Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gone Home

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 15, 2013

Set in a large multi-story house during a 1995 thunderstorm, Gone Home is a first-person exploration game where a young woman finds out what happened to her family since she was away on a long overseas trip.

Parents [SPOILER]

Arrowtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi , I just finished the game and now I've a huge problem :
    What happened to parents ? I saw somewhere that they were on their anniversary or something like that so here come my questions :
    1 . Where was it implied that they were on their anniversary ?

2 . Why should they go somewhere when they know they're daughter is coming home ?

btw I've another question too : Who had left that second message ?(who was the crying woman)

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By emfromthesea

In regards to the parents: yes, they were on their anniversary. I guess they assumed Sam would be able to keep her company until the parents got back.

In regards to the crying woman: that was Lonnie. The two messages (before your own message) were her's. This was when she was trying to contact Sam after having a change of plans.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

What that guy said ^

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

As far as why would they go, they didn't know exactly when Katie would be returning. This was the 90's after all, an era before we were all tied together by nearly ubiquitous interent and cell access. Also, their marriage was in full crisis mode, and I think they both probably knew their anniversary was an important time to start rebuilding it.

Arrowtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all !
    Just this question is still unanswered :

Where was it implied that they were on their anniversary ?

I did see the letter in which they had said that sam was grounded for rest of the month but they hadn't mentioned anything about the anniversary .

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6 chaser324  Moderator

@arrowtic: I think it was referenced in multiple places. I specifically recall it being marked on the calendar in the kitchen.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lonnie left her messages on the answering machine (first two) then there was the one from Katie saying she was coming home on short notice.

We know that Lonnie left her messages after Terry and Jan had left, and given that Katie left her message after that point in time I don't think they even knew that she was coming home.

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The parents weren't actually on their anniversary, at least not in any traditional sense. If you hunt around enough, you'll find they've been having marriage troubles over the last year, with your mom fantasizing about cheating on your dad with a local fireman. They're actually currently at a couples therapy retreat when you show up. Now, what is causing the problems on your dad's side? Well... just poke around your dad's study as well as the basement and see what you can put together.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By emfromthesea

@arrowtic said:

Thank you all !

Just this question is still unanswered :

Where was it implied that they were on their anniversary ?

I did see the letter in which they had said that sam was grounded for rest of the month but they hadn't mentioned anything about the anniversary .

In the garage I believe there was a note on the door telling Sam that they were away on their anniversary from June 2nd-7th. Or something like that.

Arrowtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arrowtic

Thank you all again !

@sor_eddie : I did figure out about dad and oscar and also mom & rick , but I didn't see anything about anniversary . now that you mentioned therapy : Where was that marriage therapy mentioned ?

Thanks @chaser324 , I hadn't looked at calendar .

btw from what I got , dad's books became successful right ?(based on that publisher note in basement)

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arrowtic: If you look in the indoor garden area in the east wing, there's a pamphlet about couples therapy - on the back, it has a date written down and circled, which is the same week as their anniversary, and when the game takes place.

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrJorOwe

The parents weren't actually on their anniversary, at least not in any traditional sense. If you hunt around enough, you'll find they've been having marriage troubles over the last year, with your mom fantasizing about cheating on your dad with a local fireman. They're actually currently at a couples therapy retreat when you show up. Now, what is causing the problems on your dad's side? Well... just poke around your dad's study as well as the basement and see what you can put together.

Yeah this is more accurate I think, the pamphlet in the drawer in the green house shows the couples retreat/therapy place, with the dates 2-7 july (i think) circled and "booked" written beside it, and the current date on the plane ticket is 6 july (i think). So not exactly an anniversary holiday. Could have these dates wrong because I keep forgetting to read dates all american like.

Also, they didn't know when she would be coming back, she said in one of her postcards that she was low on money so would only be able to get a cheap ticket on short notice, the answering machine message hadn't been read and they were already away.

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrjorowe: There's a mini-scheduled calender... somewhere - I think either the second floor hallway on the endtable or in the kitchen - that lists a date that you're getting back as a big "KATE COMES HOME!!!!", so it couldn't have been that short notice... Either that or you ended up coming way earlier than you were supposed to, which I suppose is a possibility. I don't remember what that date was.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

BTW: here's the Couples' Counseling Retreat pamphlet:

The calender:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.