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2, NWN and ToEE. Though I don't own any of the expansions, but, eeeeh, I don't know if I'd really want to drop the money on things I already own. But, Demon Stone, Dragonshard, and Planescape: Torment are all tempting...

This has also made me realize, wow, I own a lot of the infinity engine games, from when they came out no less, I kind of actually like coming to that realization.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By owl_of_minerva

@BaneFireLord: Baldur's Gate II is one of the better narrative-focused RPGs and rather better than DA 1 & 2, you should get it for sure.

@Aetheldod: Get BG 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight Mod. You won't regret the purchase. Neverwinter Nights is a multiplayer-focused game, and the singeplayer campaign is horrible; it's a clumsily executed Diablo-Baldur's Gate hybrid that's slow and boring with bad writing. If you intended to play it multiplayer or mess around with creating content it might be more worth it.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zelyre

@BaneFireLord said:

Hey, is it worth it to pick up Baldur's Gate II at this point if you've never played it before, or would it be completely spoiled in comparison to today's Dragon Ages and whatnot?

I felt Dragon Age did what Baldur's Gate 2 did in a more modern fashion, but Baldur's Gate 2 did those same things in a better fashion. Baldur's Gate 2 is a much more complicated game, both gameplay and story wise. Whether you find BG2's gameplay better or not, if you give it a chance, I think you'll find the overall experience much better.

If Dragon Age 1 is A New Hope on Blu Ray, Baldur's Gate 2 is Star Wars on laser disk.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Aetheldod said:

The original campaign for Neverwinter Nights is the single worst thing Bioware has ever done. Yes. Even worse than Jade Empire. Yes, Even worse than Dragon Age 2. It's long, boring and generally protracted, with no real interesting characters or involved combat. That being said, I'm to understand that Hordes of the Underdark and some of the modules included with Kingmaker are quite good. Neverwinter Nights was always more about its multiplayer and fan content than the developer stuff anyways.

As for the rest of the catalog, it's pretty much a selection of the best games exclusive to GOG at the moment. Yeah, there is Demon Stone and Dragonshard to muck up your discount, but pretty much every other game is worth getting. I've said my pieces about Baldur's Gate,Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Planescape, and I would recommend them to just about anyone with the patience to deal with some of the crap that old games throw their way.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By NekuCTR

Starting to love GOG more and more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.